no7luck

Computer Completely Shuts Down During Gameplay

My computer will shut down after 5mins to 5 hours of game play. Random time intervals, I think it is caused by my video card, I will provide some information here please let me know if there's anything else you would like.

Attached is a picture of my computer specs, and these lines are from GPU-Z for temps etc.

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Shader Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed (%) [%] , Fan Speed (RPM) [RPM] , Memory Used [MB] , GPU Load [%] , Memory Controller Load [%] , Video Engine Load [%] , VDDC [V] ,

2012-07-18 20:28:15 , 405.0 , 162.0 , 810.0 , 64.0 , 38 , 1800 , 703 , 77 , 49 , 0 , 0.9120 ,

2012-07-18 20:28:16 , 405.0 , 162.0 , 810.0 , 64.0 , 38 , 1770 , 703 , 72 , 46 , 0 , 0.9120 ,

2012-07-18 20:28:17 , 405.0 , 162.0 , 810.0 , 64.0 , 37 , 1800 , 703 , 73 , 47 , 0 , 0.9120 ,

2012-07-18 20:28:18 , 405.0 , 162.0 , 810.0 , 64.0 , 37 , 1740 , 703 , 73 , 46 , 0 , 0.9120 ,

Thank you!

post-59330-0-92764300-1342654786_thumb.j

Has your been recovering from a crash every once in while when your just browsing the net or anything? If so, your card is dying. I had this issue and ignored it until it was too late and it wouldnt turn on.

Whats the temps (of both GPU & CPU?) I cant tell from that info. Also, what size PSU you running? Commonly shutdowns are the result of heat or lack of power.

I agree, sounds like your card may well be over heating!

It's obv. not a certainty...but i would def. try taking the side panels of your comp and maybe putting the fan speed of your card to 100% (not letting the comp control it) just to see if it helps!

Process of elimination i guess!

• Like 1

As MadMax said there are only 2 reason for just blacking out (without bluescreen or stuff) and those are heat and energy. Check if all of your fans are working as intended and if the power adapter is not damaged in any way.

• Like 1

GPU temps are around mid 60s in game and fan speeds 45-40%

highest temp I can see is 66c

Whats the temps (of both GPU & CPU?) I cant tell from that info. Also, what size PSU you running? Commonly shutdowns are the result of heat or lack of power.

It's an aftermarkey PSU, 500W i think? I remember looking it up and know its good for the video card, researched that and talked to a guy to make sure it was ok and it was.

Whats your CPU temp hit when gaming? Some BIOS's also have an option to shutdown the PC when the CPU hits a certain temp.

Also, if your running Win 7 you can go into Reliability Monitor (Control panel) and check for crashes and further info there as to why it shut down. Also check Event Viewer.

Edited by MadMax

Downloaded a beta firmware upgrade, and also downloaded the software to change fan speeds. I upped it to run at 70% consistently, i was good for about a hour? Then it shut down

Here's a report from the problem:

Source

Windows

Summary

Video hardware error

Date

‎7/‎18/‎2012 8:34 PM

Status

Not reported

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem

WD-20120718-2033.dmp

sysdata.xml

WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: FFFFFA80073524E0

BCP2: FFFFF880111D44D4

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Without delving too deep into hardware issues. As previously posted, the 2 main reasons for seemingly random reboots or shutdowns are A:Over heating and B:Faulty powersupply.

A: There are programs out there to monitor your CPU/GPU temps, i suggest you try that first. Your reports that you posted seem fine to me but they dont include a CPU temp. If your cpu is over heating just remember everytime you let it over heat and 'crash' there is a higher rate of degradation and a much higher possibility that it can become damaged beyond fixing. While its not a very high possibility, with issues like this i always advise people to nip them in the bud earlier rather than later. I would find the 'average' and 'critical' temperature range for your CPU then start fiddling with the bios settings, perhaps increase the minimum shutdown temp by 10 or so degrees, open your case and clear our the fans thoroughly. Buy a better fan if you want to go down that road. Have you had the same/ similar issues with other high intensity games? Try playing a fairly graphics intense game and up the settings as much as possible and push your system to its maximum to try replicate the issue outside of dayz. The next time you crash if you havent got a temp monitor running boot the pc up straight away and enter the bios, check the cpu temp as quick as you can.

