GunnyITA

Set "lock Spawn" to players for 24h

Hopefully since 3 months i'm playing in private servers, where gameplay it's slightly better because of no ghosting or spawnkilling.

But the major problem is still about players focusing on just 3 town instead of whole map.

I do understand that actually the loot is broken, and everyone is standing only on Elektro, Cherno and Berezino because of the new small houses full of loots.

But even if this thing is going to be fixed in my opinion, the people will always stay on the coast.

Things are not that way different from before. Yea, the small bugged houses aren't an excuse. Before was this way off course, but not that different.

Why always being on the coast?

1-Loot stuff from other players killed

2-suicice several times until you are close to the town you need

3- Regroup to your teammates within 15 mins

So that....somehow, it is some sort of a legit glitch:
Being able to suicide several time and reach your teammates for having a better positioning AND, spotting enemies that killed you it is an abuse for winning.

But i'm not complaining about this point because i have something against the poor spotters that are trying to do something. Off course not!

But it's so unrealisting that we can be always able to reach our teammates with the....EASIER WAY!

My opinion is:

Do you die? You will play better and carefully next time.

If you want to regroup start to have a long run!

Until there won't be a SPAWN LOCK for 1 day once you get killed, people will always focus on those 3 cityes instead of exploring the whole world.

I do understand that is not possible to force people play "AS THE WAY YOU WANT TO", but we can't even pretend to play a survival game as a CALL OF DUTY game! Same corners, same spots, same hills, loot within 10 mins and wait for server restart for more loot? Comooon...Then you die and you do revive as a TeamDeathmatch with the weapons to pickup from the ground?

It is the same!!!

Believe me that is not possible to push people inside the map! They will never do it because most of the players are guys to pretend to have the scores "now"! And not earned by efforts. Less efforts for a goal.

What do you think?

Edited by GunnyITA

I'm not sure I can answer this completely but right now there really isn't much to do right now other than get geared up and go hunting for some action. Even when we do get more content, there will still be a large part of the community who play Dayz as a loot n shoot or whatever fps insult players want to throw out there.

As far as the spawn points, I'm not sure if there is an easy "fix" for the problem. I mean who doesn't want to get back to their stuff fast or possibly even catch the guy/girl who killed you and exact your revenge and move on before your stuff or the player disappear? I get what your saying and you're not alone in your way of thinking but people will argue that locking your spawn location is a hindrance to their play style.

In my opinion people stay on the coast because there is action there. Why explore inland when all of the action is in berenzino, cherno, electro and kamyshovo. I personally get bored roaming inland and seek out others on the coast, sometimes to play TDM sometimes I try my hand at trading( mainly Rasputin Kvass and ammo, cause beer and firearms go so well together). TL;DR long story short everyone payed to play the game the way they want. There are no right or wrong answers to the perceived problems of spawning and the suicide to get close to your team or body

Edited by Tobias Winfro

That'll be heaven for the bambi snipers. Find a spawn point beach and just keep shooting as they pop up since each one you kill in the area will most like have been from that exact spawn point. It'll be just like in Looper.

• Like 1

So, you don't want people to play the game?  This idea is terrible.

• Like 1

So, you don't want people to play the game?  This idea is terrible.

At least state a point.

This is not only a PVP game to shoot around! This is not Call of duty. This is a Survival Game and players should understand it.....Beyond Elektro & Co. there are over 200 km of maps to explore and survive. Being just on a part of the map whole time means you want play an "EZ GAME" like kids says.

A 3 hour timer for perhaps a hardcore mode would be good. No more suicides and returning to your body.

• Like 1

At least state a point.

This is not only a PVP game to shoot around! This is not Call of duty. This is a Survival Game and players should understand it.....Beyond Elektro & Co. there are over 200 km of maps to explore and survive. Being just on a part of the map whole time means you want play an "EZ GAME" like kids says.

Ugh, we have a thread just like this already, in General Discussion, named Suicide Repercussions.  This topic is already being discussed!

The problem is that the game cannot differentiate between suicide and accidental death, so your idea punishes the innocent.  Also, if you want to avoid the problem with suicide and respawning, then just pick a private server.

This isn't a Survival Game.  I posit that it will never be a survival game.  The focus will never be pve because figuring out how to not die will only be challenging temporarily.  Other players will always be the only true, unpredictable variable.  Additionally, why would anyone adopt a playstyle just because of tired marketing?  The 'game' is whatever you make of it, it's a big sandbox with other players and ways to kill other players.  Evolving, emergent playstyles are a real thing in sandbox games, people play however they want based on what there is to do, not because some guy who works for a company tells you how to play.

