ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

Post this once the game is actually on track to be standalone, and not while it's still in alpha. You're jumping the gun kind of a lot.

• Like 14

Post this once the game is actually on track to be standalone, and not while it's still in alpha. You're jumping the gun kind of a lot.

Even if they are in alpha they still have a picture of what they're working towards. So many features have already been discussed which Rocket has acknowledged cannot be achieved in an Arma 2 mod. Some of the features here could even be put into the mod. I'm not suggesting the standalone is around the corner, only that its worth keeping in mind. We all know what this project is building towards. The standalone may not be in development but DayZ is certainly headed in that direction.

Edited by ruarz
  • Like 15

Even if they are in alpha they still have a picture of what they're working towards. So many features have already been discussed which Rocket has acknowledged cannot be achieved in an Arma 2 mod. Some of the features here could even be put into the mod. I'm not suggesting the standalone is around the corner, only that its worth keeping in mind.

I'm sure this thread will survive until the game becomes stand alone.

• Like 7

I'm sure this thread will survive until the game becomes stand alone.

Okay great. Thanks for your input. Go and shoot down someone elses suggestion thread, you seem to make quite a habit of it.

• Like 7

As soon as people stop making stupid suggestions, and this cesspool of a forum gets cleaned up, I'll give it a rest.

• Like 3

As soon as people stop making stupid suggestions, and this cesspool of a forum gets cleaned up, I'll give it a rest.

You haven't even read my suggestions, you're just a troglodyte who gets a hard-on from being a tosser. I challenge anyone to read this guy's last 20 posts and not come to the same conclusion.

Edited by ruarz
  • Like 27

I actually did read your thread, as I do with every thread. It was typical "this is how I want the game to be," without even bothering to think any of it through. Pretty much every point above either completely ignores the direction of the game, or is something that you think is "cool."

Nothing engaging, nothing unique, and nothing remotely interesting.

• Like 1

I actually did read your thread, as I do with every thread. It was typical "this is how I want the game to be," without even bothering to think any of it through. Pretty much every point above either completely ignores the direction of the game, or is something that you think is "cool."

Nothing engaging, nothing unique, and nothing remotely interesting.

Thats your opinion. Feel free to keep bumping this thread which, by the way, I found both engaging and interesting. There are some unique elements to it as well. "Pretty much every point above either completely ignores the direction of the game" is particularly bollocks.

• Like 22

Oh, yeah. Crafting was a totally on-point suggestion.

Some people are just so thick. I don't know how the majority of you guys made it to adulthood without jamming a butter knife into an electrical outlet.

• Like 2

Rocket has acknowledged he would like to implement crafting. Poster also acknowledged at the start of the post not everything here is completely unique.

Some people are just so thick. I don't know how the majority of you guys made it to adulthood without jamming a butter knife into an electrical outlet.

And some people are just assholes. I don't know how you made it to adulthood without someone kicking your head in. Probably by staying in your room, avoiding human contact and violently masturbating six times a day.

Edited by carlgustav
  • Like 40

I did once, and licked it afterwords. The nice man in a white smock said I was special. Then my amnesia cleared up, and I started sarcastically answering those pessimists who just don't see the rainbows, and BBEEELLLLIIIIEEEEEVVVVEEEEE.

• Like 4

Please stop trolling my thread. You're not going to get a rise out of me.

Edited by ruarz
  • Like 6

Dude honestly save this post in notepad or word for when this game is closer to standalone. I LOVE all the ideas but I think that Rocket might forget about them by the time the standalone comes out. Seriously repost this EXACT (maybe a few modifications for whatever you come up with by then) when this game is say 2 months from going standalone and I'm sure it will keep getting bumped. PS: You have my beans good sir. :D

• Like 7

Sup, I'm from Google, and this is the first result for "day z standalone". I really just wanted to say, ignore the aversionfx prick, he's one of those internet elitist types who offers no ideas of his own but will flog those of others, especially ones like yours that clearly involved a lot of your time. I really hope the majority of the DayZ playerbase isn't like this twat, but whatever. Look forward to seeing some of your ideas implemented, OP. No need to reply to this with something snarky, aversionfx, I'm on my work break and will probably never check this page again, I just wanted to annoy you even slightly (and yes, you are annoyed, and the more I presume that you are annoyed, the more annoyed you will get, and what will really annoy you is that some stranger wasted his time to say this stuff, and it still annoys you, and it will just turn into an exponential annoyance pie. Loser LOL)

• Like 15

You haven't even read my suggestions, you're just a troglodyte who gets a hard-on from being a tosser. I challenge anyone to read this guy's last 20 posts and not come to the same conclusion.

