c.chris.perry@gmail.com

Request: Allow Bans for Death Dodgers

Walloftextthatneednotbequoted

Shouldn't you be able to give unregistered users the capability of creating passworded temporary channels? Wouldn't that solve your problem of TS ghosting?

Walloftextthatneednotbequoted

Shouldn't you be able to give unregistered users the capability of creating passworded temporary channels? Wouldn't that solve your problem of TS ghosting?

Not without giving them blanket access to create Temp channels anywhere in the server, due to TS's permissions hierarchy making it an all-or-nothing proposition. Also not an acceptable solution.

There is the option of channel group assignment to permit child channels of certain specific channels but this runs into channel depth conflict, max channel conflicts, and may require admin intervention anyway, making it a non-solution.

Edit: There's also the undeniable reality of user ignorance. Using myself as a baseline, every user who connects has the right to the level of security I enjoy. Teaching the users how to effectively use TeamSpeak through channel descriptions is a non-starter and far less efficient compared to a TOS (Compare: "DO NOT COMMIT STALKING ON MY PRIVATE SERVER" hand-written in two languages and machine translated into another five with "Click this, now find this, then type this, then go back and message people on TS (not in game if you don't want people to know your pass!) then blah blah blah" hand translated into two languages and machine translated into five).

It's inefficient compared to the other solution. Any solution less efficient than any other solution is not a solution.

Not to piss on your fire here Mojo... but yesterday in another thread you posted this to someone not happy with the rules...;)

Yesterday, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 07:04 PM by Mojo.)

It's that simple. If you as a server host want continued access to DayZ SQL servers and DayZ updates, you will abide by the contract that will give you access to that. If you don't like that contract, you don't get to keep all the perks with none of the downsides. You sever the agreement, and with the cons so go the pros.

I am fully aware you are just explaining your actions and reasons why you have decided to quit being involved with hosting, and its admirable you are man enough to say ok I dont like the rules so i will resign, which is a shame, the community needs people willing to help out who have a passion for ArmA. But...when all you get from many people are "The Rules" thrown in your face, when you have what you feel is a rule that is just unfair...i find it hard to be sympathetic when those same people come up against the "Immovable Mountain" that is "The Rules"

Not to piss on your fire here Mojo... but yesterday in another thread you posted this to someone not happy with the rules...;)

And I consequently stopped hosting. I mean' date=' you know this.

It [i']really is that simple. See how I didn't try to negotiate? I just accepted their decision on the rules, explained why those rules were unsuitable for me, and consequently decided representing the brand through hosting was no longer suitable for me and something I wished to pursue.

People who don't like the language rules are completely free to do the same. The language rules never bothered me (in fact before any "official" rules came through I had a long-standing identical rule) and consequently never motivated me to quit.

I really don't see the problem or contradiction here.

I am not being contradictory, i am just saying i find it hard to be sympathetic, although i fully understand where you are coming from....So why don't you just ride out the storm for now, same as i have had to with the cyrilic keyboard spammers, until Rocket and the rest of the DayZ staff get time to sort out a better and fairer way to play the game for everyone....We all know Rocket and the DayZ guys are under pressure at the moment, I am sure when they have time to reflect, they will at some point realise some things they have in place just dont promote good or fair play.

Just caught someone named Miro death dodging on our server, a group of us spotted him but he only spotted one of us and started changing from pistol to main weapon to shoot, One of our group shot and wounded him then we all ran over to where he was laying bleeding and he suddenly disconnects... ive heard others say it happens on lots of servers, but its the first time i've actually saw some one do it and have 4 others see him as well....He is not welcome to play and we intend kicking him from our server if he tries to join again. At the moment we wont ban him, until we get confirmation to ban cheaters but IMO there's no room in the ArmA community for cheaters

This whole situation could be alleviated by allowing server-specific databases, locally hosted on the machines for those servers. It would allow hosts to run their servers as they see fit, it would alleviate stress on the master server, and it would be less work for the DayZ development team because they would not have to maintain the master server, enforce blanketing rules amongst their hosts, etc.

