Sign in to follow this  
RoastLamb

Revised rpg skill system

If there are to be skills in dayz

Stats for skills should only be improved when practice in groups. i.e. 2 or more people need to be practicing these skills in the vicinity of each other for them to improve.

Certain 'techs' or 'abilities/knowledge' can only be learnt from one player to another in a journeyman and apprentice relationship. This will lead to groups keeping their skill sets to themselves to maintain advantage etc.

Players with gifts in certain disciplines will need to find others to help them develop those skills further (maybe its a speed thing, learning from someone else is x1000 faster than developing on yourself)

High proficiency in certain skills and abilities, should be made to be very rare, the lose of that player should be costly not just to the clan/group but maybe even to a whole populations of players, think of say a surgeon who is able to perform life saving operations and able to train medics very efficiently, if he dies it will be a long time before the dayz community comes across another character like that. These skill advantages should be a strategic element to the game, do clans keep these players to themselves, do they seek to profit from it, etc. - Does a bandit (of course these guys need to be highly skilled in wilderness survival) clan really want to mess with the clan with the only surgeon... does the clan with the helicopter skills want to have a monopoly on ariel transport - think about that, how many survivors would be able to fly a helicopter?

Engineers needed to fix machinery such as vehicles, electricians needed to maintain radios, bushman for forest skills, etc etc.

The skill mechanics thats working in the background ought to be very indepth but very intuitive, seemingly simply to the player. ie to the player, he has some skills, he can improved them slowly (almost impossible to detect) on his own, but really he needs the right training from other skilled players. But becoming extremely highly skilled should be a mystery to the players (the algorithm not being obvious).

Skills under no circumstances should be based on a basic repetition system as been seen before.

90% sure there won't be skills in the standalone version nor in the mod at all unless servers separately make their own skill system.

i wouldn't like it. People would start making bots and macros and not care about the main thing which is surviving

Fuck no go back to a traditional mmorpg with rules, quest hubs, skills etc for this and leave us to our sandbox with no rules I wanna do WHATEVER I WANT not beat my head against a keyboard grinding.

Fuck no go back to a traditional mmorpg with rules, quest hubs, skills etc for this and leave us to our sandbox with no rules I wanna do WHATEVER I WANT not beat my head against a keyboard grinding.

But DayZ is more grinding than any other game. You die, you start from new. The only game where was option to lose everything was Ultima Online. :P

ha all you mouthy fools

Rocket himself just voiced the same ideas in this interview - he has at least given thought to these matters

i now have a lot of trust in Rocket and that he'll do justice to the game

Edited by RoastLamb

ha all you mouthy fools

Rocket himself just voiced the same ideas in this interview - he has at least given thought to these matters

i gave you beans for that just to take them away

Edited by Herb

I don't like this suggestion at all, as it means lone wolfs can never truely learn skills? ... there is also no reason why a person can't learn by trial&error or rather, learning by doing. If anyone has any constructive critisism feel free to join in, http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32582-learning-by-doing-the-alternative-to-classes-professions/ , i am almost done fully revising the OP ... all the people that want to scream NOoooo, you just had your fix, please read the full topic and discussion, if you still feel negatively about the suggested learning-by-doing suggestion please leave concrete reasons asto why you think it's so bad.

I don't like this suggestion at all, as it means lone wolfs can never truely learn skills? ... there is also no reason why a person can't learn by trial&error or rather, learning by doing. If anyone has any constructive critisism feel free to join in, http://dayzmod.com/f...es-professions/ , i am almost done fully revising the OP ... all the people that want to scream NOoooo, you just had your fix, please read the full topic and discussion, if you still feel negatively about the suggested learning-by-doing suggestion please leave concrete reasons asto why you think it's so bad.

I think the important thing is to avoid grinding at all cost. But I do get your lonewolf argument, but is it authentic (as Rock like to say)? Even a skilled real life sniper, who operates on his own, had to learn all his survival skills and shooting skills from a mentor.

i'll go read your original post and continue convo there... cheers

ha all you mouthy fools

It isn't actual skills hes talking about though, it doesn't effect your aiming or amount of collection on looting. Just general skills.