Sign in to follow this  
gcb38

Slenderman in DayZ: add a scare-the-sh**-out-of-you experience to the game

I dont really know if there has been a thread specifically about Slenderman, but i have both the idea and some traits it might have if it is added to DayZ. Although there is really no backstory to it, i do think it would be a great idea and add a great scare to the game as well as add a whole new level of insecurity to the DayZ experience.

here are some things that it could do.

-Teleportation:

Of course, according to the legend, Slenderman is a 4th dimensional creature that can teleport, but for those of you worrying about how OP this may be, i think that that it may only be able to TP a max distance (50-100m every 5 seconds per se), and may only TP/move if it is not within sight of the player.

I also think that it may only be able to TP so long as there is no direct LOS between it and a player so that one moment, it could be in one spot, the player turns around and back, and it teleports and is now in a completely different spot and hopefully it could be close and scare the hell out of them.

-Attacking:

Of course it has to be able to attack players. my idea for this is that it may be able to attack in some way from a relatively long distance compared to zombies (10-20m?), but the attacks deal a normal amount of damage, because there is nothing worse than an unbeatable monster that kills you and takes your stuff without a way to prevent it from doing so.

Regarding Aggravation, Slenderman may be able to attack or "stalk" the nearest player at NO max distance. (feel free to add on to this one or any of these for that matter)

Another thing regarding its attacks, it may only attack when looked at as to stick to the legend, however i am not necessarily bound to this idea and if Rocket thinks so, then it may still be able to attack even when out of the player's Field of view. Also, to add a bit more to it, it doesn't have an attack animation as to make it seem a bit more unnerving.

-Spawning:

Slendermen are a one-of-a-kind creature and may only contain one per server, however as to not make it too OP, they can die. To level the playing field a bit so that it is not too strong, i would suggest that it not have too much HP, but that, I will leave entirely up to Rocket (and whoever else may work on DayZ.) so that if they want it to become sort of a "boss" rather than just a rare encounter, they can up the HP a bit.

Slenderman may respawn when killed, but i have no clear idea of how often, but i would suggest that it spawn in the northwestern half as to keep it from attacking new players.

Another idea is to add as a server option as to announce the death of slenderman and/or the players killed by it.

Again, I think that adding a slenderman to the game may add a huge scare to the game and any player that may be attacked/stalked by it. Also, you may never know if you're its next target and it will add another sense of insecurity and alertness to the game keeping your head on a swivel watching out for it to make sure its not stalking you next...

Edited by GCB38
  • Like 1

Someone linked me this yesterday.

I believe this is the kind of feeling you might be going for.

• Like 8

Good idea along the right path but it doesnt really fit in with the zombie apocalypse feeling to me....

Maybe something like that but doesnt teleport, instead sprints really fast... like faster than most cars?

Someone linked me this yesterday.

I believe this is the kind of feeling you might be going for.

yes, exactly. and i nearly shit myself. the only thing is, it didnt actually do any damage to the guy except for scaring the living hell out of him. i would think that if it is gonna be in DayZ, that it would be in some way lethal or else it may lose its lasting effect.

Edited by GCB38

Good idea along the right path but it doesnt really fit in with the zombie apocalypse feeling to me....

Maybe something like that but doesnt teleport, instead sprints really fast... like faster than most cars?

Maybe so, but i think it would be scary as hell if i looked behind me, saw something, and looked again to see that it was gone or suddenly in another place or maybe even draining my blood levels.

Maybe so, but i think it would be scary as hell if i looked behind me, saw something, and looked again to see that it was gone or suddenly in another place or maybe even draining my blood levels.

Sounds like a vampire XD

i do like the idea of an enitity that brings that "oh shit im going to die" feeling to players but i would still like it to fit into the zombie apoc feeling as well.... i mean i dont have any idea to a creature to fulfill this role yet so im glad someones started building on the idea of it :P

Sounds like a vampire XD

i do like the idea of an enitity that brings that "oh shit im going to die" feeling to players but i would still like it to fit into the zombie apoc feeling as well.... i mean i dont have any idea to a creature to fulfill this role yet so im glad someones started building on the idea of it :P

I knew some1 would say something bout a vampire on that... and at the top i did say that there wasn't really a backstory to slenderman being in DayZ, however (maybe i just haven't read enough about it) there isnt really a backstory as to why Chernarus is filled with zombies anyway, perhaps its supernatural? If it is actually a legit virus, then right, slenderman doesn't really fit into that scene. And ya, i was just goin for the whole "holy hell im gonna die and have nightmares for the next week" feeling and Slenderman was the first thing that came to mind

I dont really know if there has been a thread specifically about Slenderman, but i have both the idea and some traits it might have if it is added to DayZ. Although there is really no backstory to it, i do think it would be a great idea and add a great scare to the game as well as add a whole new level of insecurity to the DayZ experience.

