Sign in to follow this  
nihilisst

Skill/Stat System, reduced and adapted to fit DayZ

Before I start: Please, read either everything or nothing and don't take early conclusions.

This has been discussed already a lot, but I think I'll share my idea of a Stat/Skill System that fits quite well into the game.

That doesn't take away authenticity.

That doesn't make it a classic RPG.

That adds more depth + tactical possibilites.

That gives your Character more personality.

Because it's what I feel is needed in this game. Every Character is the same, they have no personality at all. Of course, you're only an unknown survivor, like everyone else, but like in Real Life, everybody's different on some way. (god, how cheesy does that sound?!).

I suggest a basic Skill/Stat System that runs in the background (like Humanity does already now).

- Skill Levels will be determined at Character Creation, and are saved with the Players Profile, so Changes and decisions don't have to be made with every new start, but only when and if you decide it.

You don't *have* to create a custom character, you can simply play with standard settings.

If you like to add some Personal flavour to the game, this is the feature for you.

- Also, there is no Skill Sheet, everything runs in the background and influences your actions directly. The HUD will stay as it is, no additional information required.

- Skills or Stats will be only those that cannot be translated into the game directly through input.

i.e. "Sneaking": If a player is good at sneaking, he will choose a different path, be more cautious, more silent, than a player that isn't good at sneaking. This "Skill" translates directly into the game, so it isn't usable for the Skill System.

"Stamina" or "Strength" on the opposite, cannot be translated directly into the game. There is no way to determine ingame, if a player can carry 60kg or 80kg. Neither if he can run 5km or 10km. So These could be Skills/Stats, that are determined at Character Creation.

- To Determine Skills/Stats, there are two ways:

"Character Classes" - different types of Characters, that all have different, pre-defined levels in each Skill. (i.e. "Medic" good at First aid, fast, but not strong and fast tired).

Also: "Random" Option, for Players that don't care about personal characters.

"Skill Points" - Each skill/stat has different levels (Let's say 5: very low, low, medium, high, very high), And you have enough "points" to set everything on "medium", but if you want to be better at one thing, you have to do this at the expense of another.

Plus: Standard-Characters, everything on Medium, suited for lazy/impatient players. ;)

- Skill Development through "Learning by doing"

It is understandable, that someone who spends a lot of time on something, gets better at it.

i.e. Someone who decides to play as a Medic, will get better at Bandaging, so he can apply bandages faster.

Someone who hunts and guts animals a lot, will get better at it, maybe get more meat or get faster at it.

Someone who carries a lot of Stuff will get stronger.

Someone who runs a lot will get more Stamina.

These Improvements will not be displayed like in i.e. Skyrim: "First Aid increased to 54", but will only be minimal, and can only be felt after some time. Like in Real Life, you only see a difference when you compare with what was a few days/weeks before.

There are no Levels, everything just improves continuously. But of course there is a upper limit, based on authentic human capacities. Nobody can become imba just by doing some things over and over.

- Some other features are heavily linked to this stat system:

Custom Character Creation, with more options than just "Male or Female"

Crafting and Repair system

Stamina

Carry Weight

- This is just a Concept, to explain my idea. Examples are only examples.

- The most important thing, like with every new feature & suggestion: keep it as authentic as possible.

You need to avoid the temptation for skill spamming, or whatever its called, where people keep doing the same over and over just to raise their stats in a given skill.

skills? haha sounds like Skyrim skill leveling to me.

The current appeal of this game is that you can just jump in when you want and do what you want. With skills and stats, players will grind and then two people who respawn will have two completely different skill sets, strengths, and weaknesses, and then we'll create a hierarchy of people with dial-up skills instead of actual skill.

I`d prefer almost no customization at character creation, and as you do things you evolve over time. (Learning by doing, as you said.)

The difference between Skyrim and Morrowind.

But some people don`t really like RPG or that style of mechanics, so I doubt this will be put in.

Edited by Tarkastio

"Skill Points" - Each skill/stat has different levels (Let's say 5: very low, low, medium, high, very high), And you have enough "points" to set everything on "medium", but if you want to be better at one thing, you have to do this at the expense of another.

Plus: Standard-Characters, everything on Medium, suited for lazy/impatient players. ;)

No

It is understandable, that someone who spends a lot of time on something, gets better at it.

i.e. Someone who decides to play as a Medic, will get better at Bandaging, so he can apply bandages faster.

Someone who hunts and guts animals a lot, will get better at it, maybe get more meat or get faster at it.

Someone who carries a lot of Stuff will get stronger.

Someone who runs a lot will get more Stamina.

Yes

I sort of agree.

I am not so much in favour of skills but more along the lines that you have to learn something.

I find it a bit un-authentic that i can cure broken bones, give blood transfusions, snipe from 1000m, fix cars and fly helicopters. Perhaps there needs to be something in game that you need in order to do these things. I have no idea what, since i dont think a "How to Fly a Huey Monthly" would just be lying around.

Rocket says he wants people to be able to do stuff in game if they can do it IRL. Well, put me in control of a Huey and watch me plunge it straight into the ground!

