Back to dayzgame.com
Photo

Is it worth buying Arma 2 Combined Operations now?

Arma 2 Dayz Standalone Game Combined Operations Operation Arrowhead Mod

46 replies to this topic

#1 louie9

louie9

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Should I buy Arma 2 Combined Operations now, if the standalone version is being developed, or should I wait? How long will it be until I can purchase the standalone version?

Thanks.

Posted Image

#2 Sharpboy21

Sharpboy21

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Feel free to correct me but im not sure that there is a confirmed date for the standalone release theoretically could be weeks or months till a release

So really it depends on how much you want to play DayZ or if you think you can wait. :P

Edited by Sharpboy21, 10 August 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Sharpboy21-

#3 chunkeymonkey79

chunkeymonkey79

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Buy it and actually play ArmA 2. You can play the mod now, and just get standalone later. It helps BI and Rocket.

Plus, ArmA 2 is a awesomely fun game.
  • *Regulator* Fosty99 gave their beans

#4 Father Time

Father Time

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

http://dayzmod.com/f......<br /><br />

You should get Arma 2 CO because there's no saying when the standalone is coming out.

Edited by Father Time, 10 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#5 BaitedHook

BaitedHook

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

honestly? no

-stand alone announced and coming out
-exploits and hacking
-battleye incompetence, you can get randomly banned and SOL on your $30
-bad community because everyone learned their lesson on trust and being friendly in this game

when you come to the forum to complain the said above you get

"its an alpha"
"use the search feature"
"another one of these thousands of duplicate thread"

kind of thing

Edited by BaitedHook, 10 August 2012 - 07:36 PM.

• Quaby, Mountain Dew and EndlessNight gave their beans

#6 LuminatX

LuminatX

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Don't buy it just for DayZ when a standalone version is coming, plus WarZ is coming as well which will be way better.
cause arma 2 is horrible, the engine is crap.

#7 Swineflew

Swineflew

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Depends.
Is $30 a lot for you to play a game for at LEAST a month?

I've bought games for $60 that I barely played a week.

Edit: missed the warz troll post above.

Edited by Swineflew, 10 August 2012 - 07:58 PM.

• Gerald_the_weak, DieBrotmafia and xXxLockheedxXx gave their beans
You can watch me bumble around as I play:
My twitch channel Swineflew's Journal

#8 keosan24

keosan24

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

If your only going to buy arma 2 combined operations for dayz then you have to ask yourself if you personally think DayZ is worth 30 dollars in its current state. If your buying arma 2 because you plan on playing arma 2 and the rest of its mods including dayz then i would say go ahead.

#9 EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Don't buy it just for DayZ when a standalone version is coming, plus WarZ is coming as well which will be way better.
cause arma 2 is horrible, the engine is crap.

So from that I guess you're 11?
So you say WarZ will be way better than DayZ, that means you have already seen gameplay or played the game, could you show me some gameplays of it?Oh yeah thats right there a few screenshots, screenshots already tell you how a game is going to be?
Dont say a game IS horrible because it takes alot of time and money to create such a game like arma 2, its like someone just says "cod is shit" but dont even give reason why it is that, just dont be a 11 year old kid and atleast say in "my opinion this is bad about the game...", and the engine isnt crap, its perfect at what it does, thats why rocket used it, and besides, if you sa arma is horrible, the engine is crap, why are you even on the forum?
  • Gerald_the_weak and DieBrotmafia gave their beans
Ingame Name:Mugetsu or FinalMugetsuHD

#10 Chewie

Chewie

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

I agree with Sharpboy21. It depends on how much you want it. And don't compare a game like DayZ to a game like CoD. They're completely different. The only thing I see with WarZ is that its much more polished. the website looks pretty compared to the DayZ website. I personally like DayZ for its hardcore feeling. WarZ seems too much like an MMO. Its so neat and well organized and guided, that it may not feel so immersive (Spelling?). DayZ is much more like a survival horror game, its so closely simulated to an actual zombie apocalypse, (ArmA II was meant as a simulator, not a game) that your so emotionally involved in the game. Which was Dean Hall's main intent with DayZ, Thats why I love this game. :) Correct me if I'm wrong on any this, but don't get angry or hostile.
  • Sharpboy21, Naked_Snake and Faustian Echoes gave their beans

