Mucwa

[Guide] Setting up an Xbox 360 Controller for DayZ

... However, I suffer from back problems and cannot sit at a desk for very long, like 10 minutes, before it begins hurting like hell...

Similar health problems in my hands and arms are what caused me to start using a game controller for more PC games.  They are way more ergonomic than a keyboard and mouse not only for your back but for your hands and arms also.  I am working on a lengthy post now on how to optimize your game controller settings for a FPS like DayZ that will make game controller users much more competitive.  I should have it posted here in a day or two.

Good guide, tried it out and all worked perfect.

As for the whole pad vs M+KB thing I say use whatever makes you happy. A word to the wise though....people with M+KB will be able to aim quicker ;) that's the whole reason Microsoft scrapped making the 360 cross-platform so console and pc users could play together.

Guide isn't detailed enough. Please fix, it'd be easier just hook the damn controller up and go with it, then fucking use Xpadder (which I bought, appears for no good fucking reason now)

why on earth would you even want to do this. This is fps, mouse/kb rules.

The same reason I use steam big picture mode. Because I have my computer hooked up to a 50" screen and my couch is farther away than the cord on my G15 Keyboard will reach. So until I go home and set my computer back up on my desk, I would like to play with a controller, as it is a more "accessible" form of control, even though I do realize I will be at a loss in terms of accuracy, I have come to the conclusion that I would be handicapped anyways because I also left my TrackIR at home.

My final thoughts: People like you are the reason that people dislike gamers. I know you don't care. I know my opinion does not concern you. But others will read this, and most likely in silence go "That's exactly how I feel". That's good enough for me.

• Like 1

I'm a pc gamer but I'm new to this fps style games. I usually play RTS and prefer the keyboard and mouse for those game. But during Dayz I find the keyboard just awkward with all the commands and I have problems navigating the keyboard. That's why some of us new Dayz players prefer the gamepad. I still haven't tested the gamepad yet but Ive played console and fps games just felt comfortable for me. I dunno why guys care what other players are using. Its not like there making you use the gamepad. No wonder people say pc gamers are nerds. Bunch of pansies getting there whitey tighties all in a bunch over how somebody else plays the game. nerds.

Since the standalone version isn't to far along yet I went ahead and made a profile using the one in this guide that should take care of most of the standalone main features like movement, fighting and item selection, and inventory selection. I know there can be some things that need to be fixed but this is just something I whipped up for those wanting a profile for the standalone. Any questions be free to say something.

Movement

Movement: Left Stick (Double tap forward to sprint)

Toggle Run/Walk: Click left stick in

Look: Right Stick

Toggle Free Look: Click right stick in

Zoom: Hold Left Trigger

Crouch: Y

Prone: Y

Stand Up: Double Tap Y

Jump over object: UP on d-pad

Toggle 1st/3rd Person: Left on directional Pad

Lean Left: Left Bumper

Lean Right: Removed

Combat

Toggle Aim: Click Left Trigger

Fire: Right Trigger

Toggle Fight Stance: Right Bumper

Reload: X

Toggle Weapon: Double Tap X

Adjust Range Up: While holding left trigger A

Adjust Range Down: While holding left trigger B

Inventory & Misc.

Inventory: Start

Escape Menu: Back

Open and Grab: A

In Inventory Selection: Right Trigger for click and drag Left Trigger to bring up items menu

Left Directional Pad: Change point of view (1st or 3rd)

Right Directional Pad: Circle through items (1 through 9)

DayZxpadderprof.zip

I've one problem.

Always, when i choose the .xpaddercontroller file my mouse slide frome right to left automatically.

Have someone an idea, how i can solve the problem?

and sry for my bad english :D

Edited by richeyyboy

Shame on anyone who doesn't play DayZ with a TrackIR or Oculus Rift.  :rolleyes:

Shame on anyone who doesn't play DayZ in real life.

honestly enough, i may have to try this out, may be more useful for me, though i'm more than happy to use either or tbh

GlovePIE 0.45 script for Xbox 360 Controller:

Left Stick: Walk/Run, strafe, back

Right Stick: Mouse (variable speed based on action like aiming or running around, adjustable)

Y = vault or stepover

X = Previous (mouse wheel)

B = Next (mouse wheel)

A = default action

Right Trigger = Left Mouse click (with rumble when hitting/shooting)

Left Trigger = Zoom in, look down sights when double pulled (mouse speed slowed down)

DpadUP = Stand

DpadRight = Crouch

DpadDown = Prone

DpadBack = Voice Chat

Start = Toggle Gear (mouse speed slowed down)