B. Power supplies can become faulty for no reason at all. They can suddenly lose the power to manage what load your system requires. Even if the supply is not faulty its still possible that under high pressure situations it just cant reach the capacity needed. Powersupplies are relatively cheap but a good power supply is a good investment. High wattage is not always high quality and vice versa so do your research. If the power supply is faulty then you wont ahve much choice but to buy a new one. However if the powersupply suddenly cant handle the load any more try opening the system up, removing power cables to spare hardrives, cdrom drives or anything else that is not needed. Then try and replicate the problem.

• Like 1

Whats the make & model of your mainboard?

And what version video driver are you running?

Also, you still havent listed your CPU temp which could be the culprit. Check this thread: http://www.pchelpfor...m.131351/page-3

Downloaded the HWMonitor to try to log some information, the Motherboard is a:

http://ca.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/

Without delving too deep into hardware issues. As previously posted, the 2 main reasons for seemingly random reboots or shutdowns are A:Over heating and B:Faulty powersupply.

A: There are programs out there to monitor your CPU/GPU temps, i suggest you try that first. Your reports that you posted seem fine to me but they dont include a CPU temp. If your cpu is over heating just remember everytime you let it over heat and 'crash' there is a higher rate of degradation and a much higher possibility that it can become damaged beyond fixing. While its not a very high possibility, with issues like this i always advise people to nip them in the bud earlier rather than later. I would find the 'average' and 'critical' temperature range for your CPU then start fiddling with the bios settings, perhaps increase the minimum shutdown temp by 10 or so degrees, open your case and clear our the fans thoroughly. Buy a better fan if you want to go down that road. Have you had the same/ similar issues with other high intensity games? Try playing a fairly graphics intense game and up the settings as much as possible and push your system to its maximum to try replicate the issue outside of dayz. The next time you crash if you havent got a temp monitor running boot the pc up straight away and enter the bios, check the cpu temp as quick as you can.

B. Power supplies can become faulty for no reason at all. They can suddenly lose the power to manage what load your system requires. Even if the supply is not faulty its still possible that under high pressure situations it just cant reach the capacity needed. Powersupplies are relatively cheap but a good power supply is a good investment. High wattage is not always high quality and vice versa so do your research. If the power supply is faulty then you wont ahve much choice but to buy a new one. However if the powersupply suddenly cant handle the load any more try opening the system up, removing power cables to spare hardrives, cdrom drives or anything else that is not needed. Then try and replicate the problem.

I dont play much games, But i have ran Assasins Creed and Diablo 3 on high settings, I have the program to monitor my temps so I will update this when i try the game tonight, I will also try the BIOS to check temp if i can get to it quickly

An update, HWMonitor is showing all the stats but it is not reading the CPU temperatures

Also tried AMD Overdrive just to check the status, has some specs on the CPU but not temps

Ok I did find one section of the AMD Overdrive that does show it, just want to make sure its going to log it and then I can test it tonight.

Edited by no7luck

Ok, so I took the fan off the CPU with the metal box that sits in between the fan and the CPU (forgot it's name) and there was a crap load of dust, I cleaned it out, went on the servers and played on "High" settings for 45mins without any power offs. Will play a longer session tonight in a hour or so. Thanks for all your help thus far!

Make sure there is no dust clogging your card also.

Lol was cleaning the dust off the CPU fan as you were writting that :)

Good to see you got it working.

You could also use Coretemp to monitor your CPU temp.

Edited by MadMax
  • Like 1

Played last night on "Very high" after cleaning all the crap out from the fan for the CPU and surrounding area. Not one shut down

Lol was cleaning the dust off the CPU fan as you were writting that :)

I work on all my friends PC's and before we even do anything its open the case and blow out the dust.

Edited by AtomQuark

Played last night on "Very high" after cleaning all the crap out from the fan for the CPU and surrounding area. Not one shut down

Great stuff :)

I need help on this too, i saw that my CPU fan is 0 rpm... i'm new to this computer stuff but i think that is realllly bad? any help?