#11 Leetflakes

Leetflakes

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

i bought arma 2 CO just for dayz mod and so far it was worth it.
i say go for it the standalone is said to comeout late 2012 early 2013 (mabye, it does not have a confirmed release date yet, as far as i know)

#12 dagon

dagon

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

I agree with Sharpboy21. It depends on how much you want it. And don't compare a game like DayZ to a game like CoD. They're completely different. The only thing I see with WarZ is that its much more polished. the website looks pretty compared to the DayZ website. I personally like DayZ for its hardcore feeling. WarZ seems too much like an MMO. Its so neat and well organized and guided, that it may not feel so immersive (Spelling?). DayZ is much more like a survival horror game, its so closely simulated to an actual zombie apocalypse, (ArmA II was meant as a simulator, not a game) that your so emotionally involved in the game. Which was Dean Hall's main intent with DayZ, Thats why I love this game. :) Correct me if I'm wrong on any this, but don't get angry or hostile.

Im not playing a game for their pretty website and promised features. Warz has no gameplay available. and promises to be out in a few months.

#13 SystemiK

SystemiK

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

The only thing I see with WarZ is that its much more polished..

If you consider a few pretty screenshots to be polished then whatever. In general, polished refers to how well a game plays and feels, how much effort has been put into making everything perfect. In the case of WarZ there is no game play to judge. Until we can see some actual gameplay and some people have had "hands on", polished is just a pipedream.
  • dagon and sostronk gave their beans

#14 bangomango

bangomango

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

If all you want to do is play DayZ, no. Otherwise, hell yes.

Remember that you are buying a game to play a mod. Don't forget that there is the base game. Although Arma 3 is coming up, Arma 2 CO is definitely worth four times the amount that it sells for. It has nigh infinite playing hours due to all of the mods, missions, addons, and the ingame editor (somehow these mainstream games sell for $60 and contain much less content than Arma 2).
  • AntiCitizenOne gave their beans

#15 brizz

brizz

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

not worth spending money for arma2 just to play dayz... dayz is in a horrible horrible state... bugs over bugs ( ok its an alpha.. so nevermind ) but currently hackers are ruining your game on a daily basis on EVERY server. theres NO cheat protection. also the arma2 engine is terrible.. i got an insane fast computer, and even on the LOWEST settings, the fps drop to 5-10 sometimes especially in citys... relogging/restarting helps, but fps drop soon again after some minutes. so all in all... better wait for the stand alone

#16 bangomango

bangomango

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

also the arma2 engine is terrible.. i got an insane fast computer, and even on the LOWEST settings, the fps drop to 5-10 sometimes especially in citys... relogging/restarting helps, but fps drop soon again after some minutes. so all in all... better wait for the stand alone

Dude, I had a shit computer running vanilla Arma 2, no OA, and still got 20 FPS on normal, with AA and postprocess effects. I'm sorry, but you don't have an insanely fast computer.
  • Naked_Snake gave their beans

#17 AntiCitizenOne

AntiCitizenOne

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

To the best of my knowledge, stand-alone and A2 are going to be developed side-by-side.

#18 SystemiK

SystemiK

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

Honestly, it's worth the price of Arma 2 just to play one single mod called Namalsk Crisis (http://www.nightstal...en_index_nc.php ) and keep in mind this is only ONE mod for the base game.

Couple of clips for Namalsk Crisis below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pYF3J6QHDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BP65cPlBOE
  • Gerald_the_weak gave their beans

#19 louie9

louie9

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

currently hackers are ruining your game on a daily basis on EVERY server. theres NO cheat protection. . . .

How many people have been affected by the hacking? and when's the most likely time for Dayz standalone to come out?

Posted Image

#20 LatinGeek

LatinGeek

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

The mod will continue to be updated even after the standalone is out, and it is a brilliant game even if you just get a bunch of friends together and do ArmEx.
It's your choice, tho.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arma 2, Dayz, Standalone, Game, Combined Operations, Operation Arrowhead, Mod