All of that aside, it further promotes regular play on favorite servers, developing server-specific communities rather than a transient player base. It would vastly improve connection and load times for players, effectively addressing the "why am I waiting for server response" pissing & moaning. The only downside is that you couldn't swap between servers on a whim and keep all of your stuff, but that's not to say you couldn't swap between servers at all. Hosts that provide more than one server (such as Mojo's Chicago 1 and Chicago 20) would most likely have a single database that is shared between both server instances.

Or you could go to a cloud system and allow servers to operate independently if they desire. All of this Nazi force-feeding rule bullshit is driving out the providers, which limits access for the players. Best way to kill your player base? Remove their access.

[Edit]

If that's not going to happen, then something needs to be done at the administrative level regarding these "rules" and server blacklisting. First and foremost it needs to be made clear that banning an individual from a single game server does not serve as a deterrent or a defense of database integrity. Because of the large volume of servers and the persistent, transient nature of characters, it is entirely possible for a rogue player to lower the quality of play on a specific server, be removed from it, and carry on their activities on a different server. There is no way for a single server admin to deny overall access to the mod at the server level, which means their individual actions in the grand scheme of things are largely inconsequential.

Therefore, it seems to me that the rules provided (only ban for racism/abuse/hacking etc.) should only be considered as a minimum rule set required on all servers as a means to maintain quality of play that is consistent across all providers. Server providers that wish to go above and beyond this set of expectations should not be penalized for their actions, because their actions are inconsequential to the player base as a whole. It makes no difference if I am banned from one server, because I can go to any of the other 200+ servers and have essentially the same access & experience. If one server wants me to play a specific way and I don't agree with their expectations, I'm free to go somewhere else that fits my preference. Being banned from one server does not significantly affect my options. It's incredibly unlikely that all servers would ban me for something or another, unless I am an actively disruptive element on their server (in which case I deserve it).

There is no reason for servers to be limited in their options for maintaining a standard of quality of play so long as it does not go beneath the minimum expectations of the master server provider, whose primary goal should be first and foremost to maintain database integrity, as this is critical for maintaining quality of play amongst the player base. Any action a server admin takes on his server does not affect database integrity unless it is permitting exploitation, hacking, or cheating, which no-one here is advocating.

I like the cloud system idea. Its like 200 servers out there now which all share the same database what is realy cool in terms of flexibility. Your fav server is down? No problem 199 others waiting for you, just with the downside of not having your tents and vehicles but still abled to serve you some hours of cool gameplay. But be realistic. How many of those 200 servers do you ever play on? At the beginning I tested many servers but after getting rid of the "newb status" I had a hand full of servers I played on till they got screwed or went down or something. Especially when playing in a group you stick to one or maybe two servers.

So why not use multiple databases. I will never play on an australian server due to ping limitations. You could set up Databases per region, one for all the european servers one for australian etc. If you want to play on another realm you can of course, but data is not shared. Less traffic, more performance.

Advanced and even better to get rid of server hopping are custom networks. Like you host three servers and share one database for those three, so the only server you can hop on if you want to keep playing with your stuff is hosted by the same guy, making detection of death dodgers possible. Or hosts merge their servers to one community with shared database.

Its a question of how much flexibility we realy need.

