Sign in to follow this  
Kitrick

Side effects of Murdering

Short and to the point, I'd like to see something realistic added to represent the breakdown of your psyche should you go on a killing spree.

Maybe after a few kills, you begin to have auditory hallucinations. Was that a shot fired and hitting the ground near me? Or a twig breaking? Did I hear someone cough?

Deeper into the red, visual hallucinations. You see a player creeping towards you in the distance. You shoot a few rounds into it, just to have it disappear in a hazy cloud. Now you have just alerted everyone around you, shooting at a ghost of your tormented past.

Food and water doesn't seem to help as much as it used to, you find yourself hungry no matter how many tasty hidden morsels you find.

You could even take this further, and maybe have other effects for people with higher humanity. People that do good deeds are often talked about by word of mouth, perhaps easier to spot in peripherals? I haven't thought about that at all, just the murdering part.

Beans for thought.

I agree there psyche shouldn't be affected, though I have had ideas of murders, that I should and will later put all in one post.

1. After your initial spawn, every time you log in acts like your character has just waken up.

Every time you log in, within a certain radius your character will make 2-4 second sound effect that could potentially attract zombies if your close enough, but would mostly be for others players to hear you if you spawned within a building or are server hopping.

It would have a scale, the more murders you have, the louder the sound you make is to players and zombies, to a certain point where it would sound like you fired an enfield.

To make it logical, its like the murderer is having a nightmare, as you can't really control dreams and they can take you for a spin, so you wake up making slight pantings at first from your dream to waking up screaming if high enough murders, to just waking up with an insane yell as if you ever get to that point you should be a psycho.

And if you kill bandits you start having good dreams, or lessen your nightmare if you have murdered, to the point where it is now, where you make no noise, but it would take perhaps 5 bandits kills and no murders to get to that point.

2. Every time you murder or kill a bandit, their blood is on you, it will attract zombies.

Up to a max of say 20 player kills, you would essentially be soaked in blood and would attract zombies constantly around you as if you were firing an assault rifle or M1911.

Its effects would be varying depending on how many you have killed, as so would the visual so you know who the murders are, it may even make bandits look bad ass with all that blood on.

There would be no fading of the blood, except by changing clothes though that would only reduce your amount by a certain amount of blood murders each time, say by 5.

So you could potentially rid of it by constantly changing clothes, but your old clothes if put on would retain the 5 amount upon them.

There would be an item that is as rare as antibiotics that would clean all the blood off of you and your clothes.

Well those are my ideas.

Personally I think it would add alot to the game instead of just kill everyone.

As much as I hate murderers, I don't think murdering should be dealt with by systems like, 'humanity drops below X level you get X penalty' it seems lame. Murders are going to continue playing a large part of the game due to natural player 'Shoot first, ask questions later' paranoia anyway. What I feel would keep murder levels down is some kind of vigilante system where if you kill a bandit, people with murders to their name begin to have small red circles over them of varying brightness depending on your Vigilante level and/or on the level of murders a person has. Bring some law to Chernarus without totally murdering the murder system.

Rocket has said he doesnt wish to punish any one playstyle many times over

Have another think on a fair system and try again

Sorry i dont like this idea at all! hahahahahhaha some killers are perfectly fine with the psych and dont get all 'Deeper into the red' date=' visual hallucinations"

[/quote']

Current killers probably are. There are some people who would be completely fine with taking the life of someone else. Most people would not.

My guess is, your everyday average joe, would have some serious mental issues after taking the life of another person. Throw in the 'Zombie Apocalypse' and there are bound to be some serious psychotic breaks going on.

While I believe food and drink shouldn't be changed, I agree that hallucinations and hyper paranoia would follow a person around for a very long time after killing someone.

Hearing gunshots that aren't there, or even hearing a voice that you think comes from direct comms sounds fantastic.

Something needs to change to fix the KOS mentality and all the 30+ murder cherno serial killers. Whether that's direct action taken similar to this, or some kind of indirect, similar to my idea I posted awhile ago making Zombies hear gunshots much further than they do.

