Sign in to follow this  

You need weapons to kill the zombies to get to the weapons.

I don't understand how this is supposed to work.

I can't find anything to defend myself with; and as such, I am unable to approach areas that house weapons and better-teir supplies. How do you get weapons so you don't spend all your time running and on the defensive?

Imagine this --- You wake up on the coast of a strange and distant land. You don't know where you are. You have nothing on you.... ZOMBIES have taken over...how do you survive?

You sneak. 'Z' and 'X' are your friends...As well as 'SHIFT'..... Be sneaky.

Also - Try going on a lower population server (less than 20/15) in order to have a better chance finding some weapons.

Zombies can't run indoors. If you have a bunch of zombies after you and you're unarmed you can run into a building with 2 exits and loot the stuff and bolt before they catch up to you

• Like 1

You don't need weapons to do anything besides kill animals or players. Everything else in this game can be obtained without ever attacking anything.

If your stealth skills aren't good enough during daytime I suggest you try nighttime, the zombies don't get much Vitamin A in their brainz diet.

Edited by random51

I had the same problem...eventually if you wait around long enough the zombies will wander a good distance from the spawn and you can sneak in and find maybe a gun or a axe. If you find an ax, right click on it in the toolbelt and select "remove from toolbelt". Reload and now you have a one hit zombie killer. Inside you should be able to hit and kill before they can hit you. And as much as people say stay away from Cherno and Elektro...last 3 times ive played, I just said "eff it" and went into cherno and got fully geared in like 20 minutes with ALICE pack, 1911 and 8 mags, 50 rounds for my enfield, and a crossbow with 5 bolts and the essentials. Well I died a few minutes later due to being stupid. STarted again by Elektro...so far im partially geared up. Way more than any of the smaller cities.

Just experiment with it all.

Prone to barn.

Get hatchet.

Reload hatchet.

Shoot zombies with hatchet, because apparently hatchets shoot silenced bullets.

• Like 1

If you look on the right side of the screen, you see an eye and an ear icon with bars beside. More bars = bad, less bars = good. Also you notice holding shift and moving makes you walk, which lowers the ear bars. Crouching or laying down and moving lowers the eye bars...... = good. At 0/0 or 1/0 or 0/1 bars for eyes, ears. You can usually sneak within 15 feet of zombies.

Sneak into buildings, get guns.

Hatchet FTW.

Also, all that trash your probably finding instead of guns (cans, whisky bottles) can be thrown to distract the zeds and draw them away from your target building. Pick some up, press "F" till you see "Throw" up the top right and get chucking.

You can try hard like that or just aggro everything then dc like a lot of players do. Will simply cause all zombies to dissapear.

Thank you all for your responses.

Prone to barn.

Get hatchet.

Reload hatchet.

Shoot zombies with hatchet, because apparently hatchets shoot silenced bullets.

This has been my way so far. I now see that this is not a valid strategy; use of the hatchet results in claw wounds far too often. In addition, Zeds are far too perceptive for the crawl approach to be a smart course of action. Half the time during the long army crawl en route to loot, either a random zombie will notice me as I go on my way, or one will spawn over top of me, and then notice me.

Hatchet FTW.

Also, all that trash your probably finding instead of guns (cans, whisky bottles) can be thrown to distract the zeds and draw them away from your target building. Pick some up, press "F" till you see "Throw" up the top right and get chucking.

Thanks, I didn't know this. How effective is it?

Edited by 170

You can try hard like that or just aggro everything then dc like a lot of players do. Will simply cause all zombies to dissapear.

Yes you can exploit, and why stop there, go find yourself some cheats too!! Then you dont even have to go and get gear, just give it to yourself with the cheat!! Then you can give yourself an Apache with an AI gunner too!!!

what a fail. tell a new player how to exploit.... wish i could take your beans.

what a fail. tell a new player how to exploit.... wish i could take your beans.

I think he was being sarcastic about the quoted poster using an explot to avoid the Z's.

My method to being a fresh spawn with no weapon is check the dayzdb.com map for the nearest barn, run and ignore the Z's until you get inside, should find at least a hatchet, but if not, look up another barn on the map and run to that.. rinse and repeat. Very quick for doing it, never died to bandits this way.

Until the infected get more brains, this method works well.. then when God builds a better mousetrap, hopefully I will be a bigger mouse..

Edited by Frostyvegi

If you're not able to handle being chased by zombies whilst unarmed, you'll need to be sneaky like other people have mentioned. Your best bet would just be to rush to buildings in big towns and try and get your hands on anything you can find.. be that a common rifle, pistol, hatchet, crowbar etc - you don't exactly have much to lose if you have nothing.

I think he was being sarcastic about the quoted poster using an explot to avoid the Z's.

My method to being a fresh spawn with no weapon is check the dayzdb.com map for the nearest barn, run and ignore the Z's until you get inside, should find at least a hatchet, but if not, look up another barn on the map and run to that.. rinse and repeat. Very quick for doing it, never died to bandits this way.

Until the infected get more brains, this method works well.. then when God builds a better mousetrap, hopefully I will be a bigger mouse..

Gotta be careful with those barns. If you go up those stairs and the zeds follow you, you're dead (if you don't have a weapon yet or run out of ammo). Try to jump down? Have fun with that broken leg. The trick is either sneak in, or loot before they corner you, which unfortunately is very easy for them to do in a barn.

In Addition to distracting zeds with tin cans you can kill zeds with 3 hits by cans.

I kinda found this out when I started Day-Z the other day and I was throwing cans at zeds below the ladder I just climbed in cherno.

If you are in prone and you see a zed really close if you stay still they normally won't see you