ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

Great suggestions, I read the whole thing and i'm really impressed. Ignore that aversion cunt who is probably busy sending racist tweets to injured footballers & offensive tweets to olympic athletes at the moment.

Edited by Tottle

Most of these suggestions are very good and in line with what I've been thinking. Especially the system of bullets being more valuable, albeit powerful, each shot will be both a sacrifice and a gain in its own right (as well as having bullet pouches were you can gather a variation of different ammunition that might be used one at a time depending on what weapon that you want to use). The current UI of ArmA is a great hinderence for this, but you could probably just add an extended scaleform UI or something on top of it and be quite fine for now :)

Common weapons should be much more common and varied, with assault rifles and similar things being much rarer (as described in a thread of mine) <--- This is something that can be done now.

More varied forms of finding food and equipment, whilst making it more valuable by making it drop less is also something interesting. If we were to combine this, the ammo and weapon suggestions, and perhaps cannibalism you would get a situation much closer to The Road (Cormack McCarthy).

One thing I do not agree on is however the vehicle changes that you propose. You say that you want a shitload of vehicles on ever server, and I just think that would be too much. I think however that you should have much more vehicles than right now, with a bit more cleaned up roads (leave the blockades to the players and zombies to create). These vehicles would however reflect the real world and be constituted of a higher number of more common cars, only that you need to choose which ones to waste fuel on (tanks would just be too powerful in my opinion). They could just vary in their state of (dis)repair. Some vehicles would still remain completely destroyed, but I still think that if you find a just slightly ruined car you should be able to fix it up, only at a higher cost, than a car found in better fashion.

Cargo planes and other large vehicles (perhaps their wrecks) would however be able to constitute very good town/base/camp centres, and with some rigorous repairs then who knows, cargo planes could take people, equipment and vehicles from airfield to airfield, albeit at a very large fuel cost.

And yes, I fully agree on that the damage system needs a serious improvement, right now tires can be wiped completely just by hitting a tiny rock. You should be able to drive over smaller stuff without any issue really. You shoudl also be able to fix flat tires by simply giving them more air and patching them up, if not filling up a slightly ajar tire by filling it up numerous times on your way to the repair place (simply somewhere were you can patch it up or get a new tire).

Note:

Your thoughts on food are interesting, but I don't think that they would constitute that much of a gameplay changer as it stands right now. It is however something interesting that might be implemented in some way after everything else is done ;).

PS:

I can actually get working on some more weapons, equipment, clothing and stuff that the mod can use (right now) if they would like me to (already sent in a request, but have yet to receive a reply).

Thanks for your feedback. With regards to that list of vehicles, yes its a bit OTT. :) I did stress that there's no way you could have that much shit on a small server/map.

Great suggestions, I read the whole thing and i'm really impressed. Ignore that aversion cunt who is probably busy sending racist tweets to injured footballers & offensive tweets to olympic athletes at the moment.

Thanks! :)

I am completely stunned by the amount of work you put into this! You should be engaged in the project as a one-man think-tank and provide ideas for the rest of the dev team!

:thumbsup: :beans: :beans: :beans:

Edited by magmatrix
  • Like 2

There's no way this thread will survive until they announce a standalone version of DayZ. Now way that will happen. Nope. Not a chance in... wait... what?

• Like 1

holy? it has been, please oh saviour, link me with the interview he says so, also anything more i would be grateful

I agree with most of your suggestions, though it would be incredibly hard to implement all of them. The only thing I don't like is vehicles like tanks and jets, average survivors shouldn't even know how to drive/fly those. Also what do you mean by trading vehicles, because nothing should stop you from just taking any vehicle you want, no artificial restriction to who can enter it, or do you mean the keys to the vehicle?

Suggestion: Fighting holes and Cover and concealment

It would be nice to be able to use a shovel in the woods to dig in and create a fighting hole and use some of the foliage to conceal yourself.

if you had a good team of survivors, you could set up a nice defensive perimeter with some barbed wire, holes, and camp site.

Perhaps even enable claymores and trip wires for added security

• Like 2

Lot of excellent suggestions in there. The UI mockup in particular looks fantastic, and a million times better than the Arma II interface.

I'd especially like a weight system where with a sufficiently large backpack and pockets in your clothing that you can carry a very large amount of weight, but at a price. If I want to cram 6 weapons into my massive backpack to (slowly) walk over and stash it in a vehicle or something, that would be great.

Being able to move things easily between bags, use them directly from pockets and backpacks (possibly at the expense of a delay), and move them where I want would be very welcome.

Items taking up a varying amount of space is also an excellent addition, and gives you a bit more flexibility on how you use the smaller bags.

Edited by Photolysis
  • Like 1

I agree with most of your suggestions, though it would be incredibly hard to implement all of them. The only thing I don't like is vehicles like tanks and jets, average survivors shouldn't even know how to drive/fly those. Also what do you mean by trading vehicles, because nothing should stop you from just taking any vehicle you want, no artificial restriction to who can enter it, or do you mean the keys to the vehicle?

