Sign in to follow this  
Vocc

Computer specs and FPS

Howdy y'all,

Before I purchase ArmA II and ArmA II: OPAH in order to play DayZ I need to know whether or not my computer will be up to running it smoothly. I looked on 'can my computer run it' and, while I meet the minimum requirements (I have a GeForce 310 graphics card) I do not meet the recommended specs. Everything else checks out fine but could an experienced gamer/nerd please tell me what FPS rate I could expect and how well the game would run (I'm fairly happy running on the lowest of settings)? Here are my specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz

3.1 GB of RAM

Windows XP Professional

GeForce 310 Graphics Card with 1GB of dedicated RAM

A speedy response would be greatly appreciated,

Vocc

expect 20fps at best. you put all the specs but resolution. Im assuming 1080 and everything is disabled while textures are @normal expect 20fps @1080p. if your native res is something like 1280x720 then you may expect something like 30-40 fps max.

expect 20fps at best. you put all the specs but resolution. Im assuming 1080 and everything is disabled while textures are @normal expect 20fps @1080p. if your native res is something like 1280x720 then you may expect something like 30-40 fps max.

I see, and what is the average FPS most people I come across are running on? My res is 1080 yes although couldn't I just drop the settings lower meaning I achieve a higher FPS? I'm looking to be able to play a smooth game, it's not fun if everything is just jumping around.

Edited by Vocc

I see, and what is the average FPS most people I come across are running on? My res is 1080 yes although couldn't I just drop the settings lower meaning I achieve a higher FPS? I'm looking to be able to play a smooth game, it's not fun if everything is just jumping around.

this mod doesnt scale well even at top of the line hardware. fps depends on server conditions mostly. I get solid fps while playing arma II oa with highest but things change for everyone while playing dayZ. one of the reason for this is you cant controll scene complexity. in dayz map there are some stuff that you cant disable like grass or some foliage. even with lowest vid settings, some stuff wont be disabled (to keep environment equal for everybody).

I have i52500k, hd5850 heavily overclocked, 8gb ram and everything at high Im getting 50 fps max, 40 average. average doesnt change even If I put everything @low on vid options. so average fps for dayz is 45. no one is getting solid 60fps even with gtx 680.

• Like 1

this mod doesnt scale well even at top of the line hardware. fps depends on server conditions mostly. I get solid fps while playing arma II oa with highest but things change for everyone while playing dayZ. one of the reason for this is you cant controll scene complexity. in dayz map there are some stuff that you cant disable like grass or some foliage. even with lowest vid settings, some stuff wont be disabled (to keep environment equal for everybody).

I have i52500k, hd5850 heavily overclocked, 8gb ram and everything at high Im getting 50 fps max, 40 average. average doesnt change even If I put everything @low on vid options. so average fps for dayz is 45. no one is getting solid 60fps even with gtx 680.

I see, so the best I could hope for is pushing an average of what, 20 - 30? 30 is doable, as long as I'm on an even playing field as everyone else.

I have a i72600k and hd6790, I sit quite happily at 50-70 frames, except for in electro or cherno at night time, i may drop as low as 30.

If i put everything low i start hitting 80+

cpu clocked to 5ghz and gpu is stock.

• Like 1

I got dual core 2140 overclocked to 3.0GHz and 8800GT that I overclocked to 700Mhz core and 2000 Mhz mem,shaders are round 1800 something,with 2GB DDR2 RAM I get like 25-30 FPS with everything on lowest setting except AA and AF that is maxed out,because it's impossible to differ anything in distance because everything is so jagged without AA (I got no Arma2 so I tested on Arma : Free ),

• Like 1

To be honest, don't expect much. I believe I have a problem when it comes to my cpu usage because I'm getting 15-30 FPS max (haven't even tried going inside a city after applying I don't know how many changes). I play at 1440x900, all max except vis. (500), object/terrain detail (very low but those 3 are server-controlled unfortunately). Getting all settings except or with shadows at very high will only make me get a 3-5 fps increase.

BTW, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE stock (3.2GHz), 4GB RAM, an XFX 6850 BE @ 875/1100 and I'm using RAMDisk for all the DayZ files (it's not a lot, I can't get the whole game in with only 4GB of RAM).

If you don't mind waiting, I'd say hold on for a bit longer. If not, try getting ArmA 2 free to see how that initially runs for you. If it's average or pretty crappy, then don't buy it for now.

Those are my (pretty long) 2 cents.

• Like 1

I have a i72600k and hd6790, I sit quite happily at 50-70 frames, except for in electro or cherno at night time, i may drop as low as 30.

