Ander (DayZ)

Some feature ideas requesting feedback

That could be offset by logging out at a fire.

Wasn't that this way in Dark Age of Camelot? When you were near a fire you had not logout timer? I'm pretty sure something like this was in one of the many MMOs I've played.

Not a fan of the not being able to spawn thing, I can imagine groups setting up lots in the NWAF for example making sure no one gets in but for the others I'm all for, or perhaps just a simple radio to communicate, and find batteries for it when the power runs low.

Edited by LVG

I don't think blocking spawn is a good idea. This could easily be exploited and choosing to spawn at the edge could have dire consequences.

Proposed idea: The radio tower gives the owner a radar showing nearby players and zombies and beeps or makes some kind of audible tone when it detects someone. The tower is stationary when deployed but could be moved. The benefit of this would be that it shows players loading in before they fully load in allowing you to kill or at least be ready for them thus preventing ghosting. To prevent this from beeing completely overpowered maybe it shouldn't detect prone players, giving them the ability to sneek up on the camper.

• Like 2

The purpose of this only seems to be stopping people logging in. I can just see these being spammed at hotspots and groups of bandits controlling areas.

There wouldn't be any definite hotspots without a spawn.

I see how this could go well if player-built base(public one like trade market) gets more activated.

Or, you could also make the zombies no longer spawn anymore.

Then you could make player-controlled towns possible.

However there should be some challenges before making zombies non-spawnable(maybe zombie horde attracted to generator? then you would have to kill all the zombies then the zombies won't spawn anymore unless the radio tower turns off

I am really shaky on this whole idea but if its range is to far, say 1km+, there will be some serious issues with logging in. I can see a team setting up a 5km radius of these things around the airfield with a small hole right in the middle where anybody who tried to log in would be shuffled right into the middle. At the rate of people who probably log in near the airfield, I can see this happening easily. This would be manageable with 8 people or so . For the first little while everyone sets up 3 of the 24 or so radio towers necessary that they have looted and stockpiled. Then two people watch the inner area where people will be funneled into, four people run around to the generators filling them up, and two more people take vehicles constantly refilling jerry cans. Everybody who logs into nearly an eighth of the map, a fairly populated area of the map, gets destroyed.

What if, instead of 'pushing' login attemps to the outer ring of a radius. The Radiotower emits a destinguishable sound when someone logs in within the radius. Alerting the player's who are being ghosted to the presense of a ghoster. It will not tell them where the ghosting player has logged in, just that someone has within its variable radius. This way it gives the advantage to the players who took the time to setup the Radiotower because they will be on alert. Instead of alerting the ghoster that they are on the right track. It should only emit a sound once per player login, and not detect players entering the area on foot.

I feel this might be a better implementation of a Radiotower because this turns the Radiotower into a tool you will want to bring with you and setup when you are raiding for supplies, instead of something you might want to horde many of and place down all at once creating a "blackout grid" preventing login's in a large portion of the game world.

So basically, this is a system that gives players the option to create a no spawn zone.

But I think your mechanic is too elaborate. It's a problem everybody has. The problem doesn't only exist for clans with camps. It's an exploit and it needs more general solutions, instead of a solution that you have to find and create in the world.

What about giving players a standard no spawn zone of a 100/200 meters. It's just a standard with the same function. Groups can fortify a perimeter by spreading out. You'll never have any problems again. Every player knows what to do when there is an accidental log out. etc.

When a players attempts to spawn on another player he is either given the option to abort or to wait. And have a timer set for like 2 minutes before a player gets the option to log in outside of that zone. Or earlier when the other player leaves. (not likely in 2 minutes, but possible).

Edit:

Things you can do is for example warning players when this happens (a spawn outside your perimeter) with things you find and create in the world. Like a radio that crackles or beeps, whatever.

And you can expand on it with radiotowers as if they are a static player.

You can go all directions. But I don't want to be 'succesful' in the world before I get shielded from exploits.

Edited by PointAndClick
  • Like 5

I do like the idea, but I feel there should be some way to prevent it from being exploited. As in,

"LOL dude, we've got nothing else to do in this game, so why don't we horde as much radio tower as we can and set them up systematically in as many places as we can, because we're just dicks like that!"

But your idea does have potential, I must say.

I could imagine 8 bandits setting up radio towers at all the spawns and causing everyone to spawn in the ocean somehow.

Edited by Gaidoon

Honestly the only thing this will do is say, "HEY EVERY ONE, I'M CAMPING HERE".

