Mucwa

[Guide] Setting up an Xbox 360 Controller for DayZ

I'd like to see things from your point of view, but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

I'm busy now. Can I ignore you some other time?

Haha speechless.

And with this a whole new era of murdering bandits happen upon Chernarus. We shall call them "High Pitch Killers" as there squeaky voices echo across the wasteland, controllers in had, they have migrated from CoD. There once beloved console game now overshadowed by DayZ the massive Deathmatch Map!

I sometimes simulate what it would be like to play with a controller by using mouse + keyboard with oven mitts on and keeping my microphone on all the time so people can hear me breathing, drinking and chewing.

lol, had to have a little fun... I'll bet the vehicles drive more naturally with a controller tho. Being able to "hot swap" between a controller and m+kb for vehicle driving might be good, if the game indeed drives better with a controller. I rarely get to drive anything other than a bicycle in this game tho lol

My experience with vehicles in DayZ so far...

Tractor... rolled backwards into a tree upon entering, crash @ 10 kph max... killed me instantly (first time I got in a vehicle)

ATV... was missing a wheel, wanted to see if it would move at all... flung itself into the air a couple hundred feet after a couple seconds of trying to rock it back and forth to see if it would move. I tumbled thru the air like a gymnast figuring I was about to die. Somehow I landed without injury. I thought it was best to destroy it and run like hell and never get in another vehicle again...lol!

Edited by DR@GON

Hey Mucwa , I also had problems getting xpadder to recognise Monte87`s config , so i tried yours and it works fine on my desktop but ingame it just wont recognise it , i have tried changeing the controller options to " custom controller " and back to " controller with scheme " . but no luck . the only scheme that works is the basic 360 controller . any help would be greatly appreciated .

Hey kevanko it sounds like your using the Arma 2 controller settings. If you want to use the control scheme that I've set up you need to disable the controller and control scheme in Arma 2. You can do that by going to to the options, then controls, then select the controller tab at the bottom of the screen. Once your in the controller tab all you need to do is click on your controller and hit disable. Do this for both custom controller and controller with scheme.

Thanks for voicing your question, I knew I missed a step or two when typing up this guide. I'll be sure to add this to the guide.

Edited by Mucwa

I love how offended "PC Gamers" get when controllers are mentioned. It's almost as if they are threatened by them?? :D

American's use forks.

stk78777cor.jpg

Chinese use chopsticks.

Chopsticks1.jpg

Americans use pitchforks.

Farmer-Hay.jpg

Chinese use pitchforks.

1221719791.jpg

YOU WON'T SEE A CHINESE FARMER WITH 2 LONG POLES TRYING TO PICK UP HAY, LOL!

Now, if you want to play FFVII or GTA4 on PC. Go for it. However, don't be the chinese farmer complaining of splinters at the end of the day when you get owned.

WITH THAT SAID.... read below.

I've been wanting to do this for so long I've got used to keyboard and mouse now. Not sure I'd want to change back but thanks for posting. It's such a MASSIVE jump from controller to keyboard I'm sure it will be useful to someone. :)

DayZ is definitely a game you can get away playing with a controller as the ARMA 2 controls suck donkey balls. There isn't much "Twitch" or fast controls involved.

I just wanted to mention that arma2 fully supports controllers. No need for xpadder or any other 3rd party software. I use a flgiht stick for flying but my mouse/kb for everything else.

You dont need xpadder for a profile either. You can set all your buttons in the game configs.

xpadder is for games that don't support controllers.

why on earth would you even want to do this. This is fps, mouse/kb rules.

I so agree.

I read the topic line and thought it was a joke - but it appears not.

WHAT on earth are you guys thinking about?

Controller < Mouse/keyb for FPS. Period.

Hey, I'm a little confused. I've gotten everything fine up until actually USING it on DayZ. I get to the controller setup page in-game and I'm just...lost. Scheme or no scheme? The top doesn't seem to work at all, and the bottom one, it won't let me customize it. :/

Halp halp, and please don't hate on me, PC gamers. :< my hands are super tiny, and it's hard to manage my keyboard. A controller fits just right, sorry.

Great post - thanks for the info. I prefer kb+mouse for first person shooter, but prefer gamepad for 3rd person perspective games.

The fact is, there are tons of people out there who are more comfortable with a controller than they are k/m. Not a big deal what so ever.

Now that explains the fact that many times people go full auto on me on almost point blank and still manage to miss.

I also don't understand why you'd use xpadder (apart from the fact that the in game controller mapping doesn't seem to recognise double taps).