-Teleportation:

Of course, according to the legend, Slenderman is a 4th dimensional creature that can teleport, but for those of you worrying about how OP this may be, i think that that it may only be able to TP a max distance (50-100m every 5 seconds per se), and may only TP/move if it is not within sight of the player.

I also think that it may only be able to TP so long as there is no direct LOS between it and a player so that one moment, it could be in one spot, the player turns around and back, and it teleports and is now in a completely different spot and hopefully it could be close and scare the hell out of them.

-Attacking:

Of course it has to be able to attack players. my idea for this is that it may be able to attack in some way from a relatively long distance compared to zombies (10-20m?), but the attacks deal a normal amount of damage, because there is nothing worse than an unbeatable monster that kills you and takes your stuff without a way to prevent it from doing so.

Regarding Aggravation, Slenderman may be able to attack or "stalk" the nearest player at NO max distance. (feel free to add on to this one or any of these for that matter)

Another thing regarding its attacks, it may only attack when looked at as to stick to the legend, however i am not necessarily bound to this idea and if Rocket thinks so, then it may still be able to attack even when out of the player's Field of view. Also, to add a bit more to it, it doesn't have an attack animation as to make it seem a bit more unnerving.

-Spawning:

Slendermen are a one-of-a-kind creature and may only contain one per server, however as to not make it too OP, they can die. To level the playing field a bit so that it is not too strong, i would suggest that it not have too much HP, but that, I will leave entirely up to Rocket (and whoever else may work on DayZ.) so that if they want it to become sort of a "boss" rather than just a rare encounter, they can up the HP a bit.

Slenderman may respawn when killed, but i have no clear idea of how often, but i would suggest that it spawn in the northwestern half as to keep it from attacking new players.

Another idea is to add as a server option as to announce the death of slenderman and/or the players killed by it.

Again, I think that adding a slenderman to the game may add a huge scare to the game and any player that may be attacked/stalked by it. Also, you may never know if you're its next target and it will add another sense of insecurity and alertness to the game keeping your head on a swivel watching out for it to make sure its not stalking you next...

NO. how can you even try to get some shitty fictional figure into a survival simulator? try in GTA or Killing floor or left 4 dead but NOT in DayZ man.. not cool..

• Like 2

Rocket has already said zombies will be the only NPCs in the game. No weird L4D special infected shit.

Rocket has already said zombies will be the only NPCs in the game. No weird L4D special infected shit.

Rocket said we are getting wild dogs so that isn't really true. he did say we probably won't get any special zombies though. However i hope he changes his mind because at the moment his zombies are painfully bland. There is a reason that every decent zombie game has mutations, it's because standard zombies are just plain dull. I love DayZ don't get me wrong, but it needs more than zombies and bandits and a game so well based on survival like this needs a real scare factor other than "oh, i'm being shot at" or "*sigh* there is a zombie that sounds like a velociraptor chasing me again"

Edited by GexAlmighty

Perhaps as a hallucination maybe? That could be a fun feature. Especially if it wasn't announced before hand.

• Like 1

They should add a enderman ;)

All seriousness, the Slender-man is something that is "possibly" real. kinda of on the level of the lock ness monster

maybe aSlender man and a sash quash with different characteristics and behaviors. Add some of the monsters humans have came up with over the years that you can't really prove they exist, but there are also some evidence saying that they do. I think adding something like this would be nice.

entering that zone of unkown things would be neat. maybe even add the lockness to the game! haha

could go all out and add a chupacabra!

How about look-alikes - a zombie that looks like slenderman spawns in the forest at midnight (generally spawns in the center of the map) - he starts patroling the forests until a solo player comes within 2km of him. Then he runs after him doing crazy patters (very hard to shoot), when he reaches you - "YOU ARE DEAD" - nothing more, nothing less.

The only way to survive - run past another player (20-30 meters) and slenderzombie will take him instead of you. The body disappears upon your death and slenderzombie is satisfied (disappears into thin air) until the next crack of midnight.

PS - solo player - no other players within 300 meters

Edited by im123

How about we just throw in Cthulu and Alduin while we're at it?

Plus, this game doesn't need to be scarier. I already shit my pants when I empty 7 rounds of 1911 into a zombie and it doesn't die.

While I would like to see this game be scarier, I do not think that Slenderman has any place in it. Some of the things I've read in the DayZ urban legend threads are plenty scary without having to be Slenderman.

-Teleportation:

-Attacking:

-Spawning:

I am all for this idea for two reasons. 1:As a DayZ player for a couple months now I have noticed that using the "Live in the forest" strategy is just... safe... There's nothing really hunting you at that point and really nothing to be afraid of except the occasional bandit or helo passing by. I think having something that lived in the wooded areas of DayZ would add that bit of horror that is to easily avoided by just packing up and living in sticks. 2:I love Slendy. So I am all for something that lives and hunts in the woodland areas. Slenderman has always hunted and killed in woods so it's perfect. Just a few things I feel should be changed to the original idea.