I didn't read the thread but I agree, there's plenty of people who I'd like to ban who disconnect in the middle of PvP and then sit in the lobby and wait to reconnect

Before we take the advice from a man that continues to butcher Hip Hop and Rap in general, Its sometimes necessary to escape death, as death, is bad. We all fear it, we can not escape it. We can avoid it, but that is all we can do in a game. Sure, your masochistic persona you've dubbed into your internet personality has deemed it necessary to kill with honor, others can not. Banning players for escaping is just plain silly, however, punishing them in a viable way, rather than push a community apart even more. Also, Khaled, when you stop saying in your music "WE DA BEST", "LISTEENNN UPPP" and even saying your own DJ name. "DEEEEEEEEEJAAAYY KHAAALEEEDDD", then we may consider viewing you as a viable port of music. After all, i think we all know who you are. Mr. KHALED. YOU CAN'T RUN THE 305

This wouldn't be a problem if I couldn't go into the server browser and see that Vipeax' date=' a member of the staff, was using "NY" as his namespace. Not "NY [some digit']", just straight "NY". (Picture current as of 26 May 1:30am Eastern) Those of us who were early players/hosts of the mod will remember that the first person to occupy the NY namespace was Jonnerz of HostAltitude. NY1 provided by HostAltitude. I find it simply incredible (and I use that word in the sense of "not credible", not "really impressive") that the staff themselves are not aware of efforts being made to unify the nomenclature while members of the hosting community are being asked to do so.

Actually fixed that just now. Most people on IRC would know this, I was in the hospital till... yesterday. During that stay I didn't really have access to anything but our Teamspeak as logging on a public network isn't all that great security wise, due to that I just quickly dumped a new instance ID that I knew would not be taken and didn't check any taken NY© numbers as I couldn't even play DayZ on that laptop. Feel free to verify that that's fixed now.

And for what it's worth: didn't fix it earlier as I didn't expect a weekend stay to end up being 11 days and due to that I forgot about it (health > servername, true story).

You OWNERS have very bad ideas, POWER HUNGRY?

Change game is answer make a cooldown on logout that takes 30sec before your character actually logout instead of BANS thats to much power most of owners just can't handle.

Example what will happen if i shoot owner or friend and he bans me from his server BECOUSE THAT WILL HAPPEN.

Sometimes i already have feeling im kicked from server becouse of murder someone, can't proof it but i trust owners as i trust players ingame:P

and what about admins that do it? Whos gonna ban them? I saw many admins doing it.

Thats one of reasons why owners should not have this power ban people on whimp becouse they will do they say they don't but they eventually will ban for not liking you.

I didn't read the thread but I agree' date=' there's plenty of people who I'd like to ban who disconnect in the middle of PvP and then sit in the lobby and wait to reconnect

[/quote']

or join another server...move position then reconnect and take pot shots at you if you are in the process of looting....just total losers.

I didn't read the thread but I agree' date=' there's plenty of people who I'd like to ban who disconnect in the middle of PvP and then sit in the lobby and wait to reconnect

[/quote']

or join another server...move position then reconnect and take pot shots at you if you are in the process of looting....just total losers.

Last night my group was at the Balota army camp and 2 survivors started shooting at us. We killed one of them and then started shooting at the other one and he just vanished (disconnected). So we wait a bit, nothing happens, we check out the camp. Then suddenly he reconnects and kills me. It's fucking stupid. This never used to be happen but now it seems like everyone is catching on and exploiting it

Thats one of reasons why owners should not have this power ban people on whimp becouse they will do they say they don't but they eventually will ban for not liking you.

Unfortunately there are bad admins, but there are a lot of good admins and good servers, in fact the majority of admins are responsible, there will always be a few rotten apples or people under pressure from members who pay for the server to kick others off so they can get on.... all you need to do is play on different servers and you'll get a feel of how fair the admin is, if there are a lot of random kicks and a bunch of clan members suddenly join, then just leave and cross that server off you list and move on to another one that abides by the rules of DayZ, there are plenty of servers, you do eventually get on, even if it feels you have been waiting for a month... On the other side of the coin, there are just as many, if not more idiot players than there are admins, they usually ignore warnings, question why their friend was kicked and mouth off at the admin, mouth off at other players, or are barrack room lawyers who quote TOS rules at you and complain constantly until you have to kick them from the server for some peace, or they just simply disrupt the game for everyone....that apparently is how some people get their jollies....so banning people is a fact of life with online games, unfortunately its not a perfect world.