START HERE: A Beginners Guide to DayZ Servers and Administration

I have yet to play on a single Vilayer server that didn't have massive lag or desync for me.

That's what you get when you have a load of servers hosted on the same machine... I prefer paying $40/month for a fully dedicated machine w/ an SSD or a 10k RPM HDD.

Yes, hardware is a very large proponent of how well servers run but don't rule out network congestion. Database connections are fairly robust and are very tolerant of modest latency, but when there's thousands of connections to the database with regular network traffic on top of that, it can get pretty bad.

I host with ViLayer and we will get desync from time to time. It's been getting better, however.

Makes me happy our server has a lower population :)

You can't kick for clanmates? Really....that'll be the day when we PAY for a server that we can't kick to even play on....lol

You can't kick for clanmates? Really....that'll be the day when we PAY for a server that we can't kick to even play on....lol

It's not fair for other people when you kick them so your friends can join.

Those are DayZ rules, and you automatically accept them when you host. Break those rules and your server is blacklisted, simple as that.

You're forgetting that you may pay for the server, but it's not your mod, so you don't get to choose.

Needing some help :( My dedi server (game server) just ain't working. Both ARMA II and ARMA 2OA are pre-installed, I have an instance ID/followed the instruction and installed dayz, did the config files and double checked them inside out upside down. When I starting the batch file from my Arma II OA folder to initiate the server all I get is 'server cannot start on host port 2303'. Been looking for few days now on the web for any info. But no luck.

(My host is new to the dayz mod so he doesnt know whats what)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evil

Very nice ! <3

So few resources indeed needed to scour everywhere for it.

But this is great I am getting an unmanaged server so this is just great !

If he doesnt beat me to it, I will get a list of all the programs that can be used with dayz/arma 2. I will also be sure to have a install guide for it.

If he doesnt beat me to it, I will get a list of all the programs that can be used with dayz/arma 2. I will also be sure to have a install guide for it.

This would be great :) I've been travelling the last few days and haven't had a lot of time to get things sorted out. Just been adding things as I find them!

I'll add it to the OP!

Those are DayZ rules, and you automatically accept them when you host. Break those rules and your server is blacklisted, simple as that.

You're forgetting that you may pay for the server, but it's not your mod, so you don't get to choose.

There is zero logic in your response.....that's like saying I can pay for a car, but I'm not allowed to kick out a complete stranger to drive it. That rule may be there as a 'matter of fact', however, I would bet that it won't ever be enforced. If it is, who would pay for servers? lol

There is zero logic in your response.....that's like saying I can pay for a car, but I'm not allowed to kick out a complete stranger to drive it. That rule may be there as a 'matter of fact', however, I would bet that it won't ever be enforced. If it is, who would pay for servers? lol

Hey guys,

lets keep this on topic please. We're not here to discuss the rules :)

Thanks!

Hi, I just got my server today and It is out of date. I tried updating to no avail and help, on what I am doing wrong?

Hi, I just got my server today and It is out of date. I tried updating to no avail and help, on what I am doing wrong?

Dedicated, or Managed?

Re: invisible trees, rocks, buildings

Editing the .pbo files doesn't just make these things invisible to the client it makes them able to travel and shoot as if they weren't there. That means through trees, through walls, rocks and all the rest.

From http://community.bis...wiki/server.cfg

If you do not include the regularCheck option or set regularCheck=""; it will be activated. Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. (The heavy I/O operation might be stressful for some systems with weak I/O, slow HDD etc., in case You still have these problems post 1.60 release please report to CIT ticket with details https://dev-heaven.n.../cis/issues/new )

To turn this function off, write regularCheck="{}";. It's strongly recommended to NOT DISABLE regularCheck as this will make the server prone to cheating.

Yet the reality is it seems all slot/managed hosts STILL have this disabled outright.

Edited by Sanadorn

You should add the fact that new servers will not work at all and get stuck on "Creating" until whitelisted.

