Achmed (DayZ)

Remove the pseudo-dynamic weather script

The "pseudo-dynamic weather script" makes every day in Chernarus foggy as hell, thus, making gameplay absolutely inadequate for snipers and bandits, cause maximum visibility is 500 meters. Usual visibility is 300-400.

Please either remove it completely or reduce the fog "possibility" and thickness.

Example:

Here the closest town is 1500m away (center)' date=' church to the left 1800m and the tower 2700m.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/IOajy.jpg

And this is what we see currently in DayZ...

FYaQR.jpg

This. I don't care about sniping but the visibility is now NEVER over this magical 500m limit. Impossible to observe distant locations and navigating without a compass is pain in the ass when you don't see the landscape far enough.

I am used to over 5km viewdistances in GOOD weather. I don't understand why the viewdistance is locked to this ridiculously low limit with the weather script.

What you mean is that it used to be over 500m before the last patch?

I'm asking because i didn't notice this before.

I've noticed it's very foggy during the days yes. Unfortunately playing almost exclusively at night because I can't during the day (life) I don't notice it as much.

Clouds (Though not enough to block the stars) at night need to be consistently visible to navigate somewhere, otherwise if you're in a forest it's black on black, and not fun.

The "pseudo-dynamic weather script" makes every day in Chernarus foggy as hell' date=' thus, making gameplay absolutely inadequate for snipers and bandits, cause maximum visibility is 500 meters. Usual visibility is 300-400.

Please either remove it completely or reduce the fog "possibility" and thickness.

[/quote']

Alright, I'm first going to give you the answer a lot of suggestion threads get: "kkbbye carebear, l2P or go bck to LFD2, n00b" (or something alike). Funnily enough, I think that's one of the first time it really applies :)

Now, as a real answer, I don't see why the weather system should be removed JUST so that you could see better for sniping, that doesn't make any sense and it goes against the very idea of this mod.

What's next, remove night time? or wait, do you play with gamma cranked up and/or always on day time servers?

So, no, huge big no. Maybe make sure the weather system is handled properly if one weather pattern is more present than others, but that's it.

As for the visibility line, I'm pretty sure that in clear weather, I can see way further than 500m.

The "pseudo-dynamic weather script" makes every day in Chernarus foggy as hell' date=' thus, making gameplay absolutely inadequate for snipers and bandits, cause maximum visibility is 500 meters. Usual visibility is 300-400.

[/quote']

Alright, I'm first going to give you the answer a lot of suggestion threads get: "kkbbye carebear, l2P or go bck to LFD2, n00b" (or something alike). Funnily enough, I think that's one of the first time it really applies :)

Now, as a real answer, I don't see why the weather system should be removed JUST so that you could see better for sniping, that doesn't make any sense and it goes against the very idea of this mod.

What's next, remove night time? or wait, do you play with gamma cranked up and/or always on day time servers?

So, no, huge big no. Maybe make sure the weather system is handled properly if one weather pattern is more present than others, but that's it.

As for the visibility line, I'm pretty sure that in clear weather, I can see way further than 500m.

This.

Next time he'll asks the devs to remove the zombies because they annoys him when he snipes.

Chernarus is based on post-Soviet country (mostly Czech Republic), and the weather there is clearly NOT bright sunny day every time. The fog is not a surprise with a cold weather like that.

For all these stupids/trolls who think I was suggesting "removing night time and/or zombies", - I only suggest either removing the pseudo-dynamic weather script OR reducing the fog. For Czech weather read wiki.

Scoped weapons are completely useless with EVERY day foggy.

I seriously suggest you learn to play. I could go into a tirade on how terrible this suggestion is but my first sentence sums it up nicely.

Basically, you said something along the lines of, "The game makes my life hard. Devs should make it easy."

My reply, "Deal with it."

Clearly you haven't played before the weather script was included. And you haven't played vanilla Arma either.

If you think the fog is just fine on a clear sunny day, everywhere, and not just in the valleys, maybe you should go to play silent hill.

Here the closest town is 1500m away (center), church to the left 1800m and the tower 2700m.

IOajy.jpg

And this is what we see currently in DayZ...Facepalm.

FYaQR.jpg

And don't you think it is because of a server issue ? More viewdistance means more load and more lag.

Sure, 500 meters may be short, but it's one of the thing that keeps the server running correctly (and seeing how laggy some servers are with that option, that's saying something).

Also, thumbs up for Achmed who gives negative rating to everyone who don't agree with him !

Actually, it can go both ways due to the multiple LODs that are present at different view distances. A higher view distance can actually equal better performance than low view distances. I don't want to go into it, but it's true.

Edit: I'm all for high view distances. It's horrible right now, sometimes at 200m view distances. It's just so fucking unrealistic to have that much fog ALL THE FUCKING TIME. While I'm mad, I might as well say that it rains more in Chernarus than it does in fucking Seattle.

Dammit, I really hope they don't increase the view distance, It would break my poor core 2 duo's heart.

Just tweak it so the weather is clear most of the time, but heavy fog and rain happen occasionally.

Rocket said he wants weather to play a bigger role in the game, so I'm sure he will look into the weather script when more critical issues are fixed.

And don't you think it is because of a server issue ? More viewdistance means more load and more lag.

Sure' date=' 500 meters may be short, but it's one of the thing that keeps the server running correctly (and seeing how laggy some servers are with that option, that's saying something).[/quote']The more you see, the worse the lag is. But it's client-side lag, not server-side. This is not Counter-Strike, it's ArmA, view distance should be at least 2-3 kilometers in a sunny day.

Sure' date=' 500 meters may be short, but it's one of the thing that keeps the server running correctly (and seeing how laggy some servers are with that option, that's saying something).[/quote']The more you see, the worse the lag is. But it's client-side lag, not server-side. This is not Counter-Strike, it's ArmA, view distance should be at least 2-3 kilometers in a sunny day.

I don't see your reasoning why that would be true. Greater vd can mean better performance in some cases.

Pffft my graphics card doesn't like the game engine, so that second screenshot looks about the only thing i could get anyway XD

Yeah, the fog you're seeing is (I think) just the server limited view distance of 500m. It's really awful. :(

It makes navigation harder, it makes admiring the scenery harder, and, most irritating of all, it makes sniping other players harder. :)

Wonderfully ironic!

I think that this stuff should be variable. But what if the setup is that this all takes place in a foggier than you expected place, then what?

The irony, of course, is now that the shoe is on the other foot, the people that want to just shoot other players at 500 or 700 meters suddenly want things bent away from the supposed required "realism" just to accommodate them. Very amusing.

Hell, have it foggier in the new player areas and clearer most of the time farther inland/north.

L

I do believe there should be times where it goes past the 500m limit, but it does balance the game for snipers.

Make the weather more variable, fog in the early morning rises to complete visibility past/around mid day, then settles back in for night.

In this day and age it's not difficult to make a variable random. Just do that every few hours making the whether foggy, rainy or clear. Atm it's always foggy and occasionally rainy - this makes it boring imo. I'm just one though, what do you all think?

Yea I am getting pretty sick of it ALWAYS being foggy. I don't mind a bit of weather from time to time but that has to include clear skies and full viability too.

I think they put in the fog so bandits wouldnt sit on a mountain overlooking a big town (for example, the big hill near the factory at elektro) and kill people easily with sniper..