Ander (DayZ)

Some feature ideas requesting feedback

I didn't read the whole thread (edit: I see that the post before mine said the same): A squad could lock down an entire city like Cherno with ease just by placing fireplaces all over (or the generators).

I see a simple solution: When people log in, there should be a warning for other people arround that somebody just logged in nearby, or players could make a loud sound when logging in so others are warned. The biggest problem with people that log in is that others can't notice them. I was in a barn, checked everything and then was shot by a player that logged in behind me - if he would've made a sound, I would've noticed him and maybe had a chance.

Edited by frantix

While I love the idea of generators and stuff that can be used for different things I find this idea very stupid (at least the intended use). You are simply suggesting an ingame mechanic to _sometimes_ prevent people from cheating! The problem with ghosting shouldn't be dealt with forcing online players use an item but restrict this type of cheating in the first place. Also such a mechanic would imply that ghosting is a legit way of playing the game (which it isn't).

Im not sure if this has been pointed out already, but this may lead to players "farming" other players in areas where people log out often.

It would require quite a lot of these jammers, and lots of fuel, but if the location was near a fuel depot then it would still be feasable.

If 3 jammers were set up in a triangle at maximum range, so that their jamming affect combined left a tiny space in the centre of all three, any player spawning within one of these 3 radii would either be moved to the outside perimeter of the triplet, or they would be moved into the centre of the triplet. Add a second layer of jammers surrounding the core 3, and any players spawning within these core 3 jammers would get moved to the central gap, which could be surrounded by barbed wire and right between the crosshairs of the whole group who were motivated enough to set up this elaborate trap

Instead of using this idea to combat ghosting why not use it to safeguard certain areas on the map?

Spread the radio towers around the world map at key item spawn locations, such as airfields, fire stations, barracks

general military spawns if you will. Same mechanics apply, you can't log into these locations on any server which would

prevent people from server-hop farming certain items.

It's a great idea which can be used for other things, but it's too big of a hassle for the "victims" to be used in combating ghosting.

Great idea to create threads like this, keep em coming please!

If implemented I'd suggest making it a vehicle, like a Utility Truck (Repair):

- would require multiple generators as well as standard parts and fuel for repair

- could only function if the vehicle was immobile/engine off, this works since the towers would be man-portable anyway.

-the generators would eat at the trucks fuel supply, forcing you to balance potential movement with duration of jamming.

-recolor vehicle to sand color (if necessary) and make engine noise play when the generators are on, keeping the vehicle just as noticeable as an antenna would be

-due to generators and additional fuel the truck would have no additional cargo capacity, room for a driver/single passenger only.

-it would be considerably slower than similar vehicles due to added weight of jamming equipment, generators, and additional fuel.

I think a better solution to ghosting/server hopping to farm should be sought, but as a player driven initiative for it and as a gameplay feature for the end-game and groups this seems like a decent solution imo. It would be difficult to find, and even harder to fully repair and then move given that it would be a massive target in the open. If the jamming items are carriable like an antenna/generator then people will find a way to dupe and spam them over large areas.