Back = Back

RightShoulder = Toggle Weapon ready

Click Right Stick = Free Look

Click Left Stick = Toggle run/walk

WHILE HOLDING LEFT SHOULDER DOWN:

Y = Reload

tapX = Inventory slot 1

tapA = Inventory slot 2

tapB = Inventory slot 3

holdX = Inventory slot 4

holdA = Inventory slot 5

holdB = Inventory slot 6

DpadUP= Toggle single fire/rapid fire

DpadLEFT = Lean Left

DpadRIGHT = Lean Right

Single click DpadDOWN = Wave

Double Click DpadDOWN = One finger Wave

Back = ThirdPerson/Firsrt Person toggle

Start = Player List

To get started download GlovePIE, copy and paste the script (note that you will have to change a couple of default keyboard bindings in game):

/*Dayz control layout, some keyboard bindings must be changed in gameNew In Game Keyboard Binding Changes:    Under Infantry Movement:      Turbo --> B (this has been disabled, seemed wonky)      Fast Forward 2xW --> E      Lean Left Q --> K      Lean Right E --> L      Remove Lean Left Toggle, Lean Right Toggle, Evasive Left, Evasive Right    Under Infantry Weapons:      Remove Headlights on/off*/PIE.FrameRate = 120Hz//Left Stick NavigationKey.W = InRange(XInput.Joy1Y, .20,0.80) //walkKey.E = InRange(XInput.Joy1Y, .81,1.00)  //run//Key.B = InRange(XInput.Joy1Y, .90,1.0)  //TurboKey.S = InRange(XInput1.Joy1Y, -1.0,-.30) //BackKey.A = InRange(XInput.Joy1X, -2.0,-.30) //LeftKey.D = InRange(XInput.Joy1X, 0.30,2.00)   //Right//Aiming Control - Right Stick - different sensitivity settings if Aiming(slowest), Looking at Gear(slow), or Normal (fastest)if var.GearTog = True   Mouse.DirectInputX = Mouse.DirectInputX + 15*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2X)   Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY - 15*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2Y)  elseif (var.aim = True) or (XInput.LeftShoulder and Xinput.RightShoulder) then   Mouse.DirectInputX = Mouse.DirectInputX + 10*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2X)   Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY - 10*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2Y)  else   Mouse.DirectInputX = Mouse.DirectInputX + 28*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2X)   Mouse.DirectInputY = Mouse.DirectInputY - 28*deadzone(XInput1.Joy2Y)endif//Mouse Left and Right Buttons with rumble (rumble removed when looking at gear)mouse.LeftButton = XInput.RightTriggerif var.GearTog = False then   if helddown (XInput1.RightTrigger, 400ms) then               XInput.Vibration2 = .60               XInput.Vibration1 = .80               wait 80 ms               XInput.Vibration2 = 0               XInput.Vibration1 = 0               wait 80 ms      elseif helddown (Xinput1.RightTrigger, 5ms) then             XInput.Vibration2 = 1.0             XInput.Vibration1 = .50             wait 100 ms             XInput.Vibration2 = 0             XInput.Vibration1 = 0             wait 300 ms      endifelseif var.GearTog= True then   XInput.Vibration2 = 0   XInput.Vibration1 = 0endifmouse.RightButton = XInput.LeftTriggerif Helddown (XInput.LeftTrigger, 400ms) and (var.aim = False) then   var.aim = True   endifif Released (XInput.LeftTrigger) and (var.aim = True) then   var.aim = False   endif// Main Controlsif not XInput.LeftShoulder then   Key.V = XInput.Y    //vault or hop   //Next   if XInput.B then      mouse.WheelDown = True      wait 200 ms      mouse.WheelDown = False   endif   //Previous   if XInput.X then      mouse.WheelUp = True      wait 200 ms      mouse.WheelUp = False   endif   Key.F = XInput.A    // use default action   Key.C = XInput.Up  //stand up   Key.Z = XInput.Down  //prone   Key.X = XInput.Right  //crouch   Key.CapsLock = XInput.Left //Voice Chat   Key.BackSpace = XInput.Back  //Back   Key.Tab = XInput.Start  //Gear           if released (XInput.Start) and (var.GearTog = False) then           var.GearTog = True           elseif released (XInput.Start) and (var.GearTog = True) then           var.GearTog = False           endif   Key.Spacebar = XInput.RightShoulder  //Toggle Raised Weaponendif//Left Shoulder Button holdif XInput.LeftShoulder then        Key.R = XInput.Y //Reload        if XInput.X then //Selects Inventory 1 by Tapping X or Inventory 4 by Holding X        var.Xhold = false        endif        if Helddown (XInput.X, 200ms) then        var.Xhold = True        endif        if var.Xhold = false and Released (XInput.X) then           press key.One           release key.One        elseif var.Xhold = True and Released (Xinput.X) then               press key.Four               release key.Four        endif        if XInput.A then //Selects Inventory 2 by Tapping A or Inventory 5 by Holding A        var.Ahold = false        endif        if Helddown (XInput.A, 200ms) then        var.Ahold = True        endif        if var.Ahold = false and Released (XInput.A) then           press key.Two           release key.Two        elseif var.Ahold = True and Released (Xinput.A) then               press key.Five               release key.Five        endif        if XInput.B then //Selects Inventory 3 by Tapping B or Inventory 6 by Holding B        var.Bhold = false        endif        if Helddown (XInput.B, 200ms) then        var.Bhold = True        endif        if var.Bhold = false and Released (XInput.B) then           press key.Three           release key.Three        elseif var.Bhold = True and Released (Xinput.B) then               press key.Six               release key.Six        endif        Key.K = XInput.Left //Lean Left        Key.L = XInput.Right //Lean Right        Key.F1 = SingleClicked (XInput.Down)  //Wave        Key.F4 = Doubleclicked (XInput.Down)  // Flip Off        Key.T =  XInput.Up //toggle automatic weapon to single shot        Key.Enter = XInput.Back //Toggle View        Key.P = XInput.Start  //Player Listendif//toggle Walk or Runif Released (XInput.LeftThumb) and (Key.LeftControl = True) then   Key.LeftControl = Falseelseif Released (XInput.LeftThumb) and (Key.LeftControl = False) then   Key.LeftControl = Trueendif//Toggle Free Lookif Released (XInput.RightThumb) and (Key.Alt = False) then   Key.LeftAlt = Trueelseif Released (XInput.RightThumb) and (Key.Alt = True) then   Key.LeftAlt = Falseendif
The right stick movement speed changes based on whether you're looking at your Gear, are zoomed in (looking down a weapon) or running around.  You can also hold both shoulder button in to slow down the speed (so you don't fling yourself down some stairs or off a ledge).  They are adjustable by changes the values under that section.