The argument of 'I'd kill everyone in a zombie apoc OMGZ LULZ" in itself is flawed in this case. No one knows what would happen if something like this really happened. My honest guess, everyone that would 'kill everyone' would be the first to die.

Killing and looting will only work oh so long in the real world. What happens when the food runs out and there are no more people to kill and take their stuff? You die alone in the woods from starvation.

TL;DR

+1 something like this should at least be tried in one patch. That's what Alpha is all about!

Simple and easy way to "punish" Murderers. the more they murder the more blood shows up on their skin. People who murder willy-nilly will be covered in blood while those who only do it for survival will have spatters here and there.

EDIT: Just seen Spectre's thread, something similar to that.

I disagree with this.

I have 11 murders atm and I already fall for the twig snap and birds flapping sound in the forest as being a gun shot.

And often mistake trees or shrubs to being a person.

The game makes me paranoid as it is..

I might end up in a mental institution because of it -.-

Rocket has said he doesnt wish to punish any one playstyle many times over

Have another think on a fair system and try again

every dude who shoots a dude gets negative effects. How is that not fair? Its like every dude who doesnt eat dies.

what is a playstyle?

if shooting people can be called a playstyle:

my playstyle is to alternate between my axe and my lee enfield with every shot I take and only to charge cherno via the big road

and my friend is simply not shooting at all

then rocket is intensely punishing our playstyles.

Why are you doing this rocket?

some of these famous rocket-qoutes are just BS

yeah the game is totally not a game but an experiment. Why does it need to become a standalone experiment then?

Why is the name not DayI when theyre infected

This is so confusing and I dont know

Now that you have been educated:

I kinda like the idea, but instead of murders it should be shots-fired-at-humanoid-things at the very least humans.

And then OPs effects are sound too strong. Although if it was just the silutte of a survivor when you turn your head in game that would be awesome. Not for murders really but just as a thing. Can the arma engine become a horror game?

Short and to the point' date=' I'd like to see something realistic added to represent the breakdown of your psyche should you go on a killing spree.

[/quote']

What if you are a Psychopath?

Murders shouldn't be punished imo, This game is based after society has collasped. You want to survive, that's all and you'll do what you need to.

Short and to the point' date=' I'd like to see something realistic added to represent the breakdown of your psyche should you go on a killing spree.

[/quote']

What if you are a Psychopath?

Murders shouldn't be punished imo, This game is based after society has collasped. You want to survive, that's all and you'll do what you need to.

Soldiers get whooliebwhoolie even though they somethimes only do what they need to do to survive. Having to do something doesnt make you immune to its negative effects.

But its pretty clear that murders shouldnt be punished the way OP suggests. A system to identify corpses and the person who shot the corpse would be cool. Like a CSI-kit.

what is a playstyle?

my playstyle is to alternate between my axe and my lee enfield with every shot I take and only to charge cherno via the big road

There's 2 main playstyle achetypes (and a mix of both);

"Survivor" - People who tend to be friendly whenever they can

"Bandit" - People who tend to be unfriendly whenener they can

If you punish the bandits for playing how they want to you need to have a similar punishment for survivors. So if you make bandits go insane from killing people, you need to make survivors have a similar but different negative effect from not killing people.

Is it really that hard to understand duality?

That is fairness, capiche?

what is a playstyle?

There's 2 main playstyle achetypes (and a mix of both);

"Survivor" - People who tend to be friendly whenever they can

"Bandit" - People who tend to be unfriendly whenener they can

If you punish the bandits for playing how they want to you need to have a similar punishment for survivors. So if you make bandits go insane from killing people' date=' you need to make survivors have a similar but different negative effect from not killing people.

Is it really that hard to understand duality?

That is fairness, capiche?

[/quote']

negative effect for not killing people... Really should have worded that differently as that sounds... Stupid, no offence.

You can do that same thing for survivors, if they have no murders then they need to be near someone otherwise they start hallucinating similar things from paranoia and monophobia or something similar.

Only murderers effects will last forever, after like 10 - 15 murders the hallucinations would never stop.

Survivors simply need to stay near another survivor to stop hallucinations and such.

I'd also have to argue about a third "playstyle"

that being, the "cherno camper". all they do is kill other, usually new players. You can't even call this type of player a bandit. They are a plague and should be hunted down like the old witch hunts.

