rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

I am curious though about how severe the punishment will be for frequent loggings. :) A player that uses the exploit probably will think it is worth not being able to play for 30 minutes to save his gear and log out from combat anyway. It's a pretty difficult mechanic, I am not jealous on the people that have to figure out how to make it work. :)

• Like 1

i don't see how this is gonna help against people that alt-f4. yes it does give you a timeout after a while, but it's not like a player alt-f4's every 10 minutes.

Each time they login and logout of a server, it will be logged. Once we ensure we are not catching false-positives, we will start issuing warnings to players and allow them to check their reputation on the website with the central server. Those that continue to conduct the behavior, will receive database bans.

• Like 12

Any mention about Zed being able to spot through items such as blockades, cars or even walls when you got max visibility?

Edited by pod

I am curious though about how severe the punishment will be for frequent loggings. :) A player that uses the exploit probably will think it is worth not being able to play for 30 minutes to save his gear and log out from combat anyway. It's a pretty difficult mechanic, I am not jealous on the people that have to figure out how to make it work. :)

Poor "hive reputation", which will come to include many factors - including alt-f4 behavior, will result in a database ban. This means your playerID will not be accepted on DayZ servers, and you cannot play DayZ.

• Like 24

Each time they login and logout of a server, it will be logged. Once we ensure we are not catching false-positives, we will start issuing warnings to players and allow them to check their reputation on the website with the central server. Those that continue to conduct the behavior, will receive database bans.

This is fan-fucking-tastic.

Not making it impossible, but making people not want to do it.

Thanks, this was good news.

• Like 1

May I suggest an addition to the tracking of login/logout?

I realized that I sometimes hop between servers just at the start, as I try to find a good server (mostly looking for a server without fps issues).

Assuming that isn't abusive somehow, would it be reasonable to exclude logins/logouts that occur after not having played for several hours? It could also be dependant on whether or not certain actions were made during the brief period of play, such as shooting a gun or aggroing zombies. That is: so long as you haven't done such actions, haven't played for several hours prior to a string of quick logins/logouts, there will be no punishment.

But maybe this would have found it's way into the algorithm anyway through the analysis of collected behavior data.

• Like 8

Sounds really good, it is just sad to see players avoiding any form of contact with zombies/players. It's easier to d/c and look for another server.

Excuse me if I'm repeating any unappealing/frequently asked questions, but is there an ETA on the choppers and when they are going to be back in-game?

This is fan-fucking-tastic.

Not making it impossible, but making people not want to do it.

Thanks, this was good news.

Yeah, it isn't going to stop players from doing it in the short term but it's certainly a good deterant.

The approach we're taking is to look at a players previous data when they are authenticated. If the server see's clear evidence that a player has been doing things that they are not allowed to do (such as large quantities of ALT+F4, hacked weapons, teleporting, spawning, or anything like that...) then it will either warn the player of their status, or prevent them from being authenticated.

We need to add a new feature to the site that allows the player to review their personal data, so that they can check their Hive reputation, and ask for a manual review where they consider something is in error.

• Like 22

Rocket, ever thought about this one?:

Log-out timers, I know they didn't work in the past, people used it to duplicate items. But what about you won't be able to log out when in shock or when you are bleeding. If you alt f4, your character will be stuck logged in untill either blood or shock dissapears. People could use this to then steal items from the guy and wait for them to log back in, so it's duplicated.

Now I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that no one will be able to acces the guy's backpack or do anything to the player until they are actually killed/dead? (or logged back in, obviously). I think this wouldn't be a bad idea, if it was possible atleast. I don't see how people are still gonna duplicate stuff like this.

Edited by remkoe
  • Like 3

Any way to track things alongside Disconnects like the pass-out mechanic that is implemented, or players in proximity. A lot of times when my graphics get bugged out, I abort and come back in. Just curious how this'll work for people like me who like to reinitialize their graphics in order to keep playing smoothly.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on the * [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4) part?

What will it actually do?

I assume that when you exit the game by pressing "Abort", the client sends the server some sort of logout request.

If you Alt-F4, the server doesn't receive this message, therefore, your character will probably stay logged in until the server realises it's getting no data from you.

Question- my Internet provider had been shutting off and on lately as I've been playing. This has caused me to reconnect to the same server many times that my buddies are in (sometimes the net even went down during loading screen.)

Would this flag the admins as if I were a server hopper?

