Ozast

Hatchets as a secondary weapon (pistol slot)

As we all know Dayz is in alpha stages of development, every new players problem is getting started but as myself and many others im sure have found out that once you have a gun sometimes it isn't really the perfect idea to use it.

Sometimes stealth and silent kills are needed in a given situation but who really wants to drop there rifle to wield there hatchet.

My suggestion is simple if there is a way, to change the hatchet to a secondary weapon so it can be equipped along side a main one so players have the choice of either fire first ask questions later or stealth.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 21

Yes this is extremely annoying. I'd like to be able to put my gun on my back like I normally do. I have no problem cutting down a tree while my rifle sits on my back, but why am I unable to swing it at a target?

i think this part needs love to either a extra slot for melee or the ability to equip it as a sub ie the pistol slot would be nice.

I think the extra melee slot is a good idea. Not sure how easy that would be to implement, though. What if when you right-click on a melee weapon (or flashlight) in your inventory, it gives you "Primary" and "Secondary" options so you can choose where to equip it? That would give maximum flexibility for different loadouts.

+1

We talked about this exact idea on skype, would totally be a game changer. I'm sure the only reason melee has some annoying features just now is because it was only just added.

+1 I love this idea, no reason to not do this. I like the melee slot as well but I don't think it could be implemented any time soon.

+1 def. really annoying. would love to see it implemented!

I'm pretty sure somewhere I read rockets post saying that unfortunately its not very likely possibility. As is the melee is somewhat "hacked" into the game, as I understand.

But I do agree that it would be awesome to have

Although a custom slot for it would be nice, it will take alot of custom coding.

As such, your idea is the second best. Hope it happens :)

The hatchet is mostly just there to hold you over until you can find an actual gun. It isn't meant to be a long-term solution. That said, it's an infinite-use, silent zombie killer. Yes it requires you to be in melee range, but that just means there's pros and cons to it. Do I want longer range and much stronger PvP viability of a primary gun, or do I want a fantastic zed-killer? If it was a secondary slot item, it'd be too much of a no brainer. No one really uses pistols for PvP anyway, they use them for zed killing. So why have a loud gun when you could just use the axe long-term?

Keep in mind that there used to be no melee system in this game, so we're lucky to even have the hatchet. It's fine where it is as a primary weapon, lest every pistol in the game be better off removed because no one would use them anymore.

That said, Rocket has commented about wanting to build his own inventory for Day Z; but it's probably something that will have to wait until it's a stand-alone game, or at least until the Arma 3 port. So maybe he fully intends that we'll have a melee-specific slot, a pistol slot, and a primary slot. Until then, though, the axe should be a primary.

maybe at least some kind of silent hand weapon? like the ability to equip the hunting knife?

very good idea.

I already suggested Hatchet to be used independent from weapon slots...

I dont know if it will happen...

Edited by DooM4MR

*sigh* Do you really think you'd get on with trying to hold a rifle in one hand and a whacking great 20Kg+ axe in the other? Axes are heavy, and requires a two-arm swing to use. Running around twiling an axe around your head while pumping out winchester rounds is just not realistic or even sensible.

Your character is a survivor, not Conan the fricking Warrior.

Also, melee was hacked into the game, it's just a ultra-short-ranged projectile weapon hence the need to "reload" the axe when first equipping, it having 99999 'swings' available to it and the sound/smoke effect of a gun when you swing it.

Edited by GeeksterDayZ
  • Like 1

*sigh* Do you really think you'd get on with trying to hold a rifle in one hand and a whacking great 20Kg+ axe in the other? Axes are heavy, and requires a two-arm swing to use. Running around twiling an axe around your head while pumping out winchester rounds is just not realistic or even sensible.

Also, melee was hacked into the game, it's just a ultra-short-ranged projectile weapon hence the need to "reload" the axe when first equipping, it having 99999 'swings' available to it and the sound/smoke effect of a gun when you swing it.

This is not an Axe, this is a hatchet, every house in the country have that to cut wood, and you can surely manage it with 1 hand.

so a big +1 !!! even if swapping to the hatchet is a 15 sec animation, but still, droping you weapon or even putting it in your bag is buggy and sometime result in the pure loss of the weapon which is really frustrating.

Edited by diad

Agreed.

It's not about using both weapon at the same time it's about being able to use hatchet as a weapon whilst having a rifle equipped. :-)

+1, I would prefer the hatchet indoors, but switching it is too risky since you might lose the rifle.. It's a good idea if the hatchet would go to pistol slot, or have a slot of its own. If someone thinks its too 'easy', then make the switching time abit longer.

I'd just like it to be less cumbersome to switch to a hatchet.

Is there a scripting language you can write in that will drop your weapon, then switch to hatchet?

If your weapon is slingable, you should be able to quickly switch to hatchet.