What we really need is a charm sound spawn on you every time you log in. This sound could have say a 10 meter radius. This way, if you ghost in somewhere stupid where you know you have the unfair advantage.. say inside a building behind some one... they will know first since they can hear the charm of where you are logging in. Only this will completely deter ghosting. This will also deter server hopping from barracks to barracks looking for the best gear, etc.

Edited by CBR1000rider

The towers should have more benefits like active global chat to those individuals who can access it while running, this would make maintence worth it. Along with preventing ghosting. It could also slow down zombie spawns? It will take a good amount of gas and storage space so make this thing a valued and somewhat rate commodity.

Also, make it small enough to fit under camo netting for bases. To be fair, it should have a fly effect like dead bodies do while powered. Generators are very loud when on.

This is a really good idea, an addition I would like: having the "radio" item (already dropping from military zombies) also be able to "tune" it into the frequency of a radio tower, everyone having that radio can then spawn in the radio tower radius. You would have the option in the radio tower to change the encoding, making already "tuned" radios useless on that tower.

With this, friends can spawn under radio towers, but if a bandit kills one of the friends and they don't quickly change the encoding, he can spawn among them, making the possibility of backstabbing still possible, but only when you're not careful.

Maybe one would need to add the radio to residential lootspawns to make it more available to people.

What do you think?

MEH

why not just make it add 10 sec to the login time for the ghoster,give him a fair warning about the radiostation and let that radiostation give a signal to the perosn who set it up that someone is spawning in?

fireplaces would either be useless or better than something that requires fuel and high end items.

place 4 of them on the corners of a sqaure ( or 9 or 16 or whatever) and people can only spawn in death zone between the 4 circles.

Edited by leo235

Sounds like a great idea for basebuilding, but not as a permanent mechanic to prevent ghosting out in the world, carrying around a radiotower, a generator and jerry cans just isn't going to happen.

So yes, great feature as long as you continue to address the ghosting/logging out in combat issues in other ways.

To me this seems to be a roundabout and strange (radiotowers preventing login) solution to a problem that could be prevented by prohibiting A > B > A server hopping within, lets say, 20 minutes. On the other hand, setting up radiotowers to enable long distance communication would be great, but doesn't seem to be discussed much in this context.

How about this to prevent people accidentally stumbling in on each other on login:

For each person within a 50 meter radius the area in which other players can't login is increased by 1.8. Example:

1 person within 50 meters. Anyone can login outside of a 2 meter radius (the suggested default) from this person.

2 people, closest login 3,6 meter away from averaged center of these two people.

3 = 6,5 m

4 = 11.7 m

5 = 21 m

6 = 37,8

7 = 68 m

8 = 122,4 m

9 = 220,4 m

10 = 396,7 meters

11 = 714,1 meters.

and so on...

Probably there should be some upper limit to this.

So how could this be implemented? Instead of checking every person alive on the server for vicinity of others (which could lead to heavy calculations chaining around all of Chernarus) you check within a 50 meter radius of the person logging in. Then the average position of all people within this area is calculated and the player who is logging in is moved away from this averaged center. The distance moved is calculated according to the number of people in the 50 meter radius, as described above.

Of course ocean and other "bad" positions would need to be handled.

Edited by Resident Emil

the problem i see with this is that in a long run the whole map could end up being swamped with portable radios and could end up being worse the barbed wire being every were due to carless players

so maybe the thought of using relay stations instead

you could have a group of players to go and power a radio tower then the group or anouther group could go off and set up a relay station and tune the relay station so the signal is bounced to and from the radio tower

the relay staitions could have a signal radius so you have to be within a certian range of the radio tower for the first relay station to work and ever over relay station could bounce the signal of anouther relay station provided they have been tuned right

then players would have to go and find radios to communicate with others

this could maybe only require 6 relay stations to be set up for players across the map to communicate provided they have a radio

the idea sounds good, but how about fixing zombies first?

Rather than change where a person spawns, I like the idea of a radio drop which could drop in any loot space.

When a player logs in for the first time to a server it sends out a ping, anyone with a radio within a certain radius will hear a squak. When you log out it starts a catalogue, logging into another server will send out the same squak. If you log into another server after that within 10 minutes, it sends out a 3 squak pulse, alerting anyone who hears it that the person who joined has been on multiple servers. If you log back into a previous server within a 10 min window after being in a different one, it sends out the 3 squaks plus any player with a radio will hear increased static when they are facing the person's login position. Static lasts 15 seconds.

