Sign in to follow this  
Flavalicious

Would you play Dayz without Zombies?

304 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play Dayz without the zombie element?

• Yes, they mainly get in the way of what I'm actually playing the mod for (PvP)
    • No, the zombies are needed for the mod

I would like to see 10 times the amount of zeds in this game. Everywhere in the woods hills dead zone not just around buildings. But make it so that there is a chance they spawn when you running somewhere other then the town.

• Like 2

DayZ without zombies makes it not DayZ anymore.

I could see a version of the same game played as another type of survival game. After a nuclear war, survivors trying to make it. Perhaps make them slowly lose blood due to the radiation and they need to keep taking meds to stay alive.

Knowing gun sound levels and when to shoot them makes the zeds a little more than an annoyance. After playing for a while you know where to go to get your fist gun without much of a fuss, and then continue from there.

To me the slower/non erratic zombies of this patch have made it way easier in the sense of getting rid of them.

I look back at 1.7.1.4 and can't help but feel a bit nostalgic. Respawning back then was a much bigger challenge. Now you raid a farm/a town with some decent buildings in no time, with the line of sight thing. Just get in and out, turn around 2 corners and behind a fence and you find yourself ignored again.

Personally I could do without them. Would remove some of the frustration from the buggy issues they have. These days the only use a zombie has for me is to let me know if a player is in the area.

I would definitly play a game like dayz without the npc factor.

2vd5vg7.jpg

Edited by Forceflare
  • Like 1

lawls.

I enjoyed reading the thread. 2 major defenses of having the zombies from those gathered in here.

1. Go play Arma2. Well.....No thanks. Because Arma 2 does not reflect what dayz without zombies would be. The most obvious reason being permadeath not applying in Arma. Further more I enjoy scavenging for gear while being on the watch for players. Frankly i wont even waste ammo on zombies anymore because of how bugged they are. Now i just run through a town and kite them through a building and save myself tons of trouble. Plus frankly BF3 > Arma 2. Not playing a computer game for a true military simulation....Also i should point out that there is currently no games that would be like Dayz without the zombies. Hell if fallout 3 had a multiplayer aspect then that would be along the lines of a game id like to play.

2. Second "cause" is stating that the zombies are needed to complete the game. I would ask how? lol. In Left 4 Dead you have an objective and the zombies are the challenge/enemy. In Dayz you can forever avoid zombies. Zombie kills reward nothing. There is no objective. There is no completion. So how can a game mechanic be required if it adds nothing to the game in terms of progression or completion. When was the last time any of you ran around a server and ranked up 500+ zombie kills just for the hell of doing it. Dayz is a "zombie" game where your not required to kill zombies.

But all logic aside half of you didnt even read the poll. I never said the zombies shouldnt be in the game. I was asking if youd play if they were left out. I also stated that personally i could do without.

If anything they need to make the zombies more of a threat. Being chased by 50 zombies? No problem, just run into a building, problem gone..

I would like to see 10 times the amount of zeds in this game. Everywhere in the woods hills dead zone not just around buildings. But make it so that there is a chance they spawn when you running somewhere other then the town.

This would be amazing imo. Snipers would love it :D :D

I just can't imagine DayZ without the zombies. Sure after a while they don't feel like much of a threat but even in this alpha and sometimes bugged state they provide atmosphere and colour to the game.

Thinking of firing that DMR near Stary then you better have a buddy ready to sort out the aggro. They at least provide some sort of behaviour control which I'm sure will be vastly improved in standalone.

Edit: double post

Edited by Cherno Journo

If you're looking for PvP only all the fucking time, then play what you pay for; Arma 2, NOT DAYZ.

There's not much pvp in ArmA2. DayZ has the best pvp

If anything they need to make the zombies more of a threat. Being chased by 50 zombies? No problem, just run into a building, problem gone..

I don't think they can without making them ridiculous (such as even faster speed or one hit and you are dead). AI will never be as good as players so it's up to the players to provide the challenge while the zombies are a backdrop, to give motivation to the game.

lawls.

I enjoyed reading the thread. 2 major defenses of having the zombies from those gathered in here.

1. Go play Arma2. Well.....No thanks. Because Arma 2 does not reflect what dayz without zombies would be. The most obvious reason being permadeath not applying in Arma.

Not just that but the pvp matches on ArmA2 are short (they also pick small maps) and organized. In DayZ, you can have a sniper who spent hours getting into position. You never feel you are safe, even on a large map, and there are no clear sides.

I would like to see 10 times the amount of zeds in this game.

That would create too much lag. That's probably why they are much faster than the stereotypical zombie, in order to compensate.

the problem is that some are forgetting that DayZ is unfinished, don't think about what is now, think about what could be

I imagine you'd have a hard time ignoring the infected if they were able to run indoors and if they were travelling in hordes

I think - give people less bullets :D and more melee options; and then watch them run for their lives, hide and panic each time a zombie spots them :D

P.S. if fatigue is introduced - you are fucked :D

Edited by debiru
  • Like 1

i got 24 murders... since there are zombies i just sit at the tree line and snipe people all day. if there wasn't any zombies i think i would risk going into town to kill people instead of knowing every time i shoot someone in town there will be 500 zombies glitching to me while im getting shot at by another player.. only after i spent 20 min trying to sneak up to that player in hopes that he dont log out, some zombie miles away dont somehow see me and Goku sprints to me or i get sniped form someone who just joined the server and spawned in the tree line :D

• Like 1

I couldn't really care less if they are zombies or skeletons or hostile chickens, it just the fact that there is a wildcard factor in playing the game. ignoring the NPC's can get you killed and if you pay too much attention to them they can cause you to miss a player and get killed by them.

It will be interesting to see what Rocket comes up with in the standalone game.

Well if there were no zombies I can imagine the theme of the mod changing completely. Most likely a Fallout apocalypse where you have to watch out for radiation/mutated wildlife and such. Thats a real interesting idea...

But on topic... I would play DayZ if there was no zombies. Just a massive 225km square land where you can either team up with people, or kill them.

Edited by RIGHTLY

DayZ without Zeds, No.

Only if they remove PvP too. Lol. Then we can all just sit around the campfire, eat beans and sing songs together. And play with our dogs.

DayZ without zombies would just be Day.

As it stands right now the Zeds are hardly a threat at all and personally i dont like that. I know there are animation issue etc with them but hopefully that will be fixed in the stand alone. I would love for them to be modelled and animated loosely around the Left 4 Dead style. being quick and agile and actually running like a zombie rather than a man sprinting, climbing over obstacles like fences etc and taking the shortest path to get at you. The Zeds should be feared, not be there just for a nuisance like they are now.