andrepcg

Chernarus Height Map

Hey could you make a terrain height-map for me? Found this guide while searching how to export a model to a terrain heightmap (as I wondered this myself).

http://area.autodesk...l-to-heightmap/

Thanks.

You mean like a HQ B/W bump map of the terrain?

• Like 1

You mean like a HQ B/W bump map of the terrain?

yeah that would be great, no shadows. A BMP image would work well but a .raw image would be amazing, 16bit or 32bit single channel.Thanks.

P.s. sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Hey everyone. I was playing around with the xyz data in Mathematica, and I figured I'd share what I came up with.

fjvp9.jpg

For those that are interested, this is the code I used to create the image:

dir="C:\\Users\\rhennigan\\Documents\\Mathematica"; (* Change this to match your file location. *)

sampleRate=4; (* Larger value gives lower resolution. Try values 16, 8, 4, 2, and then 1 (includes all data). *)

heightScale=1.5; (* Use this to exaggerate elevation, 1.0 is actual. *)

SetDirectory[dir];

data=Partition[Partition[ReadList["chernarus_8WVR.xyz",Real],3],2048];

data=data[[1;;2001,1;;2001]];

low=Min[data[[All,All,3]]];

high=Max[data[[All,All,3]]];

range=high-low;

zScale=(range+110)/15000;

lowData=Partition[Flatten[data[[;;;;sampleRate,;;;;sampleRate]]],3];

scaleWater[z_]:=If[z<0,ColorData["AtlanticColors"][Abs[(z-low)/(low-400)]],ColorData["GreenBrownTerrain"][-((high-z)/(high+200))+1]]; (* You can mess around with this function to change the colors. *)

palettes=30;

step=range/palettes;

legend=Graphics[{

White,EdgeForm[None],Inset[style["ELEVATION",{Bold,FontFamily->"Arial",14}],{low-step/5,.5step},Right],

Table[{

Black,EdgeForm[black],scaleWater,Rectangle[{i+step/15,step/15},{i+step-step/15,step-step/15}],Inset[style[integerPart@i,{If[i<0,White,Black],Bold,FontFamily->"Arial",11}],{i+.5step,.5step},{Center,Center}]},{i,low,high,step}]},ImageSize->1250];

map=Rasterize[show[{

ListPlot3D[lowData,ColorFunction->Function[{x,y,z},scaleWater[z]],ColorFunctionScaling->False,Mesh->15,MeshStyle->Opacity[.25],PlotRange->{low-100,high+10},Filling->Bottom,FillingStyle->scaleWater[low]]

},ImageSize->1920,BoxRatios->{1,1,zScale*heightScale},Boxed->False,Axes->False],RasterSize->1920];

image=Show[{map,Graphics[Rotate[inset[legend,Scaled[{.375,.25}],Center],-0.365]]}];

Export["chernarus.png",image]

• Like 2

chernarusbmp.png

Got this, once I figure out how to upload the 4k .bmp (and get it to be 16 bit) I will put it up here...photobucket does not like big pictures.

UPDATE: icomrade, would a 32 bit .EXR work?

Edited by Xaiier

Could I get a copy of that height map as an image like this?

Even a 500x500 would be great. I'm messing with OpenGL making a 3d map.

Could I get a copy of that height map as an image like this?

Even a 500x500 would be great. I'm messing with OpenGL making a 3d map.

That is what my post above is about, icomrade also requested this. (you probably want to use the .BMP)

This is a 4096x4096 32 bit .EXR. It should work, but I haven't tried it.

chernarus.exr

This is a 4096x4096 8 bit .BMP

chernarus.bmp

Edited by Xaiier
  • Like 2

Thanks a bunch!!

Do you think i could get a 8192x8192 version, I scale it up but I could imagine it would be much better quality if it's made from the original, thanks.

Btw the .exr worked great :)

Thanks a bunch!!

Do you think i could get a 8192x8192 version, I scale it up but I could imagine it would be much better quality if it's made from the original, thanks.

Btw the .exr worked great :)

Yeah sure, I can make one tomorrow morning when I get to work, this comp cant handle that. Hopefully it isn't too big to upload... :P

Do you mind if I ask what you are using this for? I cannot imagine why someone would need a 32 bit 8k heightmap. Pretty high quality stuff considering it isn't even a real place... :P

Edited by Xaiier

That is what my post above is about, icomrade also requested this. (you probably want to use the .BMP)

This is a 4096x4096 32 bit .EXR. It should work, but I haven't tried it.

chernarus.exr

This is a 4096x4096 8 bit .BMP

chernarus.bmp

Perfect!