Since I don't see anyway of stopping the "cherno camper" aside from banning these players from servers, a bit extreme. It will sadly always remain in the game.

Oh look it's this thread again

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion, theres the door. Please make sure it hits you a few times on the way out. :)

I like these ideas but they need to be more annoying and then they need something to counter it.;)There also needs to be a way to curb the amount of banditry that is going on.Since we have no God/morals in a video game,Rocket needs to play god in a way.Here is my idea tell me what you think.You need to make it annoying to be a bandit with extra steps having to be done to counter it as the base.First is make them shake like when your in bad pain and second is put their game colors to the lowest amount as when your near death.The only cure for this is to find a bottle of whiskey or maybe new items like zanax,weed etc.

What this will do is cause players to wonder if they wanna live with a very dull world and the shakes since they do not have anything to take the edge off after murdering innocents.Drugs and booze can be spawned slowly as a way to artificially control the amounts of bandits.In a way it lets the sadistic masochist have their pie and eat it too.

I vote no.

However, even thought extremely unlikely, what I would not mind is the following:

Flashbacks... last 1- 2 seconds while taking someone's life. Literally sound playback of that firefight, maybe a second long direct audio/chat playback.

Countering this... alcohol/drugs, which in turn will lower your reaction time and add tiny shakes.

As for the soldier comment... weak, very weak argument, majority of soldiers are scarred because they end up in these horrible situations where they are forced to take actions they otherwise wouldn't be doing... against their will, that's where the PTSD is coming from.

Think about gang involved murderers... the people who actually kill 'voluntarily', I highly doubt they have any regrets about the murders... most likely only about being caught.

Players kill for fun. This is a FFA deathmach. You should be punished because killing?

REWARDS FOR KILLING:

Loot (better guns and ammo, food and water to survive is everywhere)

REWARD FOR NOT KILLING:

No ammo waste (but it regenerates in server switching)

No zeds on the back (if in town, but server switching and voila!)

Do you see where the problem is?

AND ANOTHER THING:

I stopped searching for mates the day i found the cooked meat gives you 800, and cows et similiar animals spawns in certain places.

I would suggest more coop activities and healt that regenerates not istantly, but slowly and less the now (canned food gives you 200 and meat up to 400) .

Oh look this thread again

Im going out on a limb here saying this, but murder is a MORAL dilema, not a phycological one.

Without society to hunt you down and investigate a murder, alot of more criminal types would totally murder you for a can of beans. Pretty much, go back to school, and pretend no one gets in trouble for beating you to death.

Im going out on a limb here saying this' date=' but murder is a MORAL dilema, not a phycological one.

Without society to hunt you down and investigate a murder, alot of more criminal types would totally murder you for a can of beans. Pretty much, go back to school, and pretend no one gets in trouble for beating you to death.

[/quote']

Murder is just as much Psycological as Moral. Yes, because of the way society views murder it helps to shape the psycological aspect more. It still rings true that taking the life of someone else would cause most people to have some sort of mental issues.

BTW, most 'criminal types' suffer from some type of mental disorder. ;)

Im going out on a limb here saying this' date=' but murder is a MORAL dilema, not a phycological one.

[/quote']

Murder is just as much Psycological as Moral. Yes, because of the way society views murder it helps to shape the psycological aspect more. It still rings true that taking the life of someone else would cause most people to have some sort of mental issues.

Are all soldiers mentally ill?

Is every gang related murderer mentally ill?

I hate this retarded relation with murder and mental illness, and now crime with mental illness. Just because the courts let a dozen murders off because of mental illness doesn't mean they acutally have it. Morality is objective, its morally wrong to kill someone. It is morally wrong to steal from someone. it is morally wrong to fuck your mother. There are people who do these things everyday. Some of them have mental illnesses.

The thing is, mental illness can cause someone to lose there morals. You seem to believe this the other way around; you believe that KILLING causes mental problems, espically in a hallucinary and auditory way.

Every murder related to mental illness has the mental illness before the murder. However, victims of crime and those who have witnessed murder of loved ones, they're the ones who are scared by murder.

