rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

I had a bandit do this to me today at NW airfield barracks... I looked inside and saw the player down the end of the hall, I moved so he couldn't shoot me - looked back in and he was gone?! me and a friend checked the loot and after a few minutes decided to move out... as we started to leave I passed out (due to 2800 blood) and as my character stood up, the guy had spawned back in and shot me and then disconnected again so my friend couldn't kill him... still it was a good life.

Indeed, a disconnect timer would be enough. And even if you crash or alt+f4, your character would still stay those 30 secs on the server. Also, make it something that pops a visual element of disconnection, for those people that may try to disconnect when being robbed.

Why not a simple system comparable to most MMO's?

You want to log out so you click disconnect, a message pops up: "Your character will be taken offline in X seconds (counting down realtime). You can still see your character during this time but can't take any actions. So if someting happening in this timespan you click cancel and react. You're back in the game and if you wanna quit you'll just have to do it over again.

Alternatively, instead of waiting, you just click "disconnect now". You get a warning: "Are you sure you want to quit, your character will remain in the game for "X" more seconds." And you click: "Yes, whatever".

It probably has been suggested...

Cos the way you explained it, it will mean you can log out during a fight and get no penalty, you only get the penalty if you do it over and over again, right...? Doesn't seem a consistent solution at all.

• Like 4

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space' date=' it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

[/quote']

I hope every other issue is fixed before this is... because I re-log and server hop often due to many reasons.

waiting for server will stick to specific servers,

loot points never changing in a 50Km Radius it seems.

when loot points never change I can't find more wood to keep warm so i must log out or simply to find more loot I must log out.

When I find a hacker that doesn't die from the first headshot or grenade blast I must log out before he kills me.

If that will all be completely fixed and more I approve of this change then.

If not you'll end up pissing off even more people for 'unfair deaths'.

Last time I shot a guy and he logged out my change in tact was obvious. Kill them faster.

I've died many times much faster then I could even think of trying to log out.

30 seconds? Too short IMHO, I would say at least 2 minutes. Seems harsh, but if someone is attacked and runs into a building to disconnect, it might take you a minute just to follow him to his location and find him.

• Like 3

The loggingin /relogging thing sounds good, but it might be a little harsh in game. For example, right now, im having troubles updating to 1.6.0.1. I join a game, it says i need the update, i leave, update, come back, and repeat. According to what you're are saying, my character would be killed for what i am doing.

I think a good 30 second log out timer would be a good thing to do, like WoW or runescape. obviously this wont prevent the person you are see across cherno to run into a building and log out, but i think its enough.

• Like 1

Someone here suggested to keep player avatar present on the server for 60 seconds if they alt+f4 or just disconnect. Why not just do that? Why the warnings? If someone is after you and you D/C then they will still be able to interact with your avatar for the next 60 sec. You log back it, sorry you're dead, your loss.

Can't wait' date=' the pace of the bug fixes and updates is real nice. Just as I'm getting burnt out on dayz you pull me back in...Downloading 1.6.0 now seeing as you stole my hatchet and heat packs idea directly from my mind.

In case you can't read my mind I'll share some more of my ideas, listed from bad to worse, as my patch files slowly download from this German mirror...

* Sparse Bears and Wolves in the woods that attack and can be killed for special meat that restores more then 800 blood would be swell.

* Add some sort of ghillie tarp to throw over and better hide parked vehicles.

* Some kind of quick wave emote or gun lowering mechanic to show (or trick) fellow survivors that you are friendly.

* C4 Make it rare enough and being killed by it will be an honor.

* Parachutes, Reusable and slightly less rare then night vision goggles.

* Bicycles with space bar bunny hop functionality.

* Landmines make them as common as tin cans. No one will complain.

[/quote']

There is a lower rifle (two clicks of left control) and a salute function (\) if you are unaware. I like the wave idea. Post this in suggestions, ill add my vote.

Rocket, I don't have a great internet connection, and on some servers I've got bad performance. When the system will be implemented, will it mean if I change server many times to find one with good performance my character will die ?

On the other hand, it is good to keep the hardcore feeling of the game to give punishment if you disconnect in the middle of a fight. It's what I like in games like Dark Souls : no save point, no way to avoid a bad situation, every single thing you do have consequences and there's no turning back.