Thank you!

Yeah sure, I can make one tomorrow morning when I get to work, this comp cant handle that. Hopefully it isn't too big to upload... :P

Do you mind if I ask what you are using this for? I cannot imagine why someone would need a 32 bit 8k heightmap. Pretty high quality stuff considering it isn't even a real place... :P

It's for a 262 sq km map in CE3. It doesn't have to be 32 bit, 16 bit raw is the requirment, although I can make that from the .exr which is why it works great :)

Edited by icomrade

It's for a 262 sq km map in CE3. It doesn't have to be 32 bit, 16 bit raw is the requirment, although I can make that from the .exr which is why it works great :)

Cool. I made an 8k version but it is 500mb so it will take awhile to upload. It is estimating 1.6 hours... :blush: EDIT: taking a lot longer than expected...

I would make it in 16 bit but I'm not sure if that would work, my program is very fussy about the settings. If you can turn the .EXR to your format easily though I guess that's ok!

Edited by Xaiier

Whatever works. If you can't upload it in a reasonable amount of time a .bmp should do, i'm not sure how much smaller it will actually be. You can also open the .exr in photoshop and save it as a .exr with the same bit depth and you should reduce file-size a lot.

Whatever works. If you can't upload it in a reasonable amount of time a .bmp should do, i'm not sure how much smaller it will actually be. You can also open the .exr in photoshop and save it as a .exr with the same bit depth and you should reduce file-size a lot.

Err...what? I tried that and it dropped to 60 MB. I suppose it was uncompressed? I wish I had realized that sooner, it's been freezing partway through upload all day no matter what I do...

Should be up soon...

EDIT: chernarus_8k.exr

Edited by Xaiier

Err...what? I tried that and it dropped to 60 MB. I suppose it was uncompressed? I wish I had realized that sooner, it's been freezing partway through upload all day no matter what I do...

Should be up soon...

EDIT: chernarus_8k.exr

Poor punctuation, sorry if that was confusing. :/

Thanks a bunch, I'll work on getting a usable .raw or .bmp posted.

Edited by icomrade

Finally finished converting them, these are 8bit + 16bit .RAW, if you need a 32 bit it is not include because .raw files are uncompressed and it is 400MB. You can convert your own by selecting grayscale as the color depth and 32bit as the bit depth, then save as a .raw not-interlaced (Windows).

http://www.mediafire...oo816i83ph7jd71

Edit: these are 8192x8192, you can scale them down or use the previously posted 4096x4096 32bit .exr posted by Xaiier

Edited by icomrade
  • Like 1

Impressive project.

But why don't you just use the contour lines on the exisiting map? lol

They tell you the same thing.

Impressive project.

But why don't you just use the contour lines on the exisiting map? lol

They tell you the same thing.

Now that would be a painful process, lol. he had a program create a more exact representation for him, and I used the data provided to create a heightmap, usable in game engines, that will allow the engine to create an exact representation.

Now that would be a painful process, lol. he had a program create a more exact representation for him, and I used the data provided to create a heightmap, usable in game engines, that will allow the engine to create an exact representation.

No. I mean great project. Very impressive work... BUT, why not just navigate around the map using the contours or looking at them for elevation? ;)

What would be the practical application of this map?

you know what would be cool..

Using Googlemaps to include a street view version of this.

Would probably be one hell of a task but.

some how coding a virtual camera that can do 360 deg snapshotting every few meters along all the roads in the game.

some how coding a virtual camera that can do 360 deg snapshotting every few meters along all the roads in the game.

Yeah, but who is going to volunteer to drive up and down the streets of Cherno and Elektro? <_<

Just wanted to say thank you, this is a great project.

No. I mean great project. Very impressive work... BUT, why not just navigate around the map using the contours or looking at them for elevation? ;)

What would be the practical application of this map?

He explained this in the first post, the contour lines are much harder to follow and tell an exact height, and there is no way to tell which parts are at equal heights unless you count contour lines which is rather tedious.

Plausible, might require writing a mod for Arma to get it to work though. Would still be a ton of effort. I suppose that one could set his FOV to 360 and walk down all the roads taking screenshots, then paste them together somehow into the google interface.

Edited by Xaiier

chernowebgl.png

That's rendering in a browser (FireFox) in 3D, I have a friend with some web space who is willing to host it for testing. I'll post a link when it happens, but please be gentle!

Thanks again for the heightmap!

Gonna start looking at textures soon.

• Like 1