Ander (DayZ)

Some feature ideas requesting feedback

If its an ANTI server hopping tool so people couldn't just spawn on you while you attack a certain area. Then it does have uses for bandits, and more specific bandit groups. But overall its use would mean less with the amount of work it would take and space it would take just to get it up, and there is no guarantee that it would even matter. I think this is a MINOR issue compared to people DC'ing during fights.

Don't really get how a fireplace is supposed to stop someone from logging in a 100-200m radius. Seems like an arbitrary way to prevent ghosting.

Radio tower seems like a good way to impliment walkie talkies on private channels. Better yet, can also act as a jamming device for those using voip within the radius of the tower.

A definate yes from me, for camo netting! will make camp sites alot better :D

why not go the opposite way? we all know where all the radio towers will be placed.

how about this instead: you spawn on your radio tower when you log in (or tent, since these are easier to find and set up). meaning, the game will no longer save your current location, and every time you log in you're placed near your tent/radio tower/whatever. of course this would mean tents would have to be tied to the player and only appear on the server when he/she is online. like I said it doesn't have to be tents.

solves a number of problems (also, creates interesting situations, these "tents" should be destroyable, meaning its owner would spawn on the shore on his next log in attempt)

but even your way of doing it is a step in the right direction, me likey

Edited by sorophx

Don't you think it's a fair tradeoff?

Player who dont want to be ghosted can avoid this by placing such objects - im sure the ghoster could find out where the player is long before hand.

On the other hand, players who do login will be given a warning.

I suppose it's a fair enough tradeoff. If people really don't want to give their location away, they just won't place this equipment.

I like the idea but im going to suggest a mod of your idea ander. Place them at military camps as scenery (non player usable). To prevent people server hopping straight in to say...the barracks at NWA and the military camp at stary. The idea of lugging it around taking up precious loot space means people with vehicles are the only ones likely to use them.

I like the idea but im going to suggest a mod of your idea ander. Place them at military camps as scenery (non player usable). To prevent people server hopping straight in to say...the barracks at NWA and the military camp at stary. The idea of lugging it around taking up precious loot space means people with vehicles are the only ones likely to use them.

Using the items is a tradeoff.

For one part - added security since nobody will login behind you and pop in the head, on other hand you'll have to secure perimeter and post spotters as people "could" know you are there.

Thanks for the info, and i posted in that thread as well.

As for the idea I think with some tweaks is would be a cool feature but I have to admit it frustrates me when you want impliment something a user has to deploy to fix something that shouldn't be in the game in first place.

good idea. but wat about a implementing it slightly differently.

instead of a large radio tower that you have to deploy, maybe you could have a small "walkie talkie" radio that you can have active while you are travelling. it uses batteries (substitute for fuel) and you have to find them.

you want this device active when you are travelling near stary or NWAF for example. its range of blocking would be a lot smaller than the original idea.

perhaps we could have both. a big ass deployable radio that can only be used while you are in one area setting up defences. and another which you can walk around with that has a smaller range and the centre of the circle moves as you move.

This would be a good way to stop server hopping into the barracks for people who farm. I think it is a cool idea for the farming type, but there are probably better things to spend the resources on.

And to prevent thinking like this, maybe items cannot spawn there either?

So it wont turn into:

Login > run to barracks > turn on tower+generator (farming equipment) > turn on farming mode

Login > run to barracks > place campfire (farming equipment) > turn on farming mode

Not bad idea. Of course, ghosting is really bad thing that should to be removed from this game. But, on the other hand, its not really good just to give player "choice to spawn at edge of radius". What if he dont want to spawn in this radius? First of all, if player set radiotower near high traffic areas, knowing a radius of the broadcast, he can calculate the areas in which players will appear that will give him a big advantage. Also, there is really big thing that must be considered - how radio tower will interact with each other. I mean - what if group of players will make something like a "wall"/"triagle"/etc. from radiotowers? I think people will use them more for tricks/ambushes than for real protecting from ghosting. So, there is a lot of special things and situations that must to be considered.

P.S. Sorry about my English, I hope you can catch my idea!