The only reason I keep joining on the days it keeps going down is because I have the free time abd really want to play.

Am I going to have to stay offline when my Internet decides to go to the shitter in fear of being banned/given bad rep?

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 11

I am experimenting with adding back the 5 second "alive in world" mechanic that we had before. This should also be there, in addition to the tracking of login/logout.

• Like 22

The approach we're taking is to look at a players previous data when they are authenticated. If the server see's clear evidence that a player has been doing things that they are not allowed to do (such as large quantities of ALT+F4, hacked weapons, teleporting, spawning, or anything like that...) then it will either warn the player of their status, or prevent them from being authenticated.

We need to add a new feature to the site that allows the player to review their personal data, so that they can check their Hive reputation, and ask for a manual review where they consider something is in error.

When you said "Hive-Reputation" will that be connected to the Leaderboards and Profiles on the webpage so that exploiters will be marked as... well, exploiters on this website?

• Like 2

Also I would like to add is perhaps if you could track player locations at log out as well. People who farm don't tend to move far from their location. So players who re-log multiple times in a short period who don't even move 200 meters from their initial location are flagged more.

You could also allow admins to see flagged players in their servers.

Edited by Ammo
  • Like 1

Question- my Internet provider had been shutting off and on lately as I've been playing. This has caused me to reconnect to the same server many times that my buddies are in (sometimes the net even went down during loading screen.)

Would this flag the admins as if I were a server hopper?

The only reason I keep joining on the days it keeps going down if because I have the free time abd really want to play.

Am I going to have to stay offline when my Internet decides to go to the shitter in fear of being banned/given bad rep?

It would start too, and it would warn you. What we have found from previous data sweeps is that if someone is conducting one "anti-social" mechanic, they are tending to do others. I'm designing some algorithms that will hopefully reduce the number of false-positives. There will be some, therefore we will need to implement a way for players to check their status online, so they can raise tickets for a manual review. This is going to take some time, but in the meantime - 5 second alive after disconnect + cooldowns on multiple logins should have some effect.

• Like 14

I am experimenting with adding back the 5 second "alive in world" mechanic that we had before. This should also be there, in addition to the tracking of login/logout.

In most of the annoying cases of ALT+F4 I have seen, the simplest mechanic i can think of would be to impement a shock satus as soon as a character was shot, this would result in the player being unconious for a decent lenght of time on respawn and would probably mean they bled out.

But I am no programmer, and appretiate the effort it must take to even implement the changes you have.

• Like 7

What is the reason to not let players respawn until they reached a place they like to start at?

I do it all the time if I die so I can play with my friends. What is the point when they are in Cherno and I spawn in Solnichny? I would have to walk down all the way, which would consume a lot of time.

This is not fun. Realism okay, but mechanics that prevent fun? Do you really think that this is the best approach?

Edited by Takas
  • Like 8

When you said "Hive-Reputation" will that be connected to the Leaderboards and Profiles on the webpage so that exploiters will be marked as... well, exploiters on this website?

That is the aim, that hive-reputation, once implemented, will be a public indicator of automated review at the database level.

• Like 3

can you also fix the not spawning clothing and put some new clothing skins like the bandit skin into the build?

• Like 2

What is the reason to not let players respawn until they reached a place they like to start at?

I do it all the time if I day so I can play with my friends. What is the point when they are in Cherno and I spawn in Solnichny? I would have to walk down all the way, which would consume a lot of time.

This is not fun. Realism okay, but mechanics that prevent fun? Do you really think that this is the best approach?

Each character that is created fills the database, and takes up server load. I would be more inclined to allow you to select a spawn area, rather than die-live-die-live. I haven't considered allowing spawn selections, this type of issue will be dealt with as part of thoughts around group player mechanics and the establishment of factions/groups.

• Like 32

That seems like a terrible fix for it.

If you could make it so players who alt+F4 left an ingame message. Like "Player X has force quit" or something like that. Then, if you could make a site/tool that players can then enter that players name and it will check to see if they do it constantly. It would allow you to punish those that alt/f4 while not punishing those that simply log.

I play with a group of people, some servers work for me but not for others and vice versa. We constantly have to hop servers to find one we can all play on, one that doesn't desync constantly for us and has decent loading itmes. Will this system you're currently planning effect us? How can it differentiate between aborting and alt+f4ing. How can it differentiate between players who log out to take a bathroom break, or go to the kitchen/take care of personal business and then log back in.

• Like 16