-Teleportation:Only change I think is to make it so that Slendy may appear behind objects even if the players is looking at said ogject so long as the player cannot see Slendy. Also for the few buildings out in the middle of nowhere make it so Slendy can spawn/teleport inside of said buildings. Regardless if the player is inside or out.

-Attacking:Just to change on the agrro range. I do believe a maximum should be implemented so as to keep him from accidently teleporting from say outside the international airfield to Cherno. Also I think an "active area" or area in which Slendy is allowed and not allowed to operate. This will prevent him from attacking players in cities. Also a think a sound should be associated with Slendy's attack so that a player actually knows they are being attacked by him, and that there should be times where Slendy is in range but not attacking just to give him a more unnerving feel.

-Spawning: I think Slenderman should be set to only spawn during the night and further more will respawn at dusk and despawn at dusk regardless of what he is doing. I also think that as far as him dying it shouldn't be as black and white as "Slendy has been killed." I think his "death" should be simply him disappearing when his blood reaches 0 and that he simply just be gone for a set amount of time (say 3-4 hours) unless it conflicts with his day/night spawn cycle. This will make him more horrific instead of making the player say "He's dead" instead it's "He's gone for now..."

Extra things: I think Slenderman should have a few extra things associated with his presence. One is to cause flashlights to flicker when he is within a certain range. Not a constant flicker but as he get's closer it will click every few seconds or so. Another thing is that he should also not be as aggresive as the zombies. Being that he stalks a player for a long time before moving in for the kill. Another thing is that I think having other players around should not affect his targeting. Perhaps if multiple players are close to each other add a targeting parameter to him such as "Slendy will attack the player with the least humanity, or blood before the others." as an example. Another thing is that if a player escapes Slendy by going to civilization that he will continue to "stalk" them for awhile before getting a new target. This means that even though you are out of the woods it is possible to see him staring you down from the edge. To make it more unnerving to be stalked by Slendy.

Just some ideas for the Slenderman idea. I think that this idea if executed properly will add unfathomable amounts of horror to the game.

Also maybe if Slenderman is to far-fetched perhaps something more believable could be used. Such as a named serial-killer. But this is a Slenderman thread so I'll leave that for another time.

Hello there

The"slenderman" thread pops up every few days or so, try the search tool :)

What the game needs is original ideas, not ones ripped off from existing games, no offence to OP as his/her post was fine, just a little unoriginal.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Like being delirious when ill? contracting a disease and having hallucinations of Zombies standing over you or hearing snapping branches? Mirages in the desert when thirsty? Green Mountain actually having a unseen threat? No sounds bar wind in the trees at certain locations? weapons jamming while in contact? hanging tin cans up in trees? lights suddenly coming on while in a room or stood under a street light? owls in woods at night? squeeling foxes in heat? Plastic bags being blown about the map?

Fear needs to be brought to DayZ like it was before you became De-sensatized to it after playing a long time.

Rocket said we are getting wild dogs so that isn't really true. he did say we probably won't get any special zombies though. However i hope he changes his mind because at the moment his zombies are painfully bland. There is a reason that every decent zombie game has mutations, it's because standard zombies are just plain dull. I love DayZ don't get me wrong, but it needs more than zombies and bandits and a game so well based on survival like this needs a real scare factor other than "oh, i'm being shot at" or "*sigh* there is a zombie that sounds like a velociraptor chasing me again"

I think that there should not be mutations just the infected, I know what you mean the infected at the moment are slow, stupid and not scary enough. There to easy to get away from but mutation is not the answer it makes the game over the top, a solution to this is too increase the number of the infected i mean not a measly 20 running at you should be more like 50-100 maybe there not dangerous on there own but when you p*** off that many you are going to be scared not only of dying but the 50-100 infected after you!

i like the mutation idea but i don't think its for DayZ its not the point of the game if you know what i mean.

(Just my thoughts not trying to say your wrong) :)

I think Slendy is for kids, he is a fairy-tale legend. Zombies have become a cult, they are two levels above Slenderman. Someone mentioned hallucinations before :) well maybe that's not bad idea. Anyways, creating a new original creature, even inspired by Slenderman's powers would be better than actually putting in the actual Slenderman. I used to work with a guy who was writing horror stories for one of my blogs, but when I asked him to do something for this slender man page, he quit.  this is what he wrote me "I just cannot bring myself to write another Slenderman article. I want to stalk and kill Slenderman myself. I'm sorry" 

Slenderman is a bad luck. I would stay away.

Perhaps as a hallucination maybe? That could be a fun feature. Especially if it wasn't announced before hand.

Rocket mentioned LSD and such, I wouldn't mind random figures watching you from a distance while you're high.

Trucks flying down the road towards you before they disappear.

Zombies start talking? Wierd shit like that.

The sound of helicopters and car horns.

Maybe if you are reputitively given hallucinagens they can get more intense and you start getting a scary clown mime that will sometimes spawn behind you in a room, for just a couple seconds?

Wanna scare the shit out of a newspawn that's tagging along, then slip some LSD in his food/ drink.