#1 rocket

rocket

Bean King

• DayZ Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

POPULAR

I don't know why, but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It will be patched out, very easily, in a future update. The update is ready to go and will be released when the Beta patch for ArmA2 is out.
  • heartborne, ZoggleDeOrange, Bezki and 52 others gave their beans
>rocket in charge of not being retarded

#2 rocketa

rocketa

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't know why, but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It will be patched out, very easily, in a future update. The update is ready to go and will be released when the Beta patch for ArmA2 is out.

You're clearly bluffing.

#3 Gabriel

Gabriel

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

http://t3.gstatic.co...ayj8qEVuUwGbgO4
  • G0V3RNM3NT4L gave their beans

#4 L_T

L_T

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Can't wait, the pace of the bug fixes and updates is real nice. Just as I'm getting burnt out on dayz you pull me back in...Downloading 1.6.0 now seeing as you stole my hatchet and heat packs idea directly from my mind.

In case you can't read my mind I'll share some more of my ideas, listed from bad to worse, as my patch files slowly download from this German mirror...

* Sparse Bears and Wolves in the woods that attack and can be killed for special meat that restores more then 800 blood would be swell.
* Add some sort of ghillie tarp to throw over and better hide parked vehicles.
* Some kind of quick wave emote or gun lowering mechanic to show (or trick) fellow survivors that you are friendly.
* C4 Make it rare enough and being killed by it will be an honor.
* Parachutes, Reusable and slightly less rare then night vision goggles.
* Bicycles with space bar bunny hop functionality.
* Landmines make them as common as tin cans. No one will complain.
  • Bezki, mbfjeld, Oifriendlyfire and 6 others gave their beans

#5 SWAT_BigBear

SWAT_BigBear

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

just have Bigfoot awaiting their respawn, prob solved.
  • MissSweeney, (CKW) Johnny and xTLRxPrototype gave their beans

#6 JustBlah

JustBlah

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

NICE!

#7 Klaz48

Klaz48

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

The only way i see d/c is if a player is killing you. if its zombies chasing you, they will usually rape you a bit before you are able to d/c.

#8 Skilllos

Skilllos

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

YAY! :D

#9 rocket

rocket

Bean King

• DayZ Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space, it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.
  • Ramboness, Bezki, GummyWyrm and 15 others gave their beans
>rocket in charge of not being retarded

#10 AdenFlorian

AdenFlorian

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space, it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

But sometimes I have to relog every time I fill up a jerry can and refuel a car, unless that's been fixed now.

#11 riesenkartoffel

riesenkartoffel

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

So does this also prevent server hopping in hopes of quick loot? Also many of those who d/c to avoid death by other players don't do it really that rapidly, so I can't see how this could really help for that issue.

#12 eel

eel

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I only hope that server logs are able to distinguish between waiting for server response and actually getting into the game.
  • Santaman2346, XDARKNESS192, mythTECH and 3 others gave their beans

#13 Smails

Smails

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I only hope that server logs are able to distinguish between waiting for server response and actually getting into the game.

What he said!

#14 Xant

Xant

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

So does this also prevent server hopping in hopes of quick loot? Also many of those who d/c to avoid death by other players don't do it really that rapidly, so I can't see how this could really help for that issue.

Yea, I can see people doing a lot more legit connects/disconnects than the exploiters DCing in the middle of a firefight...

I.e joining a server and noticing there's a crosshair/nametag on, your friend not being able to get in the server, the server being bugged, your ArmA2 being bugged etc.

I hope it won't end up bothering legit users more than the exploiters, much like DRM.

#15 Lexxer

Lexxer

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

People will still just disconnect to save themselves and then wait 20 min (or however long it takes) before logging back in.

im not sure its technically possible with current engine but something similiar to how UO did it might work. You would need to set up a camp (or some other activity) that takes about 30 seconds before logging out.
  • Santaman2346, Dr. Fever, Pikandy and 4 others gave their beans

#16 EpharGy

EpharGy

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

What if the game didnt disconnect you instantly, it left you in the game world for 30s once you disconnect.

That way if your trying to avoid trouble, your still on the server for 30s not moving, a very harsh punishment for those who abuse it.

But harsh i guess for those that legitimately disconnect or crash.

#17 Shrapnel1

Shrapnel1

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

So is there going to be any explanation on DC'ing cause of server responses etc? Cause I usually have to do it anywhere from once to 10+ times depending on my luck...If this causes me to log in to a dead character then wtf?

#18 Stewe231

Stewe231

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Why not just make it so if Zombies are aggro'd on you, and you disconnect, it keeps your character there after you leave for 30s?
  • YourStepDad gave their beans

#19 Tehdark

Tehdark

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I hope it won't end up bothering legit users more than the exploiters, much like DRM.

I expect that is exactly what this will do, or at least how I understand it. All it will stop is people who do it constantly over a short period of time. Who does that? Surely it's people doing it every once in a while when they are ambushed / zombie swamped, or whatever. I can think of plenty of times where I have logged in / out to attempt fix bugs, or log off to take a phone call etc etc. Idk, it seems flawed, but I obviously don't know how it works fully - limited information and all that.
  • Eza gave their beans

#20 Virfortis

Virfortis

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

To be honest? We need to take a cue from, of all places, an MMO.

Dark Age of Camelot specifically. Type /quit (or whatever) to have your player start disconnecting. You're not immobile, but if you so much as move your timer is cancelled. Did you recently engage someone or get caught by zombies? (the distress thingy we have now) then it's 60 seconds for you.

This kinda can't be an Abort option I wouldn't think, as Abort would seem kinda hard grained. Maybe the server can handle the timer and then kick players after 30 seconds of making the /quit command?
  • Quale gave their beans