If i put everything low i start hitting 80+

cpu clocked to 5ghz and gpu is stock.

yeah man you know If I disable vertical sync sometimes I hit those frame rates too but minimum is always the same. My cpu is clocked to stock 3.3ghz as I see no improvement in any game. you hit 30 with that monster cpu, I hit 30 too. some other player hits 30 too with some dualcore.. min fps is the most important and at some scenes theres no way to improve that minimums.. but I just installed 1.62 official (nonbeta)

fps seems solid man. I hit 60 for the first time - vehicles and players around :D

I got dual core 2140 overclocked to 3.0GHz and 8800GT that I overclocked to 700Mhz core and 2000 Mhz mem,shaders are round 1800 something,with 2GB DDR2 RAM I get like 25-30 FPS with everything on lowest setting except AA and AF that is maxed out,because it's impossible to differ anything in distance because everything is so jagged without AA (I got no Arma2 so I tested on Arma : Free ),

If you like AA make sure to set AtoC=0 from your arma2oa.cfg. this should boost your fps.

• Like 1

To be honest, don't expect much. I believe I have a problem when it comes to my cpu usage because I'm getting 15-30 FPS max (haven't even tried going inside a city after applying I don't know how many changes). I play at 1440x900, all max except vis. (500), object/terrain detail (very low but those 3 are server-controlled unfortunately). Getting all settings except or with shadows at very high will only make me get a 3-5 fps increase.

BTW, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE stock (3.2GHz), 4GB RAM, an XFX 6850 BE @ 875/1100 and I'm using RAMDisk for all the DayZ files (it's not a lot, I can't get the whole game in with only 4GB of RAM).

If you don't mind waiting, I'd say hold on for a bit longer. If not, try getting ArmA 2 free to see how that initially runs for you. If it's average or pretty crappy, then don't buy it for now.

Thanks a lot for the advice - I'll go download it now :)

On a side note too, I just downloaded and have been playing ArmA: Free. On 'high' settings it runs terribley with a really low FPS and slow response. However it runs smoothly on Very Low with a decent response time. Will this however make a difference on DayZ? Because some one mentioned before, all server settings are the same (textures and grass etc).

On a side note too, I just downloaded and have been playing ArmA: Free. On 'high' settings it runs terribley with a really low FPS and slow response. However it runs smoothly on Very Low with a decent response time. Will this however make a difference on DayZ? Because some one mentioned before, all server settings are the same (textures and grass etc).

Sorry for the late answer! Well, what are your FPS? Can you give us an average, or if you have the benchmarks, can you run them?

The thing is, in DayZ you'll get messed up coding (I think) so it stresses your hardware (mainly CPU) even more. That added to MANDATORY settings in each server (usually NORMAL terrain/object detail + visibility at 1500 which is why I get so low FPS) brings down your FPS more than regular ArmA 2. If you run "Meh"-like then I'd advise you not to buy the game for now.

Oh and the Free version has reduced textures in some occasions I believe. I think those would increase GPU stress (though not much) when you purchase the game.

meh, dont waste your money. Arma 2 has the most unoptimized engine, imo, ever.. Tried to run on i5 15.6" laptop with gt540m vga, got only 15 to 20fps

Edited by Adenauer

I play on 5-20 fps, mostly 5-10 and i cant fix it -.-

How are you guys actually viewing the reported frame rate? Where do you see this figure? Does fps display need to be enabled somewhere?

I'm not interested in fps rates given by people "just eyeballing it". I want to see what the engine is actually reporting. How?

Hey there! We have about the same processors, but big difference in video cards.

I have:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8 ghz

Geforce GTX 550 Ti

4 Gigs of Ram

I run 1600-900 with about 30-45 fps.

I used to get about 15-20 fps because I was putting my settings way down low. I discovered that Arma 2 will shift the load to the CPU, which was where my bottle neck was to begin with. All my attempts to fix it was just actually making it worse.

I have to run all my settings on high to get good FPS. I know weird right?

I still have Antialiasing and Anisotropic settings disabled. With the new FX and the other new setting, I forget the name, enabled, the quality loss isn't even noticeable to me.

So if updating your motherboard and everything is out of the question, then you will need to update your GPU. I really wouldn't even bother until you at least update the GPU. You will just get pissed off at the slow downs and be at a mild disadvantage against players who don't have that problem.

Edited by Flurf

How are you guys actually viewing the reported frame rate? Where do you see this figure? Does fps display need to be enabled somewhere?

I'm not interested in fps rates given by people "just eyeballing it". I want to see what the engine is actually reporting. How?

Fraps