Edited by karatel

Great idea, however I would also give the player who set up the radio tower a warning if someone logs in in the range of the tower.

Like a short beep or something just so he knows someone logged back in.

That will give the player the chance to find the ghoster and take him out.

Edited by DomiStyle

I like the idea of the radio towers, but a smart person wouldn't use them...

Think about it, if your told your about to spawn inside a radio tower range, you naturally choose to spawn on the edge of it, and you naturally head in the direction of the signals. Which would lead you to the source and potentially a survivor campsite. The only thing that may be good for is keeping server hoppers off your back, but only for a very short time.

I do hope you give the option for the cosmetic mods for campsites ^_^. Tents surrounded by trucks and cars just don't feel like home eh.

worst case scenario; say a group amasses an ungodly amt of supplies to erect enough fireplaces/towers to block out the whole server. or, hackers use this to shut off access to servers. maybe limit the proximity of the fireplaces/towers placement, so as not to possibly block out large sections, or the whole map. with rampant hacking as is, i can see this as a way for those buttheads to make servers completely inaccessible. thoughts?

I really like the idea regarding the fireplace, giving it more value than just cooking something. A fireplace out in the real world automatically gives you safety against animals, provides you warmth and generally is something people like to be close to, basically the fireplace and radio towers just symbolize two different sheltered areas.

The radio tower itself is kind of strange in comparison. Instead of the high night visibility of the fireplace you instead have a generator (probably making noise) + a highly visible daylight structure - if its anywhere near the smaller radio towers like that one just behind Chernogorsk. Maybe add some blinking red light on its top, then I'd be ok with it.

Also if the fireplace provides a no-login zone of 100m, I'd expect a radio tower to easily cover 1500-3000m - similar to CB radio.

Generally I think this is a good approach to enabling player (fireplace) /team based (radio tower) safe zones.

worst case scenario; say a group amasses an ungodly amt of supplies to erect enough fireplaces/towers to block out the whole server. or, hackers use this to shut off access to servers. maybe limit the proximity of the fireplaces/towers placement, so as not to possibly block out large sections, or the whole map. with rampant hacking as is, i can see this as a way for those buttheads to make servers completely inaccessible. thoughts?

As far as I understood, you'd always be spawned to the borders of the radiotower / fireplace covering the area you first wanted to spawn in. Your spawn wouldn't move from one covered area to the next on and on until you spawn way outside of the map.

Edited by Lukio
  • Like 1

I like it though it would need to be balanced.

Edited by Gaidoon

Something important to mention:

The fireplace MUST have a much smaller radius than the tower, due to the relative ease of finding wood as opposed to fuel for keeping generators running. Radio towers would also have to be worth it, effectively blocking out a decent-sized radius.

Other than that...I fucking love this idea.

Radio towers/generators should take damage from small arms, making ranged attacks still viable. However, if they are vunerable to ranged attacks, you will likely have coordinated sniper attacks, along with assaulter logins, ruining people's day.

Increase their performance at night. aka an incentive for more people to play at night.

Is it possible for radio towers to effect other mechanics in the game, such as zombies or loot piles, without a hit on performance?

Having a no zombie spawn area would allow alot of people to pick some nice spots in the game as bases. This will bring people out the the north forests more. Possibly make it so loot piles dont respawn, but i'll leave that one in the air for some other opinions.

I like the idea but nothing like telling the player logging in that there is someone for them to kill nearby.

How would it handle friends logging in?

What if I get dc'ed and can't back to my spot now because this is running?

I thought the same. This will warn of the existence of radio towers and fireplaces

Edited by kovalhuk

On the note of giving us cosmetics for our camps, if there's a way, I'd love to have "tree branches" or "brush" to help hide tents and vehicles.

Radio tower should beep loudly if a player does log in so those who deployed it know to start looking out.

I'd rather the towers stop people from logging out instantly within their radius then logging in.

That could be offset by logging out at a fire.

To my mind, the biggest issue is logging out in a firefight/with zombie aggro to avoid death. You can stop server-hoppers on your home server simply by camping the places people server-hop to. (NWAF/Stary tents/etc)