trueffel

A believable world

My biggest concern about Day Z is that the Developers don´t create a believable world. For me as a player it is a big aspect. And for a realistic survival game it should be one of the main quest to create.

For example, it´s a Zombie apocalypse and the world still doesn´t look like it. What would people do if there was an outbreak? You know all the Zombiefilms. Ingame you can just see some car wrecks and funny little blockades. I hope they will improve the environment much more than this.

Another question is about destroyed tanks... could zombies destroy tanks? Are they able to handle a rocketlauncher?

I share the idea that it should be rare to have a car as a player but in a apocalypse there should be much more abandoned cars. Maybe more functionall cars but one main resource is rare: fuel. So gas stations are one big point of interests like wells. 

Maybe fuel will become the most important currency. Day Z with his own econimic system which is player created of their own needs.

You want to drive a Tank? Why not there are hundred of them and fully functional but they cost so much fuel that they aren´t rentable. Maybe u use them just as a stationary big gun if u find some ammo. Also cars are everywhere but you should have in mind that offroad they wearout much more than on road - and why you can´t use roads everytime? Right because of blockades and abandoned cars.

I hope you can get the point with my crappy school english ^^. Maybe Developers talked about a believeable environment but never saw something like that. I only read they put new Loot, crafting Stuff, vehicles, loot allocation and permanent objects in.

Another Idea would be a sleep mode. So beds and bedrolls become a sense. Logout stands for "sleeping" and if you logout unprotected in some wilderness you have a increased chance to get ill. The weather and healthstate is important too.

We could say at 10 degree and no rain: 27% to get ill by logout in wilderness

10% to get ill by logout in wilderness with bedrolls

5% with tent + bedroll

0% in a warmed up house with a bed

Otherwise if you are ill you can cure it much more effectiv if you sleep in a warm bed. I know this system would be maybe too much but I really like the Idea. So combat logout would be everytime with a risk. Same is with disconnects... but nothing is perfect :)

Edited by frageteufel
  • Like 1

It has been discussed at great lengths that the environment has nowhere near enough decay, damage, and feces smeared about. I think i read in the roadmap, feces will be fully funtional by Q1 2016. Let's hope it comes to fruition! *fingers crossed*

Another question is about destroyed tanks... could zombies destroy tanks? Are they able to handle a rocketlauncher?

The game is supposed to take place after Arma2, where you had a little bit of a civil war going on.

It takes a lot of effort to clear heavy vehicles like that.

The game is supposed to take place after Arma2, where you had a little bit of a civil war going on.

It takes a lot of effort to clear heavy vehicles like that.

This...they could have also been destroyed by rioters or whatever sort of insurgency was left after the war.  There's a military convoy that's destroyed to the north (heading towards Russia), could be said that it was the local military garrison disobeying orders and trying to flee the quarantine (if there was one) and was destroyed by CDF forces attempting to keep the quarantine or by the Russians trying to do the same.  They could have been destroyed as a preventive measure or SOP, worried that the outbreak might be contained and now there's a bunch of tanks and armored vehicles unaccounted for in the hands of angry civilians/rebels.

The lack of 'decay' could also be explained that the event just happened so fast there wasn't truly time to mount a response of any meaning.  Then again there's mixed signs about, Vehicles being 'decayed' to a point you would expect that YEARS have passed since the incident, whereas we've been told that time hasn't passed that quickly since the outbreak ended (think it's been said we're as close to a few days to weeks after the collapse).  For all we know it could have taken a year or two from Z(ombie) Day to get to Day Z(ero)

Then again remember that this game is nowhere near finished, it's just barely nearing the end of Alpha stage.  We also don't really know WHAT happened other than Zombie outbreak infested the entire world, and there's only 2% of the world's population left alive (EDIT: AND uninfected.  We must remember that the 'zombies' are technically alive...).  And they do add in more 'flair' with each patch.  Mass graves, overturned buses, other such things.

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 2

i myself mentioned this several times before, environment needs serous changes.

Still, i know that several other things are in the works that they can't focus on this. i simply do respect devs priorities. i know for a fact that they do want to change the world in this way but there are still things that need to be added and get fixed that are far more important than this. FYI, they are planing to make a new map after version 1.0 so we can hope it's more like an Apocalypse world.

and after all this, they mentioned that there is a BIG UPDATE coming to the map, so we should wait for that, a man can only dream, right ? :D  

I think i read in the roadmap, feces will be fully funtional by Q1 2016. Let's hope it comes to fruition! *fingers crossed*

It concerns me that this excites you. :( :D

• Like 1

I see what you mean about the vehicles. I remember the devs stating that this was the intention, for a car itself to be fairly common but require a lot of work to actually get one operational and maintain it. But I don't think tanks should be common like that, just to prevent the game from becoming just another military simulator.

I disagree on the sleeping while offline thing though. It just doesn't fit DayZ I'm my opinion.

Edited by OnionOfShame

I really hope they add loads of mysterious elements that build a believable world.

What I want is something akin to the Mount Chiliad conspiracy of GTA V, something that is never explicitly explained by the developers, but a huge mystery or puzzle that players can piece together and wear tin-foil hats over on the forums. The sort of vague and interesting thing that can lead to lots of different theories and throw up red herrings etc.

I really hope they add loads of mysterious elements that build a believable world.

What I want is something akin to the Mount Chiliad conspiracy of GTA V, something that is never explicitly explained by the developers, but a huge mystery or puzzle that players can piece together and wear tin-foil hats over on the forums. The sort of vague and interesting thing that can lead to lots of different theories and throw up red herrings etc.

Green Mountain?

Green Mountain?

Yeah something along those lines but y'know more stuff to speculate on

I see what you mean about the vehicles. I remember the devs stating that this was the intention, for a car itself to be fairly common but require a lot of work to actually get one operational and maintain it. But I don't think tanks should be common like that, just to prevent the game from becoming just another military simulator.

I disagree on the sleeping while offline thing though. It just doesn't fit DayZ I'm my opinion.

As I said tanks could be common but surely not rentable. Because Ammo is very rare and a tank needs huge amount of fuel so it´s only for players who got the luxus to search for those things. Just as an endgame object. I also don´t want that Day Z become a military simulator so this should be pure luxus. Maybe more profit way is to use them just as a shelter.

And I agree that sleeping while offline would be too much. But I would like to know if those system could work probably.

I think the developers will be able to add a more detailed state-of-decay type of feeling once we have the new engine, renderer, and things like that.

People say that the outbreak was too fast for any major signs of distress/panic; yes, that is true, but you must also keep in mind that the game takes place a bit after the initial outbreak. And distress and panic is not exclusive to right when the infection hit, but also the aftermath.