Ozast

Hatchets as a secondary weapon (pistol slot)

*sigh* Do you really think you'd get on with trying to hold a rifle in one hand and a whacking great 20Kg+ axe in the other? Axes are heavy, and requires a two-arm swing to use. Running around twiling an axe around your head while pumping out winchester rounds is just not realistic or even sensible.

Your character is a survivor, not Conan the fricking Warrior.

Also, melee was hacked into the game, it's just a ultra-short-ranged projectile weapon hence the need to "reload" the axe when first equipping, it having 99999 'swings' available to it and the sound/smoke effect of a gun when you swing it.

Have you ever swung a hatchet or an ax? They're pretty light, you'd have to be a child to not be able to swing those effectively with one hand. I'd understand your argument from a point of game-balance, the ax in the secondary would allow people to snipe all day long, then creep into town and silently eliminate zeds on their way to the loot. But arguing that you wouldn't be able to lift/swing an ax with one hand makes 0 sense; we aren't wielding battle-axes.

Plus, if the haft is too long, you can always saw it in half and make a nice tomahawk.

• Like 1

*sigh* Do you really think you'd get on with trying to hold a rifle in one hand and a whacking great 20Kg+ axe in the other? Axes are heavy, and requires a two-arm swing to use. Running around twiling an axe around your head while pumping out winchester rounds is just not realistic or even sensible.

Also, melee was hacked into the game, it's just a ultra-short-ranged projectile weapon hence the need to "reload" the axe when first equipping, it having 99999 'swings' available to it and the sound/smoke effect of a gun when you swing it.

I don't remember op suggesting dual wielding. The suggestion is to make the axe a secondary weapon like pistols.

also +1 to make it secondary slot weapon.

Apologies, I misunderstood what the OP was saying.

After discovering for myself tonight that you cannot use the hatchet while you have a rifile on your person I retract my statement! Yes, it would indeed be nice to be able to switch between rifle & hachet without having to drop the rifle :)

Great idea. I think the knife should also be equipable like the hatchet.

Equiping a hatchet from the toolbelt was and is a pain in the ass. It is in fact the biggest problem I have with Day Z. Tis extremelly annoying and cost me my life severa ltimes, but I understand it is due to engine limitations.

Of course, I wholeheartedly support this idea and hope the devs do something about it.

Would also be nice to have actual two handed axes, which you could pick up from tree stumps. Ah, one can dream :D

Edited by YourStepDad

Equiping a hatchet from the toolbelt was and is a pain in the ass. It is in fact the biggest problem I have with Day Z. Tis extremelly annoying and cost me my life severa ltimes, but I understand it is due to engine limitations.

Of course, I wholeheartedly support this idea and hope the devs do something about it.

Would also be nice to have actual two handed axes, which you could pick up from tree stumps. Ah, one can dream :D

When Hatchet was added to the game, the definition of "engine limitation" was redefined, so I think its possible.

I rather just see a 'melee' slot. I mean you can already store the hatchet on your toolbelt, pulling it from your toolbelt to your hands, while your gun is already on your shoulder should not cause nor force you to drop your 'primary' weapon.

I think that we should be able to shoulder our primary weapon and use the hatchet when needed.

• Like 1

I think that we should be able to shoulder our primary weapon and use the hatchet when needed.

Yup, I have mentioned this a few times.

Right now, if I want to use the hatchet, I have to either drop my primary, or put it in my pack.

I wouldn't be so hesitant to do either of those things, if it weren't so easy to lose them by either method.

I imagine this is something Rocket and the other devs are considering/aware of, but atm I either have to bite the bullet and shoot my weapon, or risk losing my primary for one or two stealth kills..

+1337 for this idea. :)

If you can place a hatchet on your toolbelt and use it to hack at a tree you should be able to quickly access it as a melee weapon. Your pistol is holstered, your rifle over your back, i dont see why it should take the place of your secondary.

But, in saying that to me a hatchet implies a small one handed axe, not a montrous two handed fire axe.

• Like 1

Maybe its possible to change the hatchets item category from "tool" to "handgun"

let it take up less inventory slots in the backpack than a secondary weapon, pistol takes 5, hatchet 2 or 3 ?

When equiped as a weapon use the fire selector to cycle through the different modes.

You know like you'd switch from semi-auto to auto to throw grenade, etc ... If you have the hatchet equipped then that would switch it from melee to chop wood.

Just thinking outside of the box here.

+1 to OP

I do not think it needs another special slot for melee however.

Players can pretty much establish that a primary weapon is for PvP, and sidearms are for Zeds. Using the hatchet as a replacement to the sidearm is a worthy alternative. That way, we can still retain a primary weapon for monsters of the human variety.

• Like 1

+1 def.

you should have the option to put your weapon on your back. it shouldn't disappear from your inventroy, it should remain in the main slot. now with your hands free you should be able to select sidearm, flashlight, hatchet, and i would love to see the hunting knife as a option as well, but make it really hard to kill a zed with it. 2-4 stabs maybe. this way you maintain all your gear while still being able to use it all.

+1

A hatchet is small enough to be wielded 1 handed, and small enough to be placed on the toolbelt witch is close to where a holster would be.

you could lower the damage on the hatchet if there is a balance issu with the explanation that it is now wielded one-handed.

Dude, it's a "hatchet" not a 20kg Axe. *sigh* What an idiot. A hatchet IS a one-handed weapon.

EDIT: I saw your retraction too late. Sorry. Anyway, we should definitely be able to use crowbar/hatchet without freaking dropping a rifle (or loading into pack if you have a big pack).

Edited by keep_pabst_blue

+1 totally agree to having the hachet in pistol slot, i prefer hachet to pistol for silent takedowns

This is somewhat related, but what if you could sneak up on Z's, and select a silent takedown as a scroll wheel action? It would only really work on the lumbering Z's - I can't see sneaking on hoppers or crawlers.

+1

It's possible but i don't know how difficult it would be to add. I'll post a pic later, somehow my upload site has problems saving the file.

Edited by Enforcer

Keep in mind that there used to be no melee system in this game, so we're lucky to even have the hatchet. It's fine where it is as a primary weapon, lest every pistol in the game be better off removed because no one would use them anymore.

HUH??? no one would use a pistol if the hachet became more useful? have you ever played this game? pretty sure you cant fight/hold off 4 zombies at close range with just a hachet. pistols are useful for that, as are other guns. hachet needs to be a sidearm or at least easier to carry alongside other guns.

if i run out of ammo, what do i do now?! cant hachet anything cause i dont have a hachet cause i cant carry it.

so its either play with HACHET only, or use a gun and run out of ammo and instantly die. makes it less fun in the long run