JesseB954

Connecting to a DayZ server temporarily disables my Internet connection!!

So I can't understand why this issue happens. I had installed DayZ at a friends house because the connection at my home was rather poor. (60kbs) But I never encountered a problem like this at his house. When I set up my computer at home, I was able to run and play DayZ normally on the first day. But then then the next day, in connecting to a specific server (the receiving mission data step), I lost connection completely, and my router had apparently lost access to the internet as well. It came back after five minutes, however this is now a trend. I can't connect to any DayZ servers because it temporarily stunts my internet connection.

Yes I understand this is also technically a problem with the overarching Arma servers, but I just can't understand the problem. I can run any other game perfectly, and even if I did lose connection, it would be due to the poor quality of Internet I have, not because the game shorted my connection out.

I've tried looking everywhere but this problem is so weird!! Help meee please!!!

Same here, but waiting in loading screen until itnernet comes back makes it go away. As soon as i am ingame internet is running smoothly again.

I have had problems connecting since the recent patch, also - it started three days ago. I have been playing DayZ for several weeks without any sort of connection issues - both me and my husband played together without troubles. Three days ago, however, once I get to the "Loading" after "waiting for character to create," my internet traffic seems to crawl and I get stuck on the loading screen. If I am lucky, I might progress to "Setup Completed..." and then I am in the game (at which point everything operates perfectly normal), but most of the time I can't seem to get past the loading screen and I can't seem to get DayZ not to slow/disconnect my Internet. It's driving me crazy, because it's making it near impossible for my husband and I to play together and if he is already logged in while I am trying to load, it disconnects him because mine is too busy slowing/disconnecting the Internet.

I have tried re-installing, I have checked for the latest router firmware, I have tried creating a new character profile - nada. It is not server specific, either.

I just want this issue to be resolved so things can get back to running normally like they were prior to three days ago. I am glad to hear this is not just me, though.

Have you guys checked your routers to ensure all necessary ports are open? strange that the whole connection is going down though.

I have, yes. My husband has absolutely no trouble logging on and he's obviously connecting via the same router and same internet connection. I am at a loss as to why this has only started happening three days ago - prior to that, it was absolutely perfect and nothing has changed since then other than the recent patch. It doesn't matter if I launch via Steam or SixLauncher, either. There's also no anti-virus software or firewall getting in the way of things on my machine.

Upon further testing with the game, I have discovered a work-around that resolves the problem until the developers can implement a proper fix for this bug!

I can't explain why, but it seems that playing in full screen mode is what causes the problem when attempting to load into servers. In your graphics option, if you select your UI resolution to be 'windowed' and then try logging into any DayZ server (I tested at least six different servers), it loads in normally just like it should - no cutting or slowing of internet, no stuck at character create or loading screens. The only down side to this method is that when you try to go back to full screen, you can (if you say 'later' to restarting the game), but the HUD elements will still remain at window mode size until you restart - so you can still see everything else in full screen resolution, but your debug monitor, server text and side health/info icons will hang around where they were in windowed mode. And restarting will just result in you having full screen mode again and being unable to connect for some crazy reason.

EDIT: Pressing alt+enter will change you in and out of window/full screen modes without needing to restart and your GUI HUD moves appropriately with it - so this is a totally perfect way to get around the connecting issues for now. Just make sure you are in windowed mode when you press to connect to a server once you are in its lobby. Then once you have loaded into the game, bring up the game menu so you can press alt+enter and your game should change to full screen. Close the menu and enjoy surviving!

I hope my little work around helps someone out there. I know I will be using this method to connect until a real fix is implemented. I wasn't sure if I should make this a proper thread to get people's attention (and the devs), so if someone can make sure the right people see this, that would be great.

P.S. I have used my work around all day today and it has worked like a charm.

Edited by Hotdog
  • Like 2

If you have a slow connection run six launcher and look under the facebook twitter icons and you see options click that. In options there are 2 boxes checked by default (I don't remember what they said) but one of them says "may cause connection to drop" uncheck that one. I had problems with a slower connection six launcher would drop the connection when I updated or joined matches but no more problems after I unchecked that option.

Edited by AtomQuark

This problem occurs regardless of whether DayZ is launched via SixLauncher or not.

Minimizing the screen prior to selecting worked for it amazes me why dayz makes our connection lost but im just happy this works thx for the info

Thank you!! This works for me too, I really hope they manage to resolve this though. I'm glad I wasn't alone in my troubles.

no, doesnt help here. its so annoying!

why does it keep happening, no matter if its ingame, six launcher or dayz commander windowed or not .... when requesting the serverlist the internet connection is at least 2 minutes screwed :/

Ok i think i might have a fix for this :D well i think it worked for me, ok i made sure i didnt have anything port forwarded then i clicked on the internet icon in the bottom right corner and clicked open network and sharing center then change adapter settings then right click the connection you are connected to then properties then click on internet protocol version 4 TCP/IPv4 then properties again and click the use the following DNS server addresses button and change the preferred DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate DNS server to 8.8.4.4 and click ok and close everything else, that should be about it i hope it fixes you problem :D. Bean me if this works :3 :beans:

Edited by Chaseman15

I have this problem with dayz commander and my network. I think is something to do with modems. I personally have Thomson TCW770 200MB broadband modem and all these kind of problems started when i purchase it. First it was with Utorrent and Opera and firefox when connected same time. Fixed that issue by shutting off modems ipflooding and modems personal firewall. Now the issue appears with dayz commander. When i refresh all servers once nothing happens, but when i chain refresh twice and open internet browser same time, my network collapse totally. Modem seems to works (lights are on) but my PC shows that network is down. I tried to port my DNS servers allso with no effect. Any suggestions?

I have the same f*cking problem with the standalone right now, i don't know why... i enter a server, play 1-2 minutes and the router/modem goes down.. like i'm not only disconnected from the server but my network shuts off for whatever reason... WTF?

it never happens with any other game 

• Like 1

Has anything been fixed or suggested for Standalone?  Im searching like crazy and am finding no solutions.  Literally every time I bring up server list, internet shuts off house-wide for 1-4 minutes.  Once I connect?  Perfect!  But before I connect, 1-4 minutes of rage insanity.

Here is the fix:

Under your dayz commander settings lower the "Maximum" connections. This influences the number of IPs Dayz commander tries to ping/s, and if your router can't keep up or your line speed is to slow it would crash your Internet and the servers wont refresh properly, so you won't be launching the correct mods to join the servers.