This is not Call of Duty! How true!  CoD finished product doesn't require you to spend a lot of time gearing up and so killing other players is a lot less satisfying to some people.  DayZ is a game about theft, theft of the time it took you to progress.  I'm here, stealing your time with bullets.

Yes, there are 200 km of map.  I've seen all of it.  Many times.  Being a coast rat is far more entertaining to me than anything else.

Edited by Parazight

Edit: misclick

Edited by GunnyITA

Ugh, we have a thread just like this already, in General Discussion, named Suicide Repercussions.  This topic is already being discussed!

The problem is that the game cannot differentiate between suicide and accidental death, so your idea punishes the innocent.  Also, if you want to avoid the problem with suicide and respawning, then just pick a private server.

This isn't a Survival Game.  I posit that it will never be a survival game.  The focus will never be pve because figuring out how to not die will only be challenging temporarily.  Other players will always be the only true, unpredictable variable.  Additionally, why would anyone adopt a playstyle just because of tired marketing?  The 'game' is whatever you make of it, it's a big sandbox with other players and ways to kill other players.  Evolving, emergent playstyles are a real thing in sandbox games, people play however they want based on what there is to do, not because some guy who works for a company tells you how to play.

This is not Call of Duty! How true!  CoD finished product doesn't require you to spend a lot of time gearing up and so killing other players is a lot less satisfying to some people.  DayZ is a game about theft, theft of the time it took you to progress.  I'm here, stealing your time with bullets.

Yes, there are 200 km of map.  I've seen all of it.  Many times.  Being a coast rat is far more entertaining to me than anything else.

nope! The Problem about suicide and spawning is not avoided even with PVT hives, which i'm playing since 3 months now

I always base my statements on facts, and the facts says that players are always pushed to kill themselves to reach their teammates and focus the fight always in the same places!

That's all.

Over 50% of the players on DAYZ (stats of June 2015) had left the game and during high density hours, the game is very low populated. Certainly this happens because something affect the gameplay and the people see problems where others don't.

If this is a sandbox based on surviving, explore and PVP, but all of this mess, instead of being delayed all around a map of over 200 km, it's just on 20, and, neither in front of statements of a dramatically drop of players, we don't want to admit there's something affect the gameplay....well, then i don't know how could be possible to raise more players as game price had also being increased and " I DIDN'T SEE" important improvement since 0.42 . I underline clearly "I DIDN'T SEE".

Back to the thread, game is and will always be focused always on the coast, even if the changes will be hundreds. Because of how respawn is working, game will be always like this! It is focused in a portion of map, like always playing Carentan over 200 times on COD2.

In my opinion if your point of view is this, i'm expecting you are one of those that dislike any kind of sound introducing while loggin in. Doesn't it?

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 1

The game is in alpha, so you can't really judge it as a finished product.  You give observations of the current state when CLE is still a newborn and persistence is turned off.

The facts state that players must kill themselves to get back to their friends?  That's ludicrous.  Don't run with your current teammates, find somewhere else to shoot people, do something else, go play a different game.

If I could care any less about sounds while logging in, I would.

• Like 1

Spawn suicide is a tricky thing to fix. Unlike the other "teleport glitch" - server hopping - players have much less control here as they often don't choose when to die. So while server hopping can be fixed just fine by attaching a significant cost (waiting times, having to start a new character etc.) doing the same for spawn suiciding would greatly reduce the amount players are able to play.

Now I do like the idea of spawn locks as it makes spawn suicide completely useless but first 24 hours are way overkill and second spawning in the same place comes with its own set of issues (like berserk freshspawns, rapid regear PvP close to spawnpoints or imply spawnkilling).

I would propose a fuzzy apprach to spawning: Instead of picking a random spawn point the spawn algorithm picks a random point in the spawn area (in a place where survivors can spawn and are not stuck), generates a random number and then compares it to the points "weight". If the random number is bigger the player is allowed to spawn there otherwise a new point is chosen. Effects on weight:

• players in a certain radius reduce weight based on distance
  • stashes, bases etc. in a certain radius reduce weight based on distance and maybe the number of items inside
  • corpses in a certain radius reduce weight based on distance and the number of items on them
  • your own corpse affects weight in different ways based on distance:
    • if you died after a short life weight is increased based on lifetime (the shorter the life the higher the weight)
    • items on your corpse greatly reduce weight
  • players in a relatively small radius reduce weight to 0
  • zombies/animals that would instantly aggro reduce weight greatly

This way freshspawn suicide, spawn killing and looting your own corpse/stash all become much harder to pull off and players are naturally spread across the spawn area.

• Like 2

Simplest solution is for every time you die within five minutes of spawning in, it adds 30 seconds  to the spawn timer after your first death.  Example:  You spawn in and don't like it and jump off a roof, 30 seconds.  You spawn again and still don't like it and jump off another roof, 1 minute.  Outside of killing your character for a better spawn there is absolutely no reason you should be dying within five minutes.