Maybe your character should stay in the game world some times after you log out ? Meaning to log out you should first find a safe place, and couldn't do it in the middle of a fight ?

I feel this would punish people who have to disconnect for legit reasons way more. Moments were you D/C to avoid death are pretty uncommon so it wont happen that much to begin with. I agree with other people: just let the body stay in the game for a minute. This way legit D/Cs arent a problem (if you log out in a safe location), emergency D/C will get your character killed right away.

Played for about 1 hour and 4 little school girls D/C on me. One was in the church, me and my AKM were coming in and saw him, retreated a bit and decided to storm in but surprise...no one there. Another one at the market, he had aggro and saw me approaching, 10 seconds later he was gone. Another one at the Power Plant, he was running from zeds, saw me and 5 second later he was gone. Another school girl was running around town, shot a few fires and a few seconds later buh bye.

If you can't handle the heat in Elektro and Cherno stay the f OUT !

On the other hand, some creepy sh*t happend to me. Logged in normally only to find that hourglass (no bleeding) which took about 5 minutes to deplete, when there were like 15 seconds left my character decided to bleed....and died before the hourglass was done. And this after a normal Abort, no aggro or ALT+F4.

I dont know, make a "log off button", press it and after say 15 seconds disconnect the player. If the player disconnects any other way screw him. But any solution has its flaws.

I had a bandit do this to me today at NW airfield barracks... I looked inside and saw the player down the end of the hall' date=' I moved so he couldn't shoot me - looked back in and he was gone?! me and a friend checked the loot and after a few minutes decided to move out... as we started to leave I passed out (due to 2800 blood) and as my character stood up, the guy had spawned back in and shot me and then disconnected again so my friend couldn't kill him... still it was a good life.

[/quote']

I call this people Jumpers. In my opinion solution is simple - temporary ban (for example for 5-10 min). If you disconnected from server X - you can't join server X for 5-10 minutes. So no one will be able to suddenly appear behind your back and kill you.

still tho 30secs-2mins atm because your toons arent svaed the server its hard to do. I saw a rumor saying that later they plan to make your toons saved to that server and only that server. Im assuming Rockets idea will work wonders at that time because if you log then your done. there wont be oh ill wait a minute, or ill just go to another server. and Alt+4 i think wont work bc of how its used in many games there isnt a way around that. So again i support Rocket with this idea and remind people its still in a developmental phase and things take time. If they added and took away every idea we'd not have anything to do because servers are down.

**on a side note, updates in the middle of a weekend is a bad idea btw lol

Jesus christ, people. Is it not obvious that it is not possible to keep the player on the server? Think about for a few seconds, and you'll see why its not being done this way. You act like this is in the capabilities of the DayZ team to implement, well, they only really have control over spawns, inventory, health, sickness, temperature, and all that other stuff they added. They can't just keep a player in the server.

Someone here suggested to keep player avatar present on the server for 60 seconds if they alt+f4 or just disconnect. Why not just do that? Why the warnings? If someone is after you and you D/C then they will still be able to interact with your avatar for the next 60 sec. You log back it' date=' sorry you're dead, your loss.

[/quote']

That's the best solution in my opinion. But i would increase to 120 secs to make sure people can kill disconectors.

In this game, sometimes firefight is slow. Sometimes you take time behind walls waiting for something to happen before you do some stepts to your victim / agressor. So 60 secs would be ineficient in some cases. 2 minutes would be the minimum (in my opinion).

Jesus christ' date=' people. Is it not obvious that it is not possible to keep the player on the server? Think about for a few seconds, and you'll see why its not being done this way. You act like this is in the capabilities of the DayZ team to implement, well, they only really have control over spawns, inventory, health, sickness, temperature, and all that other stuff they added. They can't just keep a player in the server.

[/quote']

Never say never.

Besides... DayZ will be implemented in the next update of Arma 2 OA as official mod (as i've read in some interview). So.... this mod is not another mod. This mod is THE MOD, and Bohemia will supoort it.

