Sign in to follow this  
ratfever

What is with Direct Chat?

Is there something wrong with direct chat via type, not a mic? As it seems everyone I talk with via DC is unresponsive and stares at me. I've been trying to communicate with several frsh spawns, and people within cities to have no answer. I may understand 1 unresponsive person, but all these people cannot be unresponsive. Do I have to set up my mic? I'd prefer simply using chat, but either everyone is ignoring me, or something is up with my chat. :/

Kids who has turned their volume down, because they are scared of the music and don't know how to turn it off.

I was just on a server on which DC did not work for no apparent reason. It had side chat though.

i had this, it turned out to be a glitch, they can hear and see what you're saying

but when they respond, they're text does not show up on screen, my fixed

strangely enough when i got a new mic, although i don't see how it affects

direct chat.

(don't use this as a fix)

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anybody type in DC before. Ever.

Always assumed it was just bugged.

Amusingly, it took me about 3 hours of gameplay before I found out which button opens chat. The settings say \ , but on my setup, it's - .

So most new people probably have no idea how to chat. I got one guy talking after telling them which button to use to chat.

Wouldn't it be a bit odd that nobody knows how to use chat? I would assume at least 1 of them would understand, but they all just stared blankly. I even told one dude how to change chat channels and how to chat. Still, nothing... Not even a response in another language. Anyone else have this issue? i guess I'll just have to use a mic.

**Some servers have DC disabled ^_^

Well that's just retarded...

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anybody type in DC before. Ever.

Always assumed it was just bugged.

Used DC today to text chat with someone, Worked fine. Voice and Text worked perfect.

People can't hear me in the game when I try the voice communication. there is nothing wrong with my microphone, tho I'm using Skype with friends, but my friends can use the voice while on skype so I don't really know whats the problem.

Not talking to other people in this game is stupid. No wonder people want to talk back to you. I just shoot anyone who doesn't talk back in voice chat.

Edited by Vitdom

I'm puzzled by this as well, as I've never seen anyone use chat up to this point (started playing 2/3 weeks ago). I occasionaly type in chat to see if anyone responds but I started to wonder if a) it was broken or b.) i was doing something wrong. Nice to know I'm not the only one, though.

I do know voice chat works (haven't tried it myself yet), someone once said something and startled me so much I shot him by reflex :(

Edited by zoidish

**Some servers have DC disabled ^_^

Yep, seen that too and when I asked people about it, they claimed the VON created lag on their server... Belongs in the realm of gamer superstition, I guess.

They aren't using directional chat when they try to talk to you.

Many people coming into the game are auto-set to Group Chat, and so they type in that like the newbies they are. Some figure out how to use side chat, but now that this is gone on most servers, many don't learn, and they freak out when the person doesn't see what they are typing, or hear them when they respond. So instead of trying to communicate they tend to shoot you, run away or stare at you, trying to communicate in the wrong channel.

I've seen a few video reviews where they did this, trying to speak to people using group chat instead of direct. Perfectly normal if you are new. Pretty sad to watch. Really funny to watch some of those videos, too.

It's a shame that folk dont take time to understand DC, because lack of communciation is the one reason I'll take someone out. I don't like too, because I prefer to buddy up with folk. But no response - no mercy.

My friend and I just started playing this week. The controls are a bit much to memorize everything all at once, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people just don't know the commands and/or how to change channels. Or even to that "Direct Chat" means around you, my friend thought it was a whipser. I have a hotkey list beside me so I told my friend over skype how to talk to a guy he ran into and it worked fine he said. Until they were both murdered by a third person while they were busy typing lol.

People can't hear me in the game when I try the voice communication. there is nothing wrong with my microphone, tho I'm using Skype with friends, but my friends can use the voice while on skype so I don't really know whats the problem.

I've seen several people type in DC, and most have replied to me or initiated a conversation in via microphone in direct chat. The only problem I have, is that everybody is too damn quiet. My settings are all turned up max but everybody in game is still so very quiet. It's just hard to hear sometimes.

It's a shame that folk dont take time to understand DC, because lack of communciation is the one reason I'll take someone out. I don't like too, because I prefer to buddy up with folk. But no response - no mercy.

I feel the exact same way. Without communication teaming up is just a liability.

Certainly is a shame if it is glitched or people don't understand how to use it. I think increased use of DC would certainly lessen the KoS deathmatch. Definantly makes running into a stranger in the city a lot more tense when you can't even communicate with the guy. Lack of communication is definantly a leading cause of death in Chernarus,