The ingame mapping allows you to utilise analogue movements, which is helpful for vehicles (especially if you want to fly a chopper smoothly)

If like me you use a battery powered wireless controller make sure that the controller is connected at least when you open the game, you can then turn it off until you find a vehicle. If it's not connected at startup you'll find that connecting the controller mid-game will clear your whole controller map and you'll have to reconfigure it from scratch... not very handy if you're stealing a huey. :P

tl;dr: Make sure your controller is connected at startup to use your saved in game configuration.

I also don't understand why you'd use xpadder (apart from the fact that the in game controller mapping doesn't seem to recognise double taps)

Well that's one good reason, as you can map more functions to the controller using sets and Hold Zones with Xpadder than you can using the in-game config. Another good reason is people like Mucwa can share profiles for people to use, which they can't do with the in-game settings as they vary based on the controller ID (I have to have separate profiles for Win7 and XP because they each use a different ID for my controller).

Thanks for sharing this Mucwa. I tend to use M&KB but have set up a controller profile for my friends who play LAN games with me sometimes on the sofa using my TV, where it's impractical to use M&KB. One thing I'd suggest is mapping the left stick to walk in ArmA's config rather than WSAD as it allows for much greater control over movement speed but obviously that complicates things for others as they have to do that themselves. I've also just mapped the right stick in Arma directly to aim rather than emulate a mouse with Xpadder but I don't know if one is better than the other.

I'm going to try your helicopter mapping to see if it suits me. I've got a proper joystick/throttle but ArmA doesn't seem to work very well for flying with joystick (I've currently mapped the stick to mouse, which works better), so I'll see if using your mapping for the Xbox360 controller works better for me. In my own profile, I've just mapped one stick in ArmA's config to Increase/decrease thrust and rudder and the other to pitch/bank but that's partly because I use the bumpers and triggers for other stuff. I like your idea of switching to a helo profile though and if I can find a spare button to do that, perhaps I can use the bumpers/triggers for flying.

Hey, I'm a little confused. I've gotten everything fine up until actually USING it on DayZ. I get to the controller setup page in-game and I'm just...lost. Scheme or no scheme? The top doesn't seem to work at all, and the bottom one, it won't let me customize it. :/

Halp halp, and please don't hate on me, PC gamers. :< my hands are super tiny, and it's hard to manage my keyboard. A controller fits just right, sorry.

Hey adelaide, it sounds like your trying to use the in-game controller set-up. If you want to use the controller scheme that I've setup you'll need to go to the controller setup page in-game and disable both controller with scheme and no scheme. If your still having problems let me know, we'll find out what the problem is and fix it. You'll be playing DayZ in no time. : )

-Mucwa

I just love when people rage. I actually support game pad users on pc. More power to you guys. Just have fun getting your shot off before I do on my m/k

controller support was mainly used for Simulator flight controllers , people with flight sticks, throttles foot pedals and wheels. ( and yes it can be dumbed down to 360 controllers

hey this topic has been really helpful, but i feel like im missing a step. i downloaded your controller set up, and its in my xpadder. but how do i get it to carry over onto dayZ? ive run it as administrator and i also have windows 7. i start my game after what i think is selecting that profile. and it just runs the default arma2 controller mapping. i had to buy a wired Xbox controller, and they dont make the microsoft wired ones anymore so i bought a mad catz. help please haha im a console gamer but this game has changed my life =] i like k/m but i just cant aim with a mouse. to many bandits have lived because of this and i must change it.

also can you double check your controller set up list, i moved toggle view button to the left enter, like yours. and that was also use default action, and just to make sure i dont screw up the controlls you already made, i want to match yours exactly. so whereis your default action key now?

and why you need to be all personal all of a sudden? I have a very good PC, an xbox360, and a PS3. Why you feel the urge to call unknown people kids?

I'm 26 years old with a full time job.

And most of all a

Gamer

The so called "normal" ppl whos only enjoyment in life is to go into a pub with "friends" and drink alcohol till one of you gets sick, already keep calling us Gamers: Nerds/NoLifers/Antisocial/Etc...

It saddens me that all i see is that our "little" group called Gamers broke into 3 parts (xbox fan/ps fan/pc fan). Why and how did this happen? Are you jealous that you can't afford all of it? Maybe you have some mentality issues who can't accept that little fact that by a chance your opinion is not superior to others?

At the end of the day we are all the same... Gamers

PS.: calling others kids is just so yesterdays... try to come up with something unique. you're just being unoriginal... an unoriginal guy whos not smart enough to have his own thoughts.

I would give you more beans but I could only spare one :(

• Like 1

Please sticky this thread, for the sake of us PC users. The more kids are using their Xbox controllers the easier it will be to murder them.

His last thread was entitled: How to play MW3 with no head or hands, using only a cabbage. And this thread has about the same utility.

E.G. The Xbox and it's Dildo. (I'm a PC fanboy sorry. :) PC MASTER RACE!!)