So, i asume that is posible.

i feel guilty xD more than once ive disconnected cause of zombies... whoever everyone haves panis times xd

i hope i dont get punished anytime.

my pc hates me and gives me a ctd very often. -.-

I can't really say I've had many people disconnect on me, at least not that I have easily noticed.

The last few kills I've had (self defense honestly) have been clear cut and swift, double tap or 3-4 into the chest and head and they drop. No chance to disconnect.

But when I play are probably off times for these types of people (bed time set by mom), so its just good old fashioned men playing.

And for all of you worrying about getting killed for bugs and or having to server hop for issues... I am sure he is taking that into consideration.

Some nights I might have to try 4-5 different servers in the space of a few minutes, I think Rocket is referring to the guys that server hop 4 servers in the space of like 30 seconds.

I think the character should stay in game H24 (even if you disconnect). If you need to sleep (in real life)...? it's your affair. Sleeping in a zombie apocalypse is dangerous. :D

Do you have a job? Do you have school? A girlfriend.. whatever.. your problem. You lost everything the day the death walked the earth.

This is the only pratical solution because it doesn't try to find a solution to an impossible problem (deciding if someone disconnects for a legit reason or not is only a matter of interpretation), but it eliminates completely the problem.

You don't like it? You bunch of cowards. :D

(don't reply we'll need alot more servers because of the characaters persistence.. lol.. it was only a provocation)

I get very bad wife aggro which is 10 times worse than zombie aggro and 50 times worse than any bandit, especially when I say I want to go somewhere with her and she is finally ready, which 8 out of 10 times I am playing. I like to train zombies behind me sometimes because it is easier to run them from one town to another than crawl through (faster). Once I get where I am going I turn around and unload. Have to kill alot of zombies in order to loot the town that I am in, but it is worth it, since time is of essence. Crawling through one town is much slower than running through 2-3 with trail of zombies.

I know if I quick log, they will all disappear , along with all the loot in that area, so that is never an option, but that being said, I see it done so many times for those who are just simply trying to avoid death, nothing worse than bending over to loot something while an idiot outside is running all the zombies around then logs off. If I can take zombie aggro, bandit aggro, and wife aggro, then you all can do the same. Just because you are out of bullets does not mean you have to log off, find a building first...that is generally where the loot/ammo is, or just die, chances are if you are out of ammo anyways, then you have not much time vested in the character you are on at the moment.

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space' date=' it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

[/quote']

This is fantastic! I personally don't mind too much if I die. That just means I made a mistake and deserve it. It helps me learn not do that next life. Sure, I don't like losing all my cool loot, but that certainly doesn't mean I can't find it again, that's actually one of, if not the most enjoyable things in DayZ for me.

You are a God among men Rocket! May the Beans be with you!

I think the character should stay in game H24 (even if you disconnect). If you need to sleep (in real life)...? it's your affair. Sleeping in a zombie apocalypse is dangerous. :D

Do you have a job? Do you have school? A girlfriend.. whatever.. your problem. You lost everything the day the death walked the earth.

This is the only pratical solution because it doesn't try to find a solution to an impossible problem (deciding if someone disconnects for a legit reason or not is only a matter of interpretation)' date=' but it eliminates completely the problem.

You don't like it? You bunch of cowards. :D

(don't reply we'll need alot more servers because of the characaters persistence.. lol.. it was only a provocation)

[/quote']

I like very much that idea, but would be very difficult to implement. Arma 2 code must be changed in order to do that (or not, i dont really know anything).

But yes... .it would be awesome!!! :)

that seems like a reasonable way to combat it.

it wont disrupt changing servers every now and then for friends.

and it doesnt delay you logging off in general.

what about things where you dont connect to some servers?

ive tried numerous servers getting to requesting char data, and then loading, only to be frozen or booted sometimes (other continent servers too high ping)

what if i do this a few times, how would you deal with that situation? one night i got to the loading before spawn 4 times i believe before finding a good server.

Like others are asking, I too also wonder how the system will play out when you are Disconnecting due to server stalled or bugged out, and had to D/C. Or the fact lets say, to be honest, most don't play Night, many leave once they find its Night or ask in chat and leave, How will that be handled and not played out like a player is trying to avoid death, instead, just switching servers.