• Like 2

The only thing that will ever stop the coast being a hot spot for action is being able to spawn absolutely anywhere, rather than just on the coastline. People spawn there, so more people are there, and therefore the fighting and player interaction is always going to be focused there, especially with guard houses at the moment.

And honestly you know what you can do to stop people going back to their gear? Hide the body, or ruin it all, if it's such game breaking concern, when it's not.

• Like 1

The game is in alpha, so you can't really judge it as a finished product.  You give observations of the current state when CLE is still a newborn and persistence is turned off.

The facts state that players must kill themselves to get back to their friends?  That's ludicrous.  Don't run with your current teammates, find somewhere else to shoot people, do something else, go play a different game.

If I could care any less about sounds while logging in, I would.

This way of thinking is right, the problem is that 8 out 10 players don't follow this way as it should be.

The only thing that will ever stop the coast being a hot spot for action is being able to spawn absolutely anywhere, rather than just on the coastline. People spawn there, so more people are there, and therefore the fighting and player interaction is always going to be focused there, especially with guard houses at the moment.

And honestly you know what you can do to stop people going back to their gear? Hide the body, or ruin it all, if it's such game breaking concern, when it's not.

The thing about hiding the body is situational. If i do have a friend with me, he's going to dress out all my body and then i go back to re-loot again.

Maibe the idea as said above by Leader.one is the most balanced.

As one time, when you were to swap to each server, more minutes were added  to each log in. In my opinion it should be do the same also when you do suicide every time in the timeline of 1 hour:

First death: 30 secs

Second Death: 1 min

Third Death: 2 mins

Fourth Death: 4 Mins

Fifth Death: 6 mins

Up to a maximum of Five and 6 as maximum minutes....each death raise the time of spawning by double it. ....30, 1 min, 2 min, 4 mins etc...

I think a 10 minute default respawn timer would be better to be honest. It will allow players to effectively be able to wipe out an entire player population in a city and face no more competition for a long time. It would also greatly discourage suicide to respawn.

The reason why everybody focuses on the 3 cities and ignores the rest of the map is because you can get everything you need in one city

If each city had different loots and for example you need 3 items, so you have to go for item 1 to cherno because they have that store with those things there, for item 2 you would go to zelenogorsk because they have it and item 3 would be spawning at random houses

And there is way too much food and water in the cities. But I HOPE devs will put the canned food and water in cities to a MINIMUM, like 1 bottle and 2 cans of food in the ENTIRE city. 

That would drive people off cities to find food by hunting animals, planting seeds, collecting berries etc.

Edited by Sperglord

Just have a wait timer of 10 minutes when you die, unless you die within a few seconds of spawning in. This would deter suicide for a better spawn and would make it more difficult to loot your own body after you die.

• Like 1

Increasing respawn timers only punishes bambies, and allows bandits to literally grief someone down till it's not worth playing anymore. It's not a good idea.

On the other hand, if we added guard rails to all the tall structures, spawned the players in wearing a retard helmet and fluffy pillows, and put kiddie-covers on all the electrical outlets, we could probably get this problem fixed.

Increasing respawn timers only punishes bambies, and allows bandits to literally grief someone down till it's not worth playing anymore. It's not a good idea.

On the other hand, if we added guard rails to all the tall structures, spawned the players in wearing a retard helmet and fluffy pillows, and put kiddie-covers on all the electrical outlets, we could probably get this problem fixed.

How would it punish bambies?  My idea of adding 30 seconds to the spawn timer everytime you die/suicide within 5 minutes is fairly reasonable.  If you keep getting killed within 5 mins of spawn you should re-evaluate your gameplay.

Today on a russian forum we actually came to the same idea - the suiciding problem just wasn't the reason of discussion.

For lots of players the game is not about DayZ, it's about pew-pew'ing each other with nothing to lose. Especially with bugged loot all around. Okay, so the loot is fixed, it is harder to find now, but... is it really so hard to find? Especially for an experienced player? Once you know where you can find cool stuff, it's all about pew-pewing again. And it will be so on public servers up until even the average loot would be helluva difficult to find.

Okay, Hicks talked yesterday about skills and how it's supposed to make players value their lifes more. Only that most of them wouldn't value the lifes more. Pew-pewing, remember? Why to worry about some virtual skills of fireplace crafting, when all I want is just to have a cool tacticool fight with mah friendz? It's not like skillz make killz in this game! Of course I am exaggerating - skills system will make some difference. But mostly, the picture will remain the same. For those pew-pewing players at least.

