Sign in to follow this  
xCAPx

Diving - Scuba tanks, flippers and sunken ships/planes

cv9e82d7.jpg

Another idea related to the ocean (and the coast).

At first, there sould be definitly an option for diving, but I want to go further...

I would like to see scuba tanks and flippers (in collaboration with houseboats [http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/227990-houseboats/] :D ).

This would be nice for dynamic (maybe static, because dynamic is hard to find in the ocean) events, like sunken ships or crashed planes.

There could be 2-3 sunken (maybe two cargo and one military) ships/planes further afar from the coast. They could have some "save-boxes", so the loot wouldn't be damaged through the water, (maybe they are looked and you needed a lock pick to open it) with different and rare loot in it.

Scuba tanks,flippers and neoprene suit would be the optimal option. This way you could dive longer and deeper than with no or minor gear.
But you should be able to dive without any special gear - just a short time.

Apart from that, there could be spawn diving goggles and snorkels. With this equipment you could search from the water surface for the ship wracks, but you shouldn't be able to dive as long as with diving gear.
Of course, you should be able to train your stamina with soft skills, so you can longer dive than as a freshspawn.

Also, there should be neoprene suit, because the water is very cold if it's not summer time. So you would have just a small timeframe to swim or dive.

Waterproof flashlights would be nice, too. That way you could search for wracks at night.

Tell me your thoughts and make some comments! Thank you! :)

some examples:

y2omy23r.jpg

!There are two topics about diving, but the last post was more than one year ago... Mods, feel free to close or delete my post, if it's necessary!

• Like 2

I was just play A3 with the waves jacked all the way up and was thinking about this. This would be more of a long term BI future goal though. It was a major amount of work for A3, still undecided if it was worth it. The new A3 map http://arma3.com/tanoa would be a great DayZ map. Swimming underwater and sneaking up on players would be awesome.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 2

Its complex in general nature but it would be a fun twist.  I would not mind it one bit if the cons were equal to the pros when using this equipment, malfunctions etc.

• Like 1

I would have to say it does seem more of a Dayz thing than a Arma3 thing. Not that I'm complaining, I love me some A3.

• Like 1

I would have to say it does seem more of a Dayz thing than a Arma3 thing. Not that I'm complaining, I love me some A3.

Yep, I would really like to see diving in A3, too. But it would be amazing to see it in DayZ.

I love to explore the mainland Chernarus and diving would give DayZ another great option. The more we have to explore the better is it.

Its complex in general nature but it would be a fun twist.  I would not mind it one bit if the cons were equal to the pros when using this equipment, malfunctions etc.

Yes, malfunctions are a great idea. They could be bound on the stats of your equipment - pristine = very low risk/ damaged = high risk that e.g. your oxygen bottle gets broken.

But it should be possible to maintain/replace certain parts of the gear (like tubes), so you wouldn't have to search for a complete new one.

Malfunctions should mostly be in the regulator which is probably the most important and complex part of scuba gear.

I like the idea and wouldn't mind if it was implemented but within the Chernarus universe it is highly unlikely you would find much scuba gear. How many people in a economically challenged rural area would have diving equipment (expensive)? I can imagine there would be are 2 or 3 diving schools along the coast, also for tourists.

• Like 1

Malfunctions should mostly be in the regulator which is probably the most important and complex part of scuba gear.

I like the idea and wouldn't mind if it was implemented but within the Chernarus universe it is highly unlikely you would find much scuba gear. How many people in a economically challenged rural area would have diving equipment (expensive)? I can imagine there would be are 2 or 3 diving schools along the coast, also for tourists.

Oh yes, that's a good point. I also thought about diving schools. It would be plausible to find the such gear there.

Anyway, there should be much more specialized buildings in Chernarus, like as you said diving schools, fishing stores, tool shops, etc. where you can find specialized gear.

The devs could (maybe) use buildings which are in-game right now and add signs and different interior to it, or create totally new buildings - I know lots of work.

In Berezhki we have this wooden building which would match for a diving school, I think. Just add some lockers or boxes which hold the gear. Of course you should be able to find this - relative rare - gear also inland in residential houses/areas.

2r4k6fcm.jpg

Then copy this and add one in Kamenka and one on Skalisty Island, for example.

• Like 1

Great idea!

That cargo shipwreck on the north east should have a few submerged container boxes that can be salvageable by a new spawn/up equipped diver with the risk of drowning but a lot easier and safer with scuba gear. If you drown, you will be unconscious and if stay under water a little longer, you will die. This way, your friend must immediately rescue you and and do CPR before you die.

Might as well be able to make a craftable wooden raft (from harvested timber and oil drums?) and with the already in game paddle, you can paddle away to get as close to that submerged shipping container.

Under water caves can be added to the game to encourage scuba diving where caves can lead to emerging to an inland location.

Add swimming zombies or sharks.

Personal protection under water with a knife or spear gun.

• Like 1

Somebodys been playing Stranded Deep. good ideas.

No, I never played Stranded Deep, but it looks quite good. Maybe it's worth a try?, watched some videos after your post.

But DayZ is still my favorite (survival) game. So I want to see something like this more in Dayz, than buying another game.

Thanks anyway! :)

To be honest it looks kinda "GTAish" as a RAW IDEA, but imho, it could fit if proprely planned and structured!
Embolism risk, needed decompression, equipment size and encumbrance....if it's all scripted could be a nice add, if it will be just approximate, god help us!!!! è_é

I have Stranded Deep and Subnautica. Not sure S.D. has anything great going on yet, I think they're adding larger islands, that will help. But, Subnautica is a badass game, and really showcases how underwater diving game should be a great genre in the future. I wrote a small review in the off topic section.

For DayZ, I'm glad BI had the experience of developing the underwater environment of ArmA3, I really see this happening down the road once DayZ is a secure IP.

• Like 1

Love this idea mofuka !!! Arma 3 diving is crazy , it's all like "make sure you have scuba gear" but I have no idea how to play so I just drove my mates into the ocean in a big ass missle truck ... :/?