csulpw

Player Journals

I would like to propose a voting on the "auto complete journal VS manual complete journal" thing...

It's a great idea, but i'm against the system of auto-writing statistics...

you sir have my beans. :beans:

I've been wondering about journals for a few days. I think it's a brilliant idea.

I definitely think they shouldn't be automated. Everything should be told through the players thoughts alone. Like in real life you have the choice to keep a journal or not.

If you find another person's journal it's gotta take up an inventory slot. If you want to know more about the dead body you just found then carry their journal. And when you've done reading it just discard it.

Could you imagine finding someone's journal and it contains whereabouts to a highly dangerous bandit camp? Or some mysterious coordinates? Or notes on repairing a vehicle and the safest place to refuel. If you think the journal is valuable to you then for the sake of realism it would have to take up inventory space.

Edited by Guest

I just knocked up a quick design to show you guys how it could look.

I thought of a cool feature which I've put in my design. If a player is killed while writing a journal it could be displayed like you can see.

Hope you guys like it!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8671/dayzjournal.jpg

Edited by Guest

I just knocked up a quick design to show you guys how it could look.

I thought of a cool feature which I've put in my design. If a player is killed while writing a journal it could be displayed like you can see.

Hope you guys like it!

http://imageshack.us...ayzjournal.jpg/

Your design is great

Thank you. I forgot to add page turn buttons so I've just edited it :P

Everything in my thread linked in my signature would be in-game! There would be so much literature, you would drown in it. Then I would find your body and add the experience to the archives. Sounds great for me! Atleast you would die with a good read in your hands.

Edited by metapaus

I didn't even think of the stuff people were posting! You can see what others you have killed have done, if they have made a checklist, notes or ect! Diagnosis would be really a lot easier in-game if players' life was logged. Also, I propose ripping pages out of other player's journals. Basically, what this does is it takes all the pages written on out of a player's journal and would make them available for you to view, and clip them to your own. It would also not let anyone else read the journal from now on, if kept on the player body. What do you think of that mechanic?

It's a good idea if you have a choice not to have one, otherwise it will increase kill rates, well it will a bit anyway.

Mine will read something like this... it's a trap! ( bang AS50 )

This is an awesome idea. Capturing experiences in-game would keep the immersion full on.

I would also like to be able to link my journal to my in-game map, so annotations you make on locations can be indexed and cross referenced without every player on the server seeing them; unless they stumbled upon your corpse.

Imagine the guilt of reading the journal of another survivor you'd downed and realising he was actually a decent guy.

Edited by John Smith

Journals could also be collected like dog tags to incentivise players to use them. It could be incorporated into your humanity somehow if you're carrying a load of stories from past survivors.

Edited by John Smith

Journals could also be collected like dog tags to incentivise players to use them. It could be inroporated into your humanity somehow if you're carrying a load of stories from past survivors.

Hey! You have a blog/guide in your signature too!

I think it's a perfect idea. Just finding a body in the middle of nowhere, looting it, then reading about what they went through, what they felt, what they thought. It might make player killing for fun drop dramatically. I don't think I could pull my self together to read a journal of someone I killed because I freaked out. It's these type ideas that add humanity to the game and I WANT to see this added to the game. I know it's not too hard to pull off.

Hey! You have a blog/guide in your signature too!

I'm still a noob, about 10 days in; the only people who could learn from my blog are the ones who haven't played yet!

YES, add the journals, and add ripping out other pages to clip them to your own. Imagine the map being linked to your journal, somebody writing down coordinates and you marking it on your map, making it your mission to get there. Somebody writes a location of some friendlies, good places to get food, safe place to fuel up, and unrepaired vehicle project.... God, I love this community. PLEASE LET THIS IN THE STANDALONE.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Rocket himself has already decided this would be implemented in the standalone in an interview. I don't know if it's appeared on the forums, but im fairly sure that it's already been considered and is being used as an idea.