But let's think about the situation where the time penalty for death is implemented. Not 24 hours (for true-hardcore servers tho...), but let's say 1-3 hours. Or even half a hour. You mindlessly go to the hot area, run across the city, get a bullet between the eyes... And suddenly you can't just respawn and try again. You are punished for your playstyle (no more pew-pewing with super-duper-fast respawn, alas), or maybe for that you didn't think twice before acting (duh, it's Elektro on a 50 full server, what could possibly go wrong), or maybe for your bad luck. Now you can take the blue one and ragequit, or you can take the red one and think what you should do so this wouldn't repeat. And be careful next time.

Alright, so experienced players can do their colourful drugs and think about their doings. What about poor little newbs that were just so unlucky to buy the game and die immideately? The first solution that comes to mind - if you just bought your game, the timeouts are the same 30 secs for the first several deaths. them 5 mins for several next, and so on. And let's extrapolate it on bambies at all! You die a short time after respawn - you get a small but still palpable penalty. Seems legit? Well, it does for me!

And after all... DayZ IS about hardcore, Rocket saw it this way, that's why we still lose all our gear upon death. It's just it is not enough anymore at this point. And one more thing. They could spend a lot of time balancing the loot system, changing loot tables and stuff. Or they could just change one value to another, watch for the reaction, change to another, etc. Just saying.

I would actually suggest a completely different fix for the suicide spawn problem. Its simple, so simple that people will most likely bash their heads in frustration when hearing it adn say, "why didn't I think of that first?".

Its quite a common thing for people to suicide to get a different spawn than the one they get. I've done it when I started playing, I've seen streamers do it constantly and a lot of people come up to me every time I play asking me to kill them so they can get a different spawn. I myself feel that it really doesnt matter to me what spawn I get, I will play with it anyways but when I get a spawn close to where I died I almost always go to look for my stuff or to get the guy that killed me. Simply because this is a game, and a game is supposed to be amusing, not a punishment. And what is more amusing than getting revenge on a guy that killed you. Timeouts are just a punishment, nothing more. its not a solution to anything. And if a person that killed you is still in the same postition he was when he killed you after 5 min he deserves to be killed. You also have to take into account that if this is supposed to be a sandbox game, people should be allowed to pew-pew as much as they want, and not get punished for it.

The solution I have for this is simply, Let people spawn in an area of their choice. No more suicides, If people wanna PVP, let them spawn where theres PVP, if they dont want this, let them spawn at another place. It doesnt even have to be very complicated, just divide the map into eight zones, S,SW,W,NW,N,NE,E and SE and let players choose the spawn zone. they will then spawn at a random spawn in the zone. If some of the zones spawn more "Epic lootz" than other(like the W and NW)or for some other reason areas are unwanted spawns they can simply be disabled.

This would allow people to play the way they want, where they want and not have to suicide all the time. And remember, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean that its not feasable.

9up25h.jpg

Hm, I'd like something as the following:

Your first death is just like now, no waiting x min for being shot by someone.

After spawning, the next earliest possible time to spawn is 15 minutes later.

Means: If you suicide (or get killed) right away, you will have to wait 15 minutes.

If you run around for 10 minutes and then get shot, you will have to wait 5 minutes.

If you live longer than 15 minutes, your next spawn will be like the first one, like it is now.

If you die within these 15 minutes, the next timer will be 25 minutes, then 35 etc.

So, system would be like this:

1st death:

30 second spawn timer

Spawn

Ask yourself: Will it take much longer than 15 minutes to get where I want? How likely is it that my next spawn will be better?

If you decide to live, you're more careful, as you don't want to get shot.

a) You lived more than 15 minutes of time: Go to "1st death"  (this can be tweaked: Does time before pressing respawn counts, or only "alive-time"? Does only actual playtime counts, or real time?)

b ) You die within 15 minutes of time: Go to "2nd death"

2nd death:

15 minutes spawn timer minus time passed - what ever time model is used, see 1st death a)

Spawn

Ask yourself: Will it take much longer than 25 minutes to get where I want? How likely is it that my next spawn will be so much better?

You're shitty careful and sneak to everywhere.

a) You get the idea...

Edited by Crizztl

Or just let people decide where they spawn from a set list? No more suicides, and people can get back into playing the game however they want when they die. Be it someone wanting to rejoin their group, or someone wanting to spawn away from everyone else and play lonewolf.

Or just let people decide where they spawn from a set list? No more suicides, and people can get back into playing the game however they want when they die. Be it someone wanting to rejoin their group, or someone wanting to spawn away from everyone else and play lonewolf.

This would produce the opposite effect of what you try to resolve though...let me use just this simple example.

You die and tell your friends to loot your corpse and plan to regroup @ a precise spawn point...nope nope nope ;) would be full of cheater, don't you think? "I'm sick...kill me I'll repop" naaah