Back to dayzgame.com
Photo

DayZ standalone... Wait for it, or buy now?

DayZ Standalone Buy Now or wait? Ughh Tough Descision

37 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan_S

Stefan_S

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

So, I recently ordered a new Gaming PC, and it should be arriving in two weeks time.

However, recently it was announced that DayZ would be a standalone game.

Now, I realize that we might have to buy DayZ AGAIN to continue playing, as it is separating itself from Arma II.

So, what do you guys think? Also with the hacker issue I hear is making some servers unplayable.

Should I buy Arma 2 (I am also interested in Arma II, but id rather wait for Arma III for the sake of saving money) and play DayZ?

Or wait for it to release by itself, whenever that may be?

#2 Sergeant Squatt

Sergeant Squatt

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

theres already mutltiple posts about this and the standalone could take a year or more

b_560x95.png

#3 Lennsik

Lennsik

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationKent, Ohio

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Up to you. None of us know yet when Day Z will be standalone, I'd say wait until we get an estimated release date and then make your decision on that.

#4 f123456789knvm

f123456789knvm

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

You can't develop a good game in under a year, look at CoD, DayZ standalone will take 1.5 years minimum and 3 years max. For now enjoy the mod, this is however assuming they don't do a minecraftesque release where you can buy your way into the alpha/beta, which I hope they intend on doing.

#5 PolarEclipse

PolarEclipse

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Note that you buy Arma II. DayZ itself is free.
  • flint gave their beans

#6 RudestBuddhist

RudestBuddhist

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

You COULD buy ArmA II right now and play DayZ in its current state OR...

You could meet me in a shady part of town and i'll hook you up with a pre-order standalone DayZ. Hopefully you're comfortable with buying things out of my trunk.

The urine smell will go away after a few hours.
  • jesus123, flint, Mabo and 4 others gave their beans

#7 Timmooboy

Timmooboy

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

The DayZ standalone will probably come out before Christmas. Not in 1/1½ years.
  • Powell and SausageKingofChicago gave their beans

#8 Stefan_S

Stefan_S

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

You COULD buy ArmA II right now and play DayZ in its current state OR...

You could meet me in a shady part of town and i'll hook you up with a pre-order standalone DayZ. Hopefully you're comfortable with buying things out of my trunk.

The urine smell will go away after a few hours.

Sounds tempting.... I'll have to pass :)

Anyways, I did read somewhere they are adopting the Minecraft release model.

I think they bought the Arma II engine, so it shouldn't take that long.

Also, I think rocket stated before christmas... I'll decide eventually I guess

#9 Acix

Acix

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationIn the Bushes Hunting Your Team

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

The DayZ standalone will probably come out before Christmas. Not in 1/1½ years.

complete speculation only thing thats been stated is they are trying to get the beta up and running before christmas

Edited by Acix, 07 August 2012 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway-

#10 Nucleqrwinter

Nucleqrwinter

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

complete speculation only thing thats been stated is they are trying to get the beta up and running before christmas

Well to be honest they also said it would come out as an unfinished product like Minecraft, we might even be playing the alpha of the standalone game just like we've been playing the alpha of the mod.

Knowing this, and the fact that Rocket already tested DayZ on the Arma 3 engine not so long ago and already ported it successfully... before Christmas? I say we'll be playing the standalone game even sooner than that.

#11 TheFired3mon

TheFired3mon

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Rocket did state that it should be in standalone by the end of the year.
  • Powell gave their beans
Total time spent playing DayZ: ~113 Hours

#12 Swineflew

Swineflew

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Honestly people buy games that cost $60 and play for a couple weeks.

$30 for at LEAST 2 months is more than fair imo.
  • daze23 gave their beans
You can watch me bumble around as I play:
My twitch channel Swineflew's Journal

#13 TheMachine

TheMachine

Bean King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Rocket did state that it should be in standalone by the end of the year.

I'd literally take a bet that it isn't out before mid 2013, around august.
About a year.
Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LtHQW1fSvyA

#14 Jony_RocketInMyPocket

Jony_RocketInMyPocket

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationIn a deerstand midwest

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Well in light of the 1.7.2.5 patch taking FOREVER (damn graphical bugs), I suggest you think long and hard about this one.

#15 ADub

ADub

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

[url="http://kotaku.com/5932418/dayz-is-officially-being-turned-into-a-standalone-game#13443684030715&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":2394"]http://kotaku.com/5932418/dayz-is-officially-being-turned-into-a-standalone-game#13443684030715&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":2394[/url]}

Is this unofficial information? :( I am le confused.

#16 Michaelvoodoo25

Michaelvoodoo25

Turdy Waffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4967 posts
  • LocationLe Moon

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

A new game before Sept? They may be able to modify the engine and port it over to ARMA 3's engine but I highly doubt a finished DayZ will be out before the end of the year. Not with supporting the Mod also, something has to give.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25, 07 August 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Dallas

Dallas

Tier 2 Cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4894 posts
  • LocationPost-chernarus

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Here's how it works:

If you've just spent a good chunk of money on a decent gaming rig, there's probably alot of games you want to test out on it. If one of them is DayZ and you've got an extra 20-30 bucks to burn, you buy ArmA2: Combined Operations and install the free mod, knowing you paid $20-30 to play a buggy and hack infested alpha mod. Having said that I don't play on US servers, have never seen a hacker.

Whether you buy ArmA2 or not.

In a couple of months, fall or early winter, the first working build of the DayZ standalone will be released. This will also be buggy and this will require you to buy an alpha game-key to play it. The standalone will come with a major discount, it wont be free, but if you buy in early, you'll probably only have to let go of 9-12 bucks.

Each time the DayZ alpha standalone received a major update, the price will increase and when the DayZ standalone reaches it's final build, the price point will probably be close to 20-30 dollars. However if you bought in early, you'll be able to use your 10 dollar key for the complete 30 dollar game. I know it sounds too good to be true, like a Nigerian game developer, but this is what's known as the Minecraft payment method.

So here's the deal.

DayZ standalone will be released in 2-3 months, but it wont be completed this year, maybe not before next summer. But the price will reflect the level of completion. Cheap in October-November, full price near June-July.

While you're waiting for the DayZ standalone getting completed some time next year, you'll either be able to play the early builds of the standalone, if you buy a key or cantinue to play the free mod for which you bought ArmA2: CO.

Disclaimer: These are only facts in my own imagination, maybe it's close to reality, but the timeline might be a little scewed.

Edited by Dallas, 07 August 2012 - 07:59 PM.

• Bottlerocket, Nucleqrwinter, Grodenn and 1 other gave their beans

It's Better to Have a Can of Sardines and Not Need It, Than to Need a Can of Sardines and Not Have It.

#18 Timmooboy

Timmooboy

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm very positive we will be able to play the Alpha of the standalone this fall/winter.

#19 Itchy

Itchy

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

:facepalm:

#20 geegee

geegee

Woodland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'd literally take a bet that it isn't out before mid 2013, around august.
About a year.

Why would it take such a long time to port the mod over to the upgraded ArmA2 engine that is used in ArmA3? Also doubt that Rocket is working on this alone so that would quicken the porting too, and if they plan on releasing it as a standalone it wouldn't be held back by ArmA3's release dates and such.
  • SausageKingofChicago and Caffeind gave their beans

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DayZ, Standalone, Buy, Now, or, wait?, Ughh, Tough, Descision