If things like leaning, waving, and giving people the bird aren't important to you, those can be easily remapped to other in game functions more suitable for you.

I love how offended "PC Gamers" get when controllers are mentioned. It's almost as if they are threatened by them?? biggrin.png

Its normal stuff in the internet. I have a formula for you how it works. 

Compare X with Y = flamewar.

Also many have already played the awesome fps games in the early 90's with mouse and keyboard, so maybe thats where "hardcore attitude" comes from.

We're not all like that though. I'm a pc gamer through and through but I have an xbox controller too. I've not actually managed to ever get it working but even with an xbox but I'd happily use it if it helped.  Sold the xbox still in box brand new. I could never see the point in unpacking it as I had the pc.  Of course now my pc is broken and I'm using my pitiful lappy, I wish I had tried the xbox.  :thumbsup:

Topper , you're a complete fucktard haha , you're the reason why people who don't game think we're all d*ckheads . It's a shame they can't differentiate between us normal and quite generally pleasant people , to people living in mum and dad's cellar that troll other people's posts for no good reason other than just trying to be an elitist PC snob . Get over it you buffoon , some people just prefer to use an Xbox or some other type of controller. For whatever reason , as the O.P has already said , maybe they use one as it's the ONLY way they can game as they may have a disability or something . Why should it bother you ? . You've already boasted (without any substance) your prowess with a K+M (haha , yeah right) so there you go , it's just more easy kills for you . While we're generalising i notice you're a sweaty , so there's absolutely no way you've even got a PC anyway ( God you must love your parents for giving you those boxes with buttons drawn on them so you can ' pretend play ' props for that at least . Thanks O.P for a well written and informative guide ................................ Now run along Topper and dictate another useless troll missive to the one kid in your neighbourhood that has some kind of internet access on his phone ............Also , leave your head halfway up your arse .......For you ....it's a really good look .

I am a confirmed keyboard and mouse guy when it comes to FPS. If you don't like the K&M, I couldn't give two shits! However, when it comes to driving, I find that my wireless XBOX360 controller is a much better tool for the task at hand. If this makes you an unhappy troll, that's your problem.

Before I go to the trouble and expense of getting my controller to work with DayZ, can someone tell me if the V3S is still going to steer like a slug, or am I going to curse myself for not enabling my controller sooner?

Cheers!