So:

Login = squak 50m

Position farming = 3 squaks (possibly adding an additional squak for each server visited within the last 30 mins, so a person with 3 might just be unlucky with servers, but a person with 5 or 6 is definitly abusing the system) 50m +10 for each server visited.

Ghosting = alert plus loss of position advantage. 300m

Radio would have a 5% drop rate from any pile and fits on toolbelt.

Also, I think they should just code into the game that Alt-F4 (when fully logged in) just kills your character.

Edited by Ampoliros

I dislike this idea, it defeats immersion.  Instead of playing in a zombie survival genre I'm now in a more Matrix-like atmosphere where I'm trying to fight people who can dial-in and dial-out of the server.  (sadly, it is a bit like that now...)

Players will be running "interdiction fields" like in the ship battles in Star Wars where they force other ships to be unable to jump to light speed.  Run into a loot area, light a fireplace, loot, kill, and run out.  Or better yet, kill the fire, and disconnect yourself.  None of that feels authentic, or like an original intention, for a fireplace.

The fix for ghosting needs to be passive and absolute, not active and dynamic... and definitely not controllable by other players in my opinion.

If you want to create no-spawn-zones (say, for airfields, military areas) then have them ALWAYS be no-spawn-zones.  That way no one can spawn in, everyone has to walk.  If you spawn out in them by disconnecting, you come back in with the last place the database could save you with the 5 min unconsciousness and maybe some other penalty.

I'm glad there are thoughts and discussions about this, I just disagree with this particular method, there's got to be better ways of managing "occupation."

The issue i see with either radio towers or fire's is that you will need a lot of equipment (and possibly) people to accomplish battling ghosters. While i do understand it can be a problem in fixed locations, like for example the Airfields and the Main cities. Which will give either side the option to realy set up a base somewhere and other the drive to take it down (aka. group play, f/e friendlies taking over Elektro by blocking out spawns for hoppers and bandits) ... but, i think just setting a perimiter isn't enough, if your spawnpoint happens to be blocked this way, then ones option should be to spawn at the beach or goto another server. And i don't think this is harsh, see, if you are not around to defend your spawnpoint (aka. you are sleeping/not logged in) than it's fairly reasonable to assume you either been captured or just slain in your sleep as this group came in to set up this radio tower. You may have been able to take one or two down with you but thats about it, and afterwards you would spawn at the beach with no stuff at all... so IF your spawn is compromised at this particular server, you get the option to spawn at the beach and keep your stuff, or you goto a server where this location isn't compromized...

But the ghosting problem isn't just a problem there, it occurs everywhere and everywhen in the game, so there should be an easy to obtain item that gives a player the time to get away from a location someone else just alt+F4 outof, and my first thought was Flares, these only last 5min, so they only cause a fairly short period to block of an area for spawn, but at the same time, they give enough time to get out of that location and perhaps even to a good location to take off this person as (s)he tries to ghost back in. Flares are also so commen that everybody can have 'ghost' protection on them after the 1st or 2nd building they loot.

A third thing that just dropped in my mind, it would be kinda cool if this radio tower could be modified to send out a signal that prevents Infected from spawning in a certain radius. Not prevent them from comming in if lured or drawn by loud noises. But clear spawning would be nice, that would give friendlies and bandits the option to set up relative safe zones. While a safe zone might brush against some people's hairs, on the other hand it's exactly what people will do (and have done through the ages), build something that keeps nasties out. Seeing buildings and barbedwire doesn't do much, as the infected just glitch through them, setting up a radiotower with an Infected Modification would atleast create a relative safe zone. What does need to happen though is that gas/petrol becomes limited in supply, meaning that this Infected repellant can only run so long, it will have people organize raiding parties to nearby gasstations in order to keep them running, etc...

Perhaps a radiotower can only run in one mode, either repell spawning of people or repel spawning of Infected. In which case a choice has to be made, you can still somewhat secure your base with barbed wire, and other items to create a somewhat save area from people, or when you run two towers, you burn through fuel twice as fast.

PS. Now that a generator is planned, it would also be nice if we can run lights off of it, this will help setting up safe zones at night, where you'll be able to see people comming in and can inquire them of their motives, or shoot them on sight...

Edited by L0GIN

Secondly. I'd like to start supporting active communities basing out of different servers.

Especially those active by helping them setup camps / bases . This would mostly be cosmetic things, but could be such things as camo netting in forests and tents.

Pros / cons ?

I think its too early for this, as DayZ in it current version is not "friendship/team play" ready...

I posted this once and I dont think that anyone cares...

Edited by DooM4MR