-MadTommy

Loot map.... Do you think its more fun with or without it?

I've been using a loot map... i generally have it on my laptop beside me. It certainly helps find the loot you need when you are inexperienced. Now i generally know what kind of loot spawns in what kind of building I'm beginning to think it might be somewhat destroying the designed game experience.

I find myself running from loot spot to loot spot... without having to really engage my brain.. i'm thinking this is degrading the challenge of the game.

What do you think... is it more fun using a loot map or not?

I'm not asking whether it is right or not, but which do you think is more fun.

Its good for starting out, but then you learn which buildings are worth looting and which to skip past. I also use it from time to time if i ever get lost or turned around.

For the most part i try not to use it though, i would rather rely on the in-game map. I like the immersion aspect of needing to find a map and compass to figure out where you're going.

At first. Yes. But eventually you figure out which buildings are which and which ones have loot.

It doesn't matter in the long run.

For new players to learn what buildings are worth looting and what are not.

Otherwise, the in game map is perfectly fine, and all you need really.

I newer used lootmap for DayZ. Only ingame maps and finding out about stuff by my self.

Playing alone lonewolf already second month

Edited by evkol001
  • Like 1

More fun with it. Otherwise you're just crawling about with no idea where any loot is.

Thats why there is ingame map to find... which you can find pretty much in any village.

edit: ah you ment places with high weld? well thats actually close to cheating. Its like playing any game wile looking on internet where all secrets are instead of find them legit.

I would even teorize that you get borred much faster of the game you playing this way.

I like to keep things interesting

Edited by evkol001

I find the game is more fun and immersive without it . Why? Because it is more unpredictable and I dont walk around just trying to find loot...

My idea of fun is not to spend countless hours trying to find a mere AKM. Although I don't need the loot map anymore (me and my group don't have to farm loot anymore), I think that it improved my experience with the game drastically when I started using it.

For starting out id say its pretty much essential unless you like to struggle more than the average joe. After a week or even less you learn where everything is and gearing up is a breeze.

Knowledge of the map is good knowledge.

Edited by Lunasnino

Only reason to use it is to check up all deerstand locations and even most of those do I know out of the top of my head.

It's great to use when you start out new with the game but it quickly becomes useless.

I used it when i first started playing but after a while you soon know what buildings are lootable and which aren't.

Use it until you don't need it :)

I wish I knew about loot maps when I first started playing. I spent an entire day at the countryside trying to find enterable buildings and other places with no purpose.

It is more fun using the loot map. I tryed without at the beginning, and that's just frustrating to realise that 90% of all buildings are closed and without anything.

I have used loot map a LOT, to "optimize" my raid, but now i prefer the IG map more immersive, more surprise.

Crossing a forest and see an unexpected deer-stand...

Surviving is quite easy after a little learning time, we don't need to make it easier with a loot map ;)

Way less fun with it but if you don't use it your handicapping yourself. It kills all need to explore.

Loot should be a far more random with small chances for any building to spawn good loot. All buildings should also be enterable. If it's not it shouldn't be on the map.

I've started without loot map, it took several days to memorise what buildings are enter able, where hospitals are, where general stores, etc. But it was fun finding military camp in berezino, since I was surprised. I did checked loot tables later, but found nothing new. IMO loot maps kill some important part of the game - exploration, in-game map is ok.

I'd say more fun without, but to be honest it doesn't really take that long to get a feel for where everything is located and where to go to find what you want. With a loot map, it seems people get bored of the mod sooner than without, but I'd chalk that up to them spending far less time exploring. In the same vein, many might quit because they couldn't find anything and get bored with the lower tier equipment.

But being lost WITH friends can sometimes be an enjoyable experience.

Personally I've only used one twice, once to see where the best buildings for loot where located in the NWAF and secondly when I was dying of hunger and needed to find some food.

I wish Rocket would make the loot areas more varied, Chernarus feels so small now that everyone just goes to the Airfields, Stary Sobor, Berezino, Cherno and Elektro. Having loot maps available really hasn't helped that...

Edited by Duckman404

I Alt Tab to get to mine, which runs the risk of dying. I think it's a fair trade off.

I prefer using the Steam overlay, with shift+tab, if I have to use a map.

I'll admit, having the location of deer stands available is very useful...

I prefer no map.... having said that, my buddy and I used an external map just so meeting up would be possible when we first started, but we're are pretty good at that without the map now. Loot maps, IMO, are just shy of cheating. Randomize loot probabilities and it wouldn't be useful. Personally, I enjoy wandering through the wilderness and running into a city or a heli, or a deerstand by accident. Just some thoughts.

• Like 1