And bickering with him is really going to solve the problem, yes?

• Like 1

Good physics including ragdoll, vehicles and world objects. (much like demoed in Arma 3).

Large amounts of damage should destroy character and zombie models. Missling limbs, flying meat chunks, oh quake 1 how I loved your tasty gibs.

• Like 5

Missing limbs would be awesome. Have you seen how it works in VBS2?

• Like 2

I think your ideas are great. After ironing out current, bugs, glitches and exploits they should have an eye on your suggestions for sure.

I espcially like your ideas for new items. I just miss the batteries. For me it's too easy to get geared up fast. Alice pack, a nice gun and sidearms and the essential survival tools are fast to get. I would love to see them get harder to come by. I also think that you can have everything you really need with a Coyote backpack. Degrading the chance of item spawning is silly. There would be too many trash lieing around. It would make the game really monotone. More items spice up the experience. If there are more useful items that I can actually can carry, than teamwork gets way more interessting.

The idea of boxes is nice too, but I'm somehow afraid that the item interface will get too cluttered and too complicated.

Most of these suggestions are very good and in line with what I've been thinking. Especially the system of bullets being more valuable, albeit powerful, each shot will be both a sacrifice and a gain in its own right (as well as having bullet pouches were you can gather a variety of different ammunition that might be used one at a time depending on what weapon that you want to use). The current UI of ArmA is a great hinderence for this, but you could probably just add an extended scaleform UI or something on top of it and be quite fine for now :)

Common weapons should be much more common and varied, with assault rifles and similar things being much rarer (as described in a thread of mine) <--- This is something that can be done now.

More varied forms of finding food and equipment, whilst making it more valuable by making it drop less is also something interesting. If we were to combine this, the ammo and weapon suggestions, and perhaps cannibalism you would get a situation much closer to The Road (Cormack McCarthy).

One thing I do not agree on is however the vehicle changes that you propose. You say that you want a shitload of vehicles on ever server, and I just think that would be too much. I think however that you should have much more vehicles than right now, with a bit more cleaned up roads (leave the blockades to the players and zombies to create). These vehicles would however reflect the real world and be constituted of a higher number of more common cars, only that you need to choose which ones to waste fuel on (tanks would just be too powerful in my opinion). They could just vary in their state of (dis)repair. Some vehicles would still remain completely destroyed, but I still think that if you find a just slightly ruined car you should be able to fix it up, only at a higher cost, than a car found in better fashion.

Cargo planes and other large vehicles (perhaps their wrecks) would however be able to constitute very good town/base/camp centres, and with some rigorous repairs then who knows, cargo planes could take people, equipment and vehicles from airfield to airfield, albeit at a very large fuel cost.

And yes, I fully agree on that the damage system needs a serious improvement, right now tires can be wiped completely just by hitting a tiny rock. You should be able to drive over smaller stuff without any issue really. You shoudl also be able to fix flat tires by simply giving them more air and patching them up, if not filling up a slightly ajar tire by filling it up numerous times on your way to the repair place (simply somewhere were you can patch it up or get a new tire).

Note:

Your thoughts on food are interesting, but I don't think that they would constitute that much of a gameplay changer as it stands right now. It is however something interesting that might be implemented in some way after everything else is done ;).

PS:

I can actually get working on some more weapons, equipment, clothing and stuff that the mod can use (right now) if they would like me to (already sent in a request, but have yet to receive a reply).

Edited by Hulahuga
  • Like 3