Not sure of a solution tbh. Perhaps a slow progression of ability can be done - ie your aim gets better the more you use your gun, bandaging is a bit quicker, you can repair vehicles a little better. Who knows?

Or we can just leave it as it is.

You need to avoid the temptation for skill spamming, or whatever its called, where people keep doing the same over and over just to raise their stats in a given skill.

That's the factor I'm sceptical about, too. But I think if it is managed like Humanity (calculated in the background), Players aren't directly confronted with their Skill Development, So "What the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve over." Least Players will care about improving particular skills if they don't have a direct feedback. (Like a progress bar, level-up messages... That I don't want to see either)

And Nobody knows when and how you reach the maximum skill, except the developers. (And maybe someone that spends hours on analyzing the improvements)

Plus, Skills that can be improved are mostly things you cannot spam. Like animal gutting; you won't have 20 Cows to kill and gut so quickly that you can call it spamming. Same with bandaging. You can't bandage, if there's no wound. Or repairing (supposed there will be a repair system), you can't repair things that aren't broken.

The current appeal of this game is that you can just jump in when you want and do what you want.

I have in mind a starting screen that's like the current "Male or Female" selection, but with "Standard or Custom Character" selection. So Players that just want to jump in and play, they click on "Standard" and play with a normal, average Character, with average skills.

If You are like me and want to have a bit more personality, You click on "Custom" and play around with Classes and/or Stats to create a Character that suits your Play-style and personal taste. (Or, your real-life skills)

With skills and stats, players will grind and then two people who respawn will have two completely different skill sets, strengths, and weaknesses, and then we'll create a hierarchy of people with dial-up skills instead of actual skill

If the Skill system is balanced, every new player will have the same chances as everyone else. Because for every skill you improve at the beginning, you have to do so at the expense of another. So You cannot create a "Uber" Character, you simply have different (dis-)advantages on other players.

Also, I explained that Skills that could be implented in the Skill System have to be only things that cannot be translated directly into the game trough input.

Someone who has only Basic First Aid Skills has no disadvantage on a Player that knows how to operate a brain tumor.

So People can decide to start as someone with higher medical education, and ingame are able to give transfusions, take care of infections, apply bandages quicker and more effectively than someone who starts with the skills of a Boxer: Strong, fast, but Zero fine motor skills. (Sorry for the Cliché)

On the opposite, Skills like Weapon Handling, Sneaking, Orientation, ... are translated directly into the game.

Someone who knows how to read the stars has this real-life advantage also ingame.

Someone who is experienced in Sniping, Using Mildots, Calculating Wind, Gravitation etc, has this advantage also ingame.

I`d prefer almost no customization at character creation, and as you do things you evolve over time. (Learning by doing, as you said.)

The difference between Skyrim and Morrowind.

But some people don`t really like RPG or that style of mechanics, so I doubt this will be put in.

on the opposite, Some people really like the idea of a stat/Skill system and Custom Character Creation (Optical, but also skills)

In my Suggestion, I tried to make it as fitting as possible and, with the options to choose if you want to play a custom character or not, everyone should be able to play as he wants.

I sort of agree.

I am not so much in favour of skills but more along the lines that you have to learn something.

I find it a bit un-authentic that i can cure broken bones, give blood transfusions, snipe from 1000m, fix cars and fly helicopters. Perhaps there needs to be something in game that you need in order to do these things. I have no idea what, since i dont think a "How to Fly a Huey Monthly" would just be lying around.

Rocket says he wants people to be able to do stuff in game if they can do it IRL. Well, put me in control of a Huey and watch me plunge it straight into the ground!

Not sure of a solution tbh. Perhaps a slow progression of ability can be done - ie your aim gets better the more you use your gun, bandaging is a bit quicker, you can repair vehicles a little better. Who knows?

Or we can just leave it as it is.

Slow progression is what I'm talking about.

About flying helicopters: That is also one of the skills that's directly translated into the game. You have to learn how to fly the thing, ingame. It's as authentic as it gets. A Skill "Helicopter Flying" would be completely useless, as it would make it less authentic. Or how would you make Flying easier for Players that improve this Skill / Find a "How to Fly a Huey Monthly" ? Right, not at all, without taking away authenticity.

And after all, it's still just a game.

Sounds interesting as a general idea, because people aren't the same in the world, so I expect to see this in the game.

But needs some tweak from developers, otherwise it could broke the main nature of the game or its gameplay.

Why not use search, and find the 'learning by doing' thread? i updated it yesterday with a lot of details on how various skillsets would work, and against my own preferences I even added the custom character creation option. Even though i prefer to have everybody start at the same level... And i would love all yours feedback on it, so please do read: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32582-learning-by-doing-the-alternative-to-classes-professions/ and leave your views...

I think the "custom character" option should give no additional points, but you'd have to withdraw points from other skills to put them into another. Like, I'd take away a point of "repair" and put it into "medic".

I think the "custom character" option should give no additional points, but you'd have to withdraw points from other skills to put them into another. Like, I'd take away a point of "repair" and put it into "medic".