Sign in to follow this  
InfectedRamo

So Should I Buy ArmA II: CO for DayZ or should I wait for the standalone?

I heard the awesome news. I'm currently actually in the airport and going back to Canada soon, so I was hoping I would start playing DayZ once I'm back.

Now that there is going to be a standalone, should I just buy ArmA II: CO and play now, or wait? What difference would it make? How long until the standalone comes out?

Nobody can really answer those questions now, except for Rocket. I would say the game is worth buying now,even if you only played for a month.. I expect to see standalone by the end of the year. I have no idea when he'll release an alpha version though, and if that version would be on par with the mod or not. If you want solid fun until standalone releases(whenever that is) I would say buy it.

Also, ARMA II is great fun.

Edited by jordan2412
  • Like 1

lots of cheating going on, probably won't be fixed.

plus war z is supposed to come out soon

I sure hope so. I tried to pre-order it already, but there's no option on their website.

And this WarZ thingy is more like a DayZ for kittens. At least that's the grasp I get from reading about it.

I would still buy both, playing the alpha for two months now. But if you are easily annoyed by hackers/cheaters/bugs/glitches you should wait for it's final release, I guess.

I heard the awesome news. I'm currently actually in the airport and going back to Canada soon, so I was hoping I would start playing DayZ once I'm back.

Now that there is going to be a standalone, should I just buy ArmA II: CO and play now, or wait? What difference would it make? How long until the standalone comes out?

Think about it this way. You can currently get Arma II: CO off the Bohemia site for £20 (and a version linked to steam for the same price). With that, your getting Arma II, Arma II: Operation Arrowhead and DayZ in it's alpha state with constant updates. That effectively 3 games.

If you wait for the stand-a-lone, you'll only get DayZ. Now I doubt it's going to be £20 when they release the first iteration of the stand-a-lone, but you won't be getting Arma II and Arma II: OA. If I were you, i'd get it now and get all 3! Arma II: CO is good in itself, and was actually a nice week or so break from DayZ. Not to mention the amount of mods for arma, and the stuff you can do yourself with the editor and what not.

Alright, I'm gonna buy it then.

DayZ is just too good to pass on by, and yeah, if the standalone will take a couple of months to make, that'd be kinda annoying, especially in the middle of the school year.

I might as well buy it while I'm on vacation. Thanks guys.

One more question, lets say I buy ArmA II CO and my friend buys the DayZ standalone, would we still be able to play together or no? I know, its too early to ask these questions, but I just wanna know.

Alright, I'm gonna buy it then.

DayZ is just too good to pass on by, and yeah, if the standalone will take a couple of months to make, that'd be kinda annoying, especially in the middle of the school year.

I might as well buy it while I'm on vacation. Thanks guys.

One more question, lets say I buy ArmA II CO and my friend buys the DayZ standalone, would we still be able to play together or no? I know, its too early to ask these questions, but I just wanna know.

No. The standalone will have features and resources not available in the mod. Also, there's a good chance it would run on a new engine altogether.

No. The standalone will have features and resources not available in the mod. Also, there's a good chance it would run on a new engine altogether.

Alright, dang, k now I don't know if I should buy ArmA II or not.

Nah nah, I think I'll just buy it and buy the standalone later.

I believe, or at least im thinking, it's going to be on the same engine as the current one. It's Bohemia themselves who are making it with Rocket as the project lead making all the decisions, so im guessing it will be the current engine with some cross over with features from Arma 3 when it comes.

Also the current alpha will be running alongside and getting updates from the standalone. We may have to end up paying a small initial payment at some stage (wouldn't mind donating tbh if current users get it free) which will hopefully cross over. Theres no clear info saying yes or no as to whether you can play with your friends if they get standalone. I imagine they will, otherwise there will be a big split in the community. I'd get Arma II: CO now, then if you like it enough, get a second account using the standalone :) That way you can have one for actually trying to do stuff on, the other for pissing around and not being bothered as to whether or not you get killed.

Edited by Yorkie065