Sign in to follow this  
EarthVen

Rescaling Of Buildings or Humans?

For whom this may concern

When I play I cannot help but notice my character is really tall, overly tall.

Question is do you rescale the people & create different sized humans & zombies.

Or

Rescale the buildings, & make everything destructible and able the be entered.

Or both?

Thank you for your time.

I would opt for the humans. As they spawn dynamically changing their size won't warp the map and conflict with objects. Also it makes the world bigger.

And yes they are too tall compared to the/some buildings.

Edited by Evil Minion

I'm 6' 3" in real life so it seems pretty normal to me.

Edited by Jacobahalls

Only the big and tough have made it this far ;)

Size is actually a double edged sword. While in general it gives you an advantage in competing over resources it also means you need more resources as well. ;)

However, this topic is about building/character relation. If characters had different sizes it would make sense to include those details though.

I was saying in another topic like this yesterday that  we should have physically, different sized characters but its only cosmetic and doesnt effect your actual health in game looking like a big fat burger eating mofo (exaggeration).. Then they can worry about calorie counters in game further down the track..

This is actually reminds me of something that happened yesterday..  I went to the coffee shop yesterday and a lady asked me to help her move her morbidly obese friend who was stuck in sofa inside the coffee shop.. so i leant a hand and did the good dead, we both grabbed an arm each and heaved this huge woman that had anchored herself into a wedge of the sofa up and back into the world and then I said goodbye as would a guardian of the unfortunate and went about my day with my head held high.

Seems like a lot of people aren't actually answering what OP was asking.

Quite a few of the buildings aren't to scale with the player model, and although you can enter them the size of furniture relative to your character shows. Unfortunately the problem with this is that the vast majority of buildings on the map were designed in ArmA 2 and not made to be enterable, so in order to keep the map the same they had to modify existing models.

There aren't really any good solutions to the issue because it's relatively minor. Making major changes to either would cause problems; buildings would all need to be reset and adjusted with their scaling changed and changing the player model itself would require everything to be changed.

Meh, it's close enough to work fine.  I do not see any reason to change it or worry about it.

Funny, some people say you feel short. I don't have a problem with any of the man made objects and their scale.

But, I think plenty of the plant scale is very out of wack. Three foot ferns that aren't bushy as one example. The problem isn't just the height it is its form. Fern can grow that tall, but they would need to be much more bushy with other ferns closer. Judge a plant size from a distance then see how it compare to your player height, you will always think they are shorter from distance.

All of these problems come from taking the original Chernarus and adapting it. It's still a awesome map with these problems though.

I agree that it'd be nice to have the ceilings heights adjusted to be taller, the character models are fine though. Re-adjusting them means re-adjusting all the clothes and equipment which is stupid. I find it hard to use the third person camera in buildings because of this. Sometimes it even makes me feel a little motion sick, which is fucking odd. Wider corridors & taller ceilings... yes please!

eh...  the scale seems fine to me.  some of the ceilings are pretty low, but not unreasonably so.  I'd still like to see more variation in the player models though.
21076076.jpg

Edited by sushimaster
  • Like 1

Personally the only issue I have with the scaling is player camera height in first person. To me it seems like the player's "eyes" are way too close to the ground so it always feels like I am crouch-running, and it is quite immersion-breaking to have to check my stance every few minutes.