Just a system whereby you could swap various goodies with another player for a vehicle. Of course nothing would stop you from shooting him in the head and taking it :)

Suggestion: Fighting holes and Cover and concealment

It would be nice to be able to use a shovel in the woods to dig in and create a fighting hole and use some of the foliage to conceal yourself.

if you had a good team of survivors, you could set up a nice defensive perimeter with some barbed wire, holes, and camp site.

Perhaps even enable claymores and trip wires for added security

Camoflage and concealment section added :) Ground deformation would be needed for the holes, its a big ask but it would be fantastic if they pulled it off well.

Lot of excellent suggestions in there. The UI mockup in particular looks fantastic, and a million times better than the Arma II interface.

I'd especially like a weight system where with a sufficiently large backpack and pockets in your clothing that you can carry a very large amount of weight, but at a price. If I want to cram 6 weapons into my massive backpack to (slowly) walk over and stash it in a vehicle or something, that would be great.

Being able to move things easily between bags, use them directly from pockets and backpacks (possibly at the expense of a delay), and move them where I want would be very welcome.

Items taking up a varying amount of space is also an excellent addition, and gives you a bit more flexibility on how you use the smaller bags.

Edited by ruarz

A lot of really great suggestions here! Looking forward to see what they end up doing with the base building mechanics in this game. And lets not forget about the generator idea to power up things for your base, like flood lights or other external things that may or may not be included in the standalone such as lighthouses or buildings.

A lot of really great suggestions here! Looking forward to see what they end up doing with the base building mechanics in this game. And lets not forget about the generator idea to power up things for your base, like flood lights or other external things that may or may not be included in the standalone such as lighthouses or buildings.

A petrol generator would be awesome :) it'd add another reason to go and get fuel, eventually petrol stations might become contested zones between organized groups. I'll be adding this to the list... :)

• Like 1

This thread sums up about all of my hopes for DayZ. Mostly I want the backpack space taken to be more realistic. I like the idea of having slots for each pocket on a vest for quicker access, and weights tied to items that will bring fatigue. I also like the idea of having vital; organs hit ect, just more ways to get hurt. As of now all you have to do is eat some meat.

Edited by langile
  • Like 1

Rocket mentioned he would like the ability for player owned bases, or the player to build a base or hideout (or something similar) and this got me thinking.

What if you could construct a small fortification of sorts, a little place to call home, with a form of access control. Or even get a cave, small building in a city with a gate? I was thinking how this could work is, you could have access control cards (equipment / inventory slots) that grants access to your little hideout. These cards could be made / spawned by a device you can place somehwere on the inside to hand out to team mates or friends. Think of something like an ammobox you use to re arm, but instead you get one keycard, and you can only carry 1 keycard for each unique hideout or base.

Then when looting other players, you could pick up their cards or keys to gain access to their bases /buildings, so it becomes vital to keep these cards or keys safe, and becomes a high value item to get from other players. Could add an interesting dynamic to the game if it can be implemented correctly.

They could limit the storage space inside your area so you don't go around hoarding all the vehicles and weapons to keep it under lock and key, like have a vehicle shed that has a maximum of 2 jeep slots or 1 truck / bus, and for instance 2 bikes / bicycles with that.

Your base and clothing could also be branded with something a team insignia of sorts as a form of identification.

- get rid of hackers

- get rid of graphic bugs

- get rid of abusive admins

- do something about alt+f4 chickens

- add more endgame and some events

then the game will be awesome again

Probably a good idea to reference the people who originally had these ideas.

Also not sure listing stuff that is already in the engine constitutes a suggestion.

Some of these ideas are good, but then I thought that when they were suggested months ago which I guess is why I compiled them into a list already :)

I'd like to see a more in-depth wounding system, where different types of wounds need different methods/amounts of healing. Right now, a punch to the face needs the same amount of attention as a gunshot wound to the stomach. I'd like gunshot wounds guaranteeing morphine to help with pain, and perhaps even a mechanic that would cause open wounds to start bleeding again in the event that a player doesnt treat it properly. This could mean that a player wounded in a fight could apply first aid, but still need medical attention to avoid death later on.

Many of the features from ACE would work brilliantly within DayZ. Particularly the ability to change weapon attachments. I would love a wear and tear system, that forces the player to look after their tools. having to scavenge a new barrel for your M4 to restore optimum performance would make people think twice before spraying bullets at every opportunity. Being able to find optics, attachments and spare parts would be a fantastic feature that adds another.

I wrote a feature suggestion for health restoration and eating, which can be found in my sig below.

The inventory system mentioned by OP woul be great. The ACE system would also be a pretty good system to work around, with a weight system, and the weight you're carrying affecting your ability to sprint or even walk in some cases (Try carrying 75kg of satchel charges in ACE). - This forces people to make a decision between mobility and firepower. Whatever happens, an invenoty based on volume as opposed to 'slots' is vital, as 1 rifle != 10 morphine shots.

• Like 1

- get rid of hackers

- get rid of graphic bugs

- get rid of abusive admins

- do something about alt+f4 chickens

- add more endgame and some events

then the game will be awesome again

and get rid of players like you sir..

On a serious note, you guys realize the dev team is not even remotely close to big dev studios like EA or blizz right? You can't expect them to fix / implement something as you whistle and the sooner you'll understand that the better.