Sign in to follow this  
Chalkie

Cigarettes!

I don't know about you, but if I was running around the wilderness being chased by zombies I would love a cigarette.

It could help to calm nerves instead of "painkillers".

Yes it is may seem a little redundant, but it should be included for completeness sake. In the event of a zombie apocalypse we all know they would be a very sort after luxury

Besides...I just want to take a screenshot of my character mowing down a group of zombies with a dart in his mouth..

• Like 13

I can see an addiction to cigarettes in-game to be quite interesting, use cigarettes as currency. Why not?. I'll support this!

• Like 3

Smoking doesn't calm your nerves, it relieves stress from the symptoms of the addiction.

Also, the cons far outweigh any gains from smoking. If it were introduced, no one would use it outside of roleplayers, and even then those would be few in number. If you can't guess at the potential negative effects of smoking, then I'm sorry.

• Like 6

Smoking doesn't calm your nerves, it relieves stress from the symptoms of the addiction.

Beans for you. "smoking calms your nerves" is utter rubbish.

Aknowledged. This was obviously written from a theoretical smoker's point of view.

For a smoker, i repeat for a smoker, a cigarette does relieve stress. The fact that this occurs as a result of a relief from the symptoms of addiction is irrelevant - the outcome is still the same.

As mentioned could be fun to look at how the mechanics could work with addiction etc.

Also, we are all forgetting that cigarettes help you see better in the dark.

Like carrots.

Now this is 100% undisputed.

• Like 4

I do love the idea of cigarettes as currency... and the idea of sniping at a red glow in the night.

Other than that I have been both a smoker and a non smoker and I'm not sure if smoking has any "bonus" advantages, it would have to be a legitimately fictional and gamey effect like "reduce hunger rate for a minute" or something.

• Like 1

cigarettes as currency is an awesome idea. only the rich actually smoke them!

• Like 1

Let's make this idea more realistic:

-Non smoker are fine and don't need them, wouldn't even pay for cigarettes.

-Smokers need them to feel right. Smokers run slower and and feel bad after eating/drinking if they can't smoke.

Feels right to me

• Like 1

it would be awesome! but how long should they last? and how many should there be in a package? and what about addiction? would you get, like, hallocinizations? (sorry for bad english, im a dane)

I like this idea and this is my take on flushing it out:

- Cigarettes can decrease shaking just like Painkillers due but for less time and you can become addicted.

- Cigarettes are made just as common as Painkillers are now; Painkillers spawn-chance reduced by W% (75?) for balance reasons (as right now you cannot become addicted to Painkillers, more below)

- Cigarettes have multiple uses and are indicated so just like ammo is now (10 uses? I don't know how many cigarettes in a pack now vs. how to balance for gameplay)

- Cigarettes require matches, so maybe up the spawn-chance for matches to utilize cigarettes but reduce the spwan-chance for say knives so cooking animal meat can be just as difficult (item-wise) as it is now

- Cigarettes cause addiction if X-number (2?) are smokes. This causes shaking to occure more frequently and outside of getting hurt. This will continue until the person smokes another cigarette or Y-number of minutes (15?) at which point they are "cured" from the addiction.

- Cigarettes have a Z% (5?) chance to make you cough, alerting nearby zombies and players.

All numbers and percentages are made up by me and would of course have to be tested in-game to determine their use and effectiveness.

• Like 1

As a past smoker, I can assure you that shaking from not having a cigarette is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hate how anti-smoking campaigns have mutilated the idea of smoking and its effects on the human body.

-Smoking does not cause you to cough as much as you think.

-Not having a cigarette has never caused me to shake, or withdraw or have any medical symptoms what so ever.

-I quit as easily as I started. Why? Because of self control and just feeling bored with smoking. I was done so I stopped.

Now on-topic.

Cigarettes should have both beneficial and detrimental effects on a user. I.E. have to slow move while smoking, smoke 'signals', zombie interest. Benefits are decreased screen shaking, steady sights and binocs, and suppressed hunger.

• Like 3

As a past smoker, I can assure you that shaking from not having a cigarette is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hate how anti-smoking campaigns have mutilated the idea of smoking and its effects on the human body.

