* dayz_server (server)
* Wednesday 1 August 2012 (GMT)
Confirmed Changelog (WIP):
* [FIXED] Ammunition amounts not loaded in properly (Now records used ammunition correctly)
* [FIXED] Graphical glitches with barbed wire (Rebinarized file should no longer produce graphical artifacts)
* [NEW] Additional optimizations to login process (further use of publicVariableClient to reduce network transmission)
* [FIXED] Respawn button not enabled when legs fractured (Now enables for fractured legs https://dev-heaven.net/issues/39161 )
* [FIXED] Excessive logging of player data in server logs (Disabled https://dev-heaven.net/issues/38784 )
* [FIXED] Graphical glitches with dead bodies (Rebinarized file should no longer produce graphical artifacts)
In Process Changelog (WIP):
* [FIXED] Converting between magazine types resets ammo count (Now only contains previous number of rounds)
This is not a final list.
Only confirmed items are placed on here, and the page is updated each time. Some things are expected to be in the update, but are not in the list yet, because they have not been finished and confirmed in the update.
I just read through five pages, in between the time it took me from the office to home. And that five pages was filled with:
Person1: Wow this is awesome!
Person2: This is the WORST thing that ever happened!
Person3: No, it is awesome and I want to have Rocket's children!
Person4: I hate Rocket! I want you to have his children so I can then murder them!
Please, can people just accept that the Rocket Defense Force (RDF) and the Anti-Rocket Alliance (ARA) are needed for this project to continue. Both sides are required, and can actually coexist.
We need the fanboys and fangirls
If it wasn't for the fanboys and fangirls, I would have quit this mod and sold out months ago. Nobody want's to put up with a crap-ton of abuse all the time. I have become grumpy and cynical enough (ask anyone on the team or who has any sort of relationship to me at all) without having no positive feedback.
We need the haters
Or I will spend all my time working on "cool new stuff" and ignore the bugs, because solving bugs is not fun. It is not exciting. It is not sexy. And it doesn't frontpage on PCGamer, Kotaku, RPS, etc... New features do. So without the haters... this project will die.
So please, for the projects sake. Realize that you all need each other. The only thing "wrong" with this community is that some folks:
1. Think that two different point of views cannot coexist. I generally hold two opposing views at once until I have enough data. That is what Alpha is for! We try something, we consider all sides, we gather data, we try something else. That is the purpose of this whole experiment. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why sometimes people jump on one another simply because they hold a different viewpoint, especially when it concerns features that have not even been implemented yet. It is one thing to put forward an opposing view, it is another to attack them outright.
2. Think that trying something sets a feature in concrete. New things will be tried to either solve bugs, or add new functionality. This is especially true with a mod because it cannot affect the source. Nearly all fixes at this point involve new development because most errors in the mod itself have been worked out, at the basic syntax level, and now it is a question of functionality, max loading, etc... We will try it, if it doesn't work we will roll back.
3. Think everything needs to be fixed now. I've said it will go standalone, that is obvious. It has caused massive sales. But I need concrete stuff, something worth saying, before I come to you and tell you something. I've said it will happen, and this will affect the direction of the mod. There is only so much that can be done in the mod, to the point where diminishing returns apply. Not all bugs can be fixed easily, and many would be much easier (or only possible) in the standalone version directly in source. Yes, this sucks, but that's the nature of the beast and the fact is: the mod is fairly playable in its current state for the vast majority of people.
4. Think the project is dead/dying/gotyay. DayZ is nothing more than an effective message and precursor to something more. The timeframes can be shorter than you think, because of the wealth of data obtained.. .that you guys have provided. As always, follow my advice of maintaining a sense of adventure and a spirit of exploration with the project. If not, you're gonna have a bad time.
5. Think there is something "wrong" with this community. There is nothing wrong, the community here is extremely healthy. Too healthy, you guys all slaughter each side of the "debate" at every opportunity because everyone they think must be right. The fact is, nobody will really know how good an idea is until it has been implemented. So we gather opinions and factors and discuss a bit here on the forums so you can help me to temper the ideas and eliminate the very bad ones. This community is fantastic, and you'd all see that, if people would stop to see that all this emotion and interest is a good thing... if only it could be focused on the project and not on the opposing side.