Sign in to follow this  
ZomboWTF

New distant lightsource mechanics?

So, today i saw something i never saw in my few years of playing DayZ Standalone and Mod: Light sources outside of player render range

Full Story:

I was derping around in the north pretty far north, when i saw a castle and went up the tower, i guess it was Black mountain, but i'm not sure of it

Anyway, far in the distant, way outside of player render range, i saw two bright little dots moving, going into houses, disappearing, appearing again etc.

i had no scope with me so i couldn't confirm there were players, but what other explanation is there?

i guess the devs introduced a mechanic with which you can see far away lightsources at night now, so be wary of that when looking for loot in the dark, or when lighting a campfire, i'll be testing the campfire thing out soon myself

the town must've been about 1000 - 1200 meters away, the dots were jumping up and down while moving, looking like they were atatched to the players arms

Server was UK 0-6 on experimental 0.58, at around 3:50 GMT, town must have been Gvodzno,

the players then moved around the south of the castle in direction of krasnostav

Can somebody confirm that or test it?

So, today i saw something i never saw in my few years of playing DayZ Standalone and Mod: Light sources outside of player render range

Full Story:

I was derping around in the north pretty far north, when i saw a castle and went up the tower, i guess it was Black mountain, but i'm not sure of it

Anyway, far in the distant, way outside of player render range, i saw two bright little dots moving, going into houses, disappearing, appearing again etc.

i had no scope with me so i couldn't confirm there were players, but what other explanation is there?

i guess the devs introduced a mechanic with which you can see far away lightsources at night now, so be wary of that when looking for loot in the dark, or when lighting a campfire, i'll be testing the campfire thing out soon myself

the town must've been about 1000 - 1200 meters away, the dots were jumping up and down while moving, looking like they were atatched to the players arms

Server was UK 0-6 on experimental 0.58, at around 3:50 GMT, town must have been Gvodzno,

the players then moved around the south of the castle in direction of krasnostav

Can somebody confirm that or test it?

News to me and I played allot of .58.

This is interesting ... I will have to test this tonight when I play next to see what's up ... Hopefully somebody is doing something in the dark ;)

Hate to burst the bubble but stuff just doesn't render past the network bubble so you're probably mistaken on the distance.

Especially if you weren't using a scope, you weren't seeing anything that far away.

The majority of Kras from black mountain is less than 1km.

Edited by Bororm

gonna try getting a screenshot or even better a video today, i hope this will work with fireplaces or i will have severe problems recreating it, definitely will try to find a lamp + gas canister, too

the distance was definitely above my player render range though, at least above the limit at which the players rendered without a scope, else i would have seen the players with my "normal eye" zoom factor

Edited by Zombo

gonna try getting a screenshot or even better a video today, i hope this will work with fireplaces or i will have severe problems recreating it, definitely will try to find a lamp + gas canister, too

the distance was definitely above my player render range though, at least above the limit at which the players rendered without a scope, else i would have seen the players with my "normal eye" zoom factor

Considering how garbage the regular zoom is now you can barely make out people at 300m any more.  Your player render distance is affected by your object detail I think, but again nothing renders at all past your network bubble (1km) because your client isn't receiving that information at all.

Also, fireplaces don't register past about 100-150m in my experience.  You can't see them from even half of one end of the airfield run way to the other (talking width, not length).  Admittedly that was months ago though.

Do test it all though, if I'm wrong that's great.

No screenie ?

It ain't Rocket science nowadays.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Possible the guys were carrying their stock (or found) chem lights? 

okay, static light sources do not seem to render at all beyond a few meters, at least not flares and camp fires

still need to test this with a chemlight or gas lantern though, or even a flashlight, however finding a flashlight/battery or a chemlight proves difficult, and it seems that butane gas canisters don't spawn at all in the current 0.58 experimental

i'm gonna try to make a freshspawn run with his flare in his hand away from me, maybe light sources attached to players behave differently

i'm pretty sure i wasn't hallucinating last night, however it WAS 4:00 am in the morning, and there are always weird things happening at night on mountains with a color in their names

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

okay, static light sources do not seem to render at all beyond a few meters, at least not flares and camp fires

still need to test this with a chemlight or gas lantern though, or even a flashlight, however finding a flashlight/battery or a chemlight proves difficult, and it seems that butane gas canisters don't spawn at all in the current 0.58 experimental

i'm gonna try to make a freshspawn run with his flare in his hand away from me, maybe light sources attached to players behave differently

i'm pretty sure i wasn't hallucinating last night, however it WAS 4:00 am in the morning, and there are always weird things happening at night on mountains with a color in their names

Don't forget to try to use the torches too. (Not the UK way of saying "flashlight", but the craft-able torches made of wood and rags.)

gas latern could be seen the same distance like campfires or flares, round about 100 meters.

someone said chemlights could be seen from farer distance, but i never tested it.

Don't forget to try to use the torches too. (Not the UK way of saying "flashlight", but the craft-able torches made of wood and rags.)

wow thanks, totally forgot them :D

edit: torches don't work either, now it's down to flashlight, chemlight and lantern

damn it, playing the whole day to find these damn things and so far only have the gas lamp...

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 3

I've seen a player holding a chemlight from about 600m away in novo hospital (I was in the hills by the radio tower) in .57 stable.

• Like 2

butane gas canisters don't spawn at all in the current 0.58 experimental

False!  The correct wording would be that you haven't yet seen a butane gas canister on .58 experimental.

The northern corridor is lousy with them.  Hell, I even killed three zombies at the summer camp NW of Svergino.

Finally found a butane canister to plug into my lamp and tried it, the video is currently being encoded from fraps avi to mp4 in order for the youtube upload not to take a year, result range where the lamp was visible was about 250 meters

The lamps light however is very bright and big, do not recommend to walk around with that thing O.o

video will be up shortly, searching for flashlight and chemlight now...

https://youtu.be/eggYJ-6Vusk

i made a picture on the dayzdb map where this was, but cant put it into a post

False!  The correct wording would be that you haven't yet seen a butane gas canister on .58 experimental.

The northern corridor is lousy with them.  Hell, I even killed three zombies at the summer camp NW of Svergino.

and it seems that butane gas canisters don't spawn at all in the current 0.58 experimentals

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 2

Good work Zombo.

I'd be interested in how far a truck's lights go too.

Ok, some new things about light sources and distant rendering:

I tested a few things about render distance regarding flaregun-flares, roadflares and ghillie render distance with a fellow survivor named Liandri (Many thanks for the help ^^)

1) Road Flares are rendering at about 300 meters, after that both the model of the flare and the light source are gone

2) Flare gun Flares are rendering WAY further out, more than 650 meters

3) Ghillie suits: Having a ghillie suit actually makes you render FURTHER out, we tried this with very low settings,

and the ghillied player stopped rendering at about 300 meters, while the player without a ghillie suit stopped rendering at 250 meters,

no more ghillie magical invisibility

• Like 1

An additional test with Liandri revealed that truck light is rendering from 500 to 900 meters out,

depending on field of view, with minimum field of view about 500, with maximum about 900

this is only the light effect of the truck btw, the lightbulbs on the truck itself stop rendering way before that, at about 100 meters

it would make sense if all other light sources behaved the same way, rendering further out the tighter your field of view is

Edited by Zombo

This is all good. Light sources at night are the benefit/risk they should be when it renders that far. I wonder if some of the render distances for light sources change when they're carried by a player? For example, I can't see a shirt from very far, but I can see a shirt ON a player maybe 250 meters. Past about 800 meters I just see a head and arms, I don't even see players shirts, pants, etc anymore. I forget when that started but it's hilarious.