nahaz

[Guide] How to set up your graphics properly

You should probably add that shadows on Normal will run it on the CPU and High/very high will run on the GPU (soo depending on where your bottleneck is)

You probably also want to add "increasing audio samples" to avoid dying, even tho it is a small CPU hit ;)

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1; doesn't change anything, "written by engine each start, changing it manually has no effect!"

And WTH, you didn't turn off AToC? Doesn't matter I suppose, since you turn off AA.

Lastly, Arma runs on a weird engine, that actually runs better with Vsync turned on (on:32 FPS vs off:30 FPS in the OA benchmark)

http://community.bis...#Generic_config

Edited by Tweakie

I have explained that settings below high are on CPU, it's not just for shadows.

vsync might improve for some people, it's usually a tool to avoid fluctuating FPS by giving it a roof that matches your refresh rate (which is vertical sync time).

The GPU settings are not written by engine each start. I have done several tests and they still remain on =1 as I set them, I have received a boost in FPS (doubled it) even when running on my resolution (5760x1200) and most settings on highest.

I have often found the BI Wiki outdated on several areas, especially configuration. It's alot better to consult forums according to my expiernce and testing.

Edited by Nahaz

hey guys. i have a pretty strong computer, so i barely changed any settings. i just wanted to try out your "advanced settings" advice, to increase my fps. i changed the lines to 1 in both files, but i dont get over 6 fps, no matter how i change the other settings. it doesnt change wheter the graphics are very high or very low. somethings broken :x

hey guys. i have a pretty strong computer, so i barely changed any settings. i just wanted to try out your "advanced settings" advice, to increase my fps. i changed the lines to 1 in both files, but i dont get over 6 fps, no matter how i change the other settings. it doesnt change wheter the graphics are very high or very low. somethings broken :x

how strong is your gpu?

how strong is your gpu?

Intel Core i7 - 2700K CPU 3,50GHz

8GB memory

AMD Radeon HD 6800

Yea, servers affect client side FPS. Try around on different servers, low population ones where there are low strain on the server are the best to try out what your possible FPS can be.

I usually play on my server and I have good fps when it's full, other good servers I visit are LU 15 and DE 75 so try any of those.

Lighting and bloom effects are coupled with motion blur in the postprocess option, not HDR. HDR is high definition rendering only.

any tips anyone can give for a laptop user (mine is really bad at playing games haha) like what resolution to use and such? when i play day-z i can barely move -.- and its unplayable atm.

plz help :o

Edited by tbs95

Lighting and bloom effects are coupled with motion blur in the postprocess option, not HDR. HDR is high definition rendering only.

In my testing HDR changes how lightning and bloom effects displays, it might be that postprocessing changes them even more, but I turn that off due to motion blur messing up distance vision pretty bad.

A good example is on nighttime. Have low HDR on at first, then set it to high and watch the results.

any tips anyone can give for a laptop user (mine is really bad at playing games haha) like what resolution to use and such? when i play day-z i can barely move -.- and its unplayable atm.

plz help :o

What is your hardware specs? Most laptops don't have a GPU that's strong enough to handle Arma well.

Your thread is getting more success then mine even though mine was more detailed lol. Oh well.

I skimmed through your thread and all I can point out is readability so I guess it's all about presentation. Details don't necessary make it better though, most people just want the results. I like to keep it simple because of that. Those who want to know more will find out more by themselves on forums more suited for that kind of interest.

• Like 1

y. it really was a serverside problem. didnt even think about changing servers because i couldnt imagine that you can lose fps because of the server. thanks for the help thou. the advanced setting advice really did help :)

Updated main post with info about server and client performance

uhhh how do i find out my hardware specs? the only thing i can see is the little sticker on my computer and it says intel core 2 duo processor and 4 gb of memory, and 320gb hard drive

oh and the bit about changing the .cfg parts to 1 almost makes the game playable XD it brough my fps from like 1 to 10 lol. and thats with the graphics terribly low, is there anything else i can do to reduce lag?

and the guy above said most laptops dont have a GPU strong enough to handle arma II im assuming that means like graphics card, would that be something i could upgrade by buying a new one?

Edited by tbs95

uhhh how do i find out my hardware specs? the only thing i can see is the little sticker on my computer and it says intel core 2 duo processor and 4 gb of memory, and 320gb hard drive

oh and the bit about changing the .cfg parts to 1 almost makes the game playable XD it brough my fps from like 1 to 10 lol. and thats with the graphics terribly low, is there anything else i can do to reduce lag?

and the guy above said most laptops dont have a GPU strong enough to handle arma II im assuming that means like graphics card, would that be something i could upgrade by buying a new one?

Since it's a laptop you can't upgrade your GPU. Your option is to look at new hardware. I guess you have Intel integrated graphics and those are just not up to par. If you want a laptop I suggest looking at Asus G-series or MSI gaming laptops, to my experiences they are good and give quite a bang for your buck. originpc.com and xoticpc.com provide some more customisable laptop options but will probably end up a bit more expensive, not neccesarily though.

Glad to see it helped!

(Updated main post)

Since it's a laptop you can't upgrade your GPU. Your option is to look at new hardware. I guess you have Intel integrated graphics and those are just not up to par. If you want a laptop I suggest looking at Asus G-series or MSI gaming laptops, to my experiences they are good and give quite a bang for your buck. originpc.com and xoticpc.com provide some more customisable laptop options but will probably end up a bit more expensive, not neccesarily though.

k i will look into it! thanks for the suggestion and info :) any ball park as to the cost?

I can't answer for the cost since it differs quite alot depending on where you live, I only know pricing on the swedish market.

some of these might come in handy for some people

cmd line stuff :-

-nosplash (removes the BIS splash at start up)

-winxp (this on helps low end systems)

-world=empty (speeds up the loading process by loading an empty world)

-maxMem=2047 (if ya gona use this ya need to read up on it in the BIS forums)

-cpuCount=6 (lets you to tell the game how many cores to use)

ingame stuff :-

options/gameoptions

aiming deadzone = 0

head bob = 0

This is worth reading specially the arma2 and arma2 arrowhead sections

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg

AToC is a good thing to play around with for visuals

• Like 2

Will I be able to get 30-40+ fps?

My specs:

Pentium® Dual-Core 2.10GHz

4GB

Geforce GT220M

I have around 20 fps, after tweaking alot of stuff, i just wanna know... is it possible for me to get around 40 fps?

Updated main post with info about server and client performance

Can you clarify this for me, how exactly does the server impact the clients pc performances?

• Like 1

Thankyou for this informative topic, it helped me greatly with my FPS problem. So much better now and very little times now do my FPS drop out.