I have a question regarding your "scripts.txt" file provided in the pastebin. I have had the issue of ENORMOUS log files being created within hours, causing the server to lag (out) at times. Have you had any issues like that, with this scripts.txt file? How big does your scripts.log file get every day, on average?

If i can get some confirmation on this, i will try running this script detection on our server.

Thanks

small question, got managed server, and looked into server.cfg and saw that i have

Instance ID 4

digits, does that mean my server is whitelisted? Because I'm getting "This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application. You cannot play on this server. If you are the server Admin please contact DayZ staff." Thanks.

EDIT: Nvm, you have to wait one day and it will work yay.

Edited by Neil/Iljap

• Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)

I am sure this has been mentioned many times but

I just wanted to ask about this part of the rules - I understand why you want to avoid excessive kicking etc.

But I want too know if I purchase a 22 slot server does it have to private? Or if I have it public will it be black listed?

-Edit-

I went searching for Australian server hosting I found Hypernia is hosting a Combined operations. I was wondering is it permitted to host DayZ through them.... Also the highest slot count they supply is 32. Will this be a problem?

Edited by loopa499

I have a question regarding your "scripts.txt" file provided in the pastebin. I have had the issue of ENORMOUS log files being created within hours, causing the server to lag (out) at times. Have you had any issues like that, with this scripts.txt file? How big does your scripts.log file get every day, on average?

If i can get some confirmation on this, i will try running this script detection on our server.

Thanks

Nope, I've not had any problems like that. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

I am sure this has been mentioned many times but

I just wanted to ask about this part of the rules - I understand why you want to avoid excessive kicking etc.

But I want too know if I purchase a 22 slot server does it have to private? Or if I have it public will it be black listed?

-Edit-

I went searching for Australian server hosting I found Hypernia is hosting a Combined operations. I was wondering is it permitted to host DayZ through them.... Also the highest slot count they supply is 32. Will this be a problem?

I don't think AUS is classified as a "developing country" so therefore, I think you'd run into issues should you purchase anything lower than 40 slots.

These rules are quite explicit. I wouldn't take them lightly if you want the chance to host.

Good luck!

Anyone know how long does it take to get Instance ID for dedicated server?

Server specs:

- win server 2008 r2

- 4 cores i7 2.6 - 4.0 GHz

- 6GB ram

- sata3 ssd 128GB

- 100/100Mbit channel

- UA (Ukraine)

- 40 slots

Edited by soltis

Server specs:

- win server 2008 r2

- 6GB ram

- sata3 ssd 128GB

- 100/100Mbit channel

- UA (Ukraine)

- 40 slots

Depends. It can take a few hours to about 9 days

Server specs:

- win server 2008 r2

- 6GB ram

- sata3 ssd 128GB

- 100/100Mbit channel

- UA (Ukraine)

- 40 slots

It can take a few days because there's an extremely high number of requests in at the moment. When did you submit your request?

It can take a few days because there's an extremely high number of requests in at the moment. When did you submit your request?

I've submitted request on 08/08/2012 [GMT+2]. So today is a 4th day.

• Like 1

So i have a not to shabby VDS and seeing the load under 50 slots 60% cpu and 50% RAM.

I decided to up the slot count to 70 confident that it can take more players.

on this trail run where wen the server hit 60 it began to have network issues.

yellow/red chain and drops 10-20 people with to high ping message.

Then it restores itself. So I am guesing it is either a stability issue or networking.( still in the green in resources 70% ish)

But i am on a VDS with a 10 Gbps line with an outgoing 1 Gbps.

Not that that is really available to my VDS but I am just saying this should not be a issue.

If you are an admin of a high slot count server could you advise me on what could be the issue.

Any advice would be welcome. I know there are config files for networking for arma but im not confident enough to touch those.

any help would be appreciated

mine ? took 3 days i send it in about a week ago

PS: does anybody know if making your server permanently day is a no no ?

Edited by DarkEnergy