If you're going to go about claiming murder causes mental issues as SEVERE as hallicinations, which is some SERIOUS shit, by the way, at least state some damn facts.

Also, inb4 shell shocked

Edit: OH, and don't forget that people soundly and calmly plan murders every fucking day

[/quote']

I hate this retarded relation with murder and mental illness, and now crime with mental illness. Just because the courts let a dozen murders off because of mental illness doesn't mean they acutally have it. Morality is objective, its morally wrong to kill someone. It is morally wrong to steal from someone. it is morally wrong to fuck your mother. There are people who do these things everyday. Some of them have mental illnesses.

The thing is, mental illness can cause someone to lose there morals. You seem to believe this the other way around; you believe that KILLING causes mental problems, espically in a hallucinary and auditory way.

Every murder related to mental illness has the mental illness before the murder. However, victims of crime and those who have witnessed murder of loved ones, they're the ones who are scared by murder.

If you're going to go about claiming murder causes mental issues as SEVERE as hallicinations, which is some SERIOUS shit, by the way, at least state some damn facts.

Also, inb4 shell shocked

Edit: OH, and don't forget that people soundly and calmly plan murders every fucking day

soldiers are trained to kill, and yes many suffer from PTSD and other mental issues after returing from heavy combat. Not always because of taking the life of someone, but it's a main cause. Including watching their friends die, which would be happening as well in a zombie apoc.

Gangs are another thing, I grew up in Detroit, I've seen plenty of gang violence. They grow up being taught by their elders that its ok to kill someone if "blah blah". Thus, they never had the morals instilled in them in the first place.

Also, You're talking about minorities, I'm talking about majorities.

If your everyday, average joe is forced to kill someone, it's going to cause some serious problems. Yes, hallucinations are uncommon, and probably wouldn't happen, but it'd be a nice addition to the game.

Throw in a zombie apocalypse and there will be some serious mental breaks, most will probably opt for the easy way out and commit suicide.

Mental illness helps cause murders, yes. It can also be caused by being forced to kill someone. It goes both ways.

[/quote']

Also, inb4 shell shocked

soldiers are trained to kill, and yes many suffer from PTSD and other mental issues after returing from heavy combat. Not always because of taking the life of someone, but it's a main cause. Including watching their friends die, which would be happening as well in a zombie apoc.

Gangs are another thing, I grew up in Detroit, I've seen plenty of gang violence. They grow up being taught by their elders that its ok to kill someone if "blah blah". Thus, they never had the morals instilled in them in the first place.

If your everyday, average joe is forced to kill someone, it's going to cause some serious problems. Yes, hallucinations are uncommon, and probably wouldn't happen, but it'd be a nice addition to the game.

Throw in a zombie apocalypse and there will be some serious mental breaks, most will probably opt for the easy way out and commit suicide.

Mental illness helps cause murders, yes. It can also be caused by being forced to kill someone. It goes both ways.

Hey guys I just killed someone out of survival I totally have auditory hallucinations which have nothing to do with killing someone instead of depression or anxiety or paranoia oh god its like medical degrees/high school biochemistry class don't matter and this is just a cheap shot at bandits because I died

THIS JUST IN HALLUCINATIONS ARE GENERALLY CHEMICALLY RELATED FROM A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION AND MOST MENTAL ILLNESSES RELATED TO HALLUCINATIONS YOU ARE BORN WITH

UNCOMMON IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

[/quote']

Also, inb4 shell shocked

Hey guys I just killed someone out of survival I totally have auditory hallucinations which have nothing to do with killing someone instead of depression or anxiety or paranoia oh god its like medical degrees don't matter and this is just a cheap shot at bandits because I died

THIS JUST IN HALLUCINATIONS ARE GENERALLY CHEMICALLY RELATED FROM A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION AND MOST MENTAL ILLNESSES RELATED TO HALLUCINATIONS YOU ARE BORN WITH

UNCOMMON IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

You're missing the point entirely. I even agreed with you that hallucinations most likely wouldn't happen.

We can argue all day about psycology and it won't get us anywhere because of common/uncommon.

Bottom Line

This is a game and it would be a cool feature.