-Smoking does not cause you to cough as much as you think.

-Not having a cigarette has never caused me to shake, or withdraw or have any medical symptoms what so ever.

-I quit as easily as I started. Why? Because of self control and just feeling bored with smoking. I was done so I stopped.

Now on-topic.

Cigarettes should have both beneficial and detrimental effects on a user. I.E. have to slow move while smoking, smoke 'signals', zombie interest. Benefits are decreased screen shaking, steady sights and binocs, and suppressed hunger.

My sister has been smoking since she was 12. She literally can't go 4 hours without a smoke. She goes through 2 packs a day.

One of my friends, and next door neighbor is 20. He has tried to quit many times, but smoking since he was 14 has let it sink the hooks in.

My parents smoked, my mother is dead now. My Dad still smokes. They both tried to quit many times.

I have brothers that are smokers, and other relatives. I live in an area that has a MAJORITY of smokers. I can tell you, compared to nonsmokers, they cough A LOT more. They have a smell about them, and you can easily tell where they have been due to the smell of burned cigs. Your account says you are 19, so I'm basing this on that information. When did you start? How many did you usually smoke a day? Many people are in denial about their addiction, and going even short periods of time cause them to become very aggitated and can even cause them to roll through temper issues like the tide. As a kid, I watched these symptoms rear their heads over and over, and when offered the chance to smoke I turned it down. There was literally 1 reason to smoke. Society. Social groups form around cigs. I'm not going to go into that, as this is not the place.

But at 19, I doubt you smoked for very long, and in real life the effects of smoking are not instant. They come with time, and although you can quit early and not experience a majority of them (or any) many don't quit soon enough.

To be blunt, your youth probably allowed you to quit easily. The body adapts to changes at younger ages, and heals most damages caused. But those that smoked for decades are easily attached to smoking like others are to eating. It is something they couldn't imagine giving up, to the point that it is a defining part of their character. A major weakness. Smoking is a flaw people choose, and I for one see it for what it is.

Edited by Zeromentor
  • Like 1

Zeromentor I think because of your situation with your sister you have taken this suggestion a little seriously. While I sympathise with her addiction lets firstly establish that she can in fact go 4 hours without a smoke....sorry it's a pet hate of mine when people throw the word literally around but don't actually use it correctly (eg the way you have used it suggests you sister "literally" can not go 4 hours without one, as in she will literally die/cease to exist if she doesn't have one). But I get your point. I would just like to add that I have been smoking for around 8 years now and have managed to keep it to one pack a week. Consistently. Personally I believe it can be moderated however I am not discounting the health effects this will have on me.

Now back to the issue. My main point is that the way I see it the developers really want to make this mod as realistic as possible...let's face it, that's why we all love it so much. Cigarettes should be included simply because the absence of them would go against the realism of the game and they really would be a viable currency item due to their popularity.

I would like to add (now this will be controversial) that those who become addicted to cigarettes gain a small hunger bonus as cigarettes can surpress appetite. Yes I am going a little far with this, but there needs to be a payoff for smoking in the game.

The other suggestions on the mechanics by people are awesome. Remember that in a zombie populated, post apocalyptic world there would be very few luxuries left to enjoy.

Sorry EighthDay just read your post and saw you mentioned suppressed appetite

Could add it yes, but it should only help on short terms. if you often use cigarettes, your health should go downwards your stamina as well. You shouldn't be able to run for longer periods of time because you're a smoker and there should be a 82 percent chance of achieving lung cancer.

Other than that adding cigarettes to a game like this just asks for smoker encouragement. The only pro is that if it would get added, you can kill all smokers legally.

Edited by The Alphabeat.

Yeah... Lets add Pot... After a long day of searching and running from zombies, a nice buzz from a joint would relax the hell outa me... lol

Just because it doesn't have a real significant purpose doesn't mean it shouldn't be added so many things in real life are unnecessary like electric pencil sharpners.

But we have them

Rather than overlapping with painkillers, why dont you have it that it stabilises your aim from running? At the expense of having to light up and producing smoke?

• Like 1

i think this is a good thread but they aren't really needed in game..just smoke a real one ,stopping your char online ,and it will be the same thing