Sign in to follow this  
Sperglord

Huge Cargo plane and big airport

Would it be OK to have a big, and I mean BIG Cargo plane?

No bombs or anything just a big Cargo plane, maybe being able to carry vehicles like in the video.

https://youtu.be/K8VidsDz4FY

Of course this plane would be extremely rare and maybe 1 in a 10.000 people would find it and it would require lots of work to make it able to fly.

I was a pilot with my friends and it was amazing but the small airport was pain in the ass

I know that for such a big plane the tiny airport that we have isn't enough so what about making a completely new HUGE airport with entire complex of buildings and huge runways?

like this

post-232726-0-57081800-1438004505_thumb.

But is it really necessary?

What use would a real survivor have with such a large aircraft?

I understand flying is faster means of transportation, but nobody would want to repair and maintain a cargo plane just to get from point A to point B.

If anything, a plane of that size would have the wings torn off, and used as a shelter!

And not to mention the fact that the region of Chernarus the game takes place in, is a predominantly lower-class one, and was in war before the apocalypse. 

They would've had to spend way more than they had to have that plane and runway by themselves, but maintaining the suckers also? Holy hell.

An airstrip of that size would've been a full-on warzone. Someone would want to "take it off their hands".

It's a nopperz from me

just wait til' mods.

• Like 1

But is it really necessary?

What use would a real survivor have with such a large aircraft?

I understand flying is faster means of transportation, but nobody would want to repair and maintain a cargo plane just to get from point A to point B.

If anything, a plane of that size would have the wings torn off, and used as a shelter!

And not to mention the fact that the region of Chernarus the game takes place in, is a predominantly lower-class one, and was in war before the apocalypse. 

They would've had to spend way more than they had to have that plane and runway by themselves, but maintaining the suckers also? Holy hell.

An airstrip of that size would've been a full-on warzone. Someone would want to "take it off their hands".

It's a nopperz from me

just wait til' mods.

For transporting multiple vehicles from point A to B and for fun of course, in dayz mod cargo plane had no use  yet people were happy to fly it just because it's fun

and the big airport yes there  would be PvP just like in every airport and every city so obviously you wouldnt try to fly a plane there alone but with a squad

and if someone wants to fly the plane instead of breaking it into parts and making shelter it's his decision

+As I mentioned it would be extremly rare like 0.0001% of spawning so if one guy finds it he will fly it just so people see him flying the beast plane and think how badass he is :D

But anyway even if not the plane I think the huge airport itself would be something interesting, because the airport that we have now is just a stupid large field with a few tiny buildings here and there where you can get sniped from across the place, and that's supposed to be the "hardcore north"? A complex and big arport with lots of big enterable buildings would really require teamwork and some good tactics

Edited by Sperglord

No thank you.

I 1) see no real use, 2) can't see even a large clan wasting the time to find, repair and maintain the aircraft, as well as maintain the facilities for it.

Useless.

I think it'd be pretty cool to have a large cargo plane at one of the airfields. It should be static like the beached ship, but contain a little bit of everything. 

It'd also add a nice bit of cover for somebody crossing the airfield. It should be damaged in some way (maybe one or more of the engines could be blown out or something) else it wouldn't make sense for it not to be repairable. 

• Like 1

Why shouldn't it be repairable? It would be interesting to have one on a few servers (not all of them more like 1 in 10 or even less) and requiring an immense amount of labor to get going again but ultimately (in theory given the size of the task) working. Might make for a pretty good "end game" feature - a huge project that has a very specified purpose (traveling and transporting between airstrips) and is not permanent (planes can crash or be destroyed).

Edited by Evil Minion

I think it'd be pretty cool to have a large cargo plane at one of the airfields. It should be static like the beached ship, but contain a little bit of everything. 

It'd also add a nice bit of cover for somebody crossing the airfield. It should be damaged in some way (maybe one or more of the engines could be blown out or something) else it wouldn't make sense for it not to be repairable. 

I couldn't agree more, we need more static plane wrecks in the game, currently the only I know of is the crashed Airliner in Chernogorsk. More Military and Civilian plane wrecks are a must, while many I believe will not be able to fly, they can be extremely useful in scavenging spare parts for air vehicles and could for the example of Cargo planes house a mix of civilian and military loot.

The largest Military Cargo Plane is a C-5 Galaxy, next I would presume is a more appropriate Antonov An-225 Mriya, possible we could even see a more common C-130 Hercules too.

One thing that would be a good thing is being able to climb up one of the wings (one of the reasons why it's a wreck)

The game has already strayed away from being a normal civilian survivalist to trained marine/navy seal/spetsnaz.  Why the hell not.  But we'll need fighter jets to take it out as well as GA/AA launchers.

Ehh ever been thinking why everybody wants a heli and not a plane? You can't hide a plane in the forest or in your base, but you can do that with a heli. It just is too hard to keep a plane that it's not worth it, you would have to have the whole airport defended to even land without getting shot...

Ehh ever been thinking why everybody wants a heli and not a plane? You can't hide a plane in the forest or in your base, but you can do that with a heli. It just is too hard to keep a plane that it's not worth it, you would have to have the whole airport defended to even land without getting shot...

Exactly. I could maybe see a very small 3-4 passenger plane, as this wouldn't necessarily need a dedicated runway to land (could use some flat fields and streets). But a plane the size OP is suggesting could only land at dedicated airfields. And all airfields are very popular looting/PvP locations, so you're basically guaranteed to get killed before you can exit the plane and get out of the middle of the runway. To safely land and store a plane that size you would have to control the entire airfield as your base, and to make it useful at all you would have to control another airfield as a base to have a place to go. At that rate I can't see anyone thinking that it's worth the effort.

man , how about dinosaurs too.

Edited by gibonez

man , how about dinosaurs too.

I know you hate the idea of DayZ having any aircraft at all, but you can't seriously believe that an international airport with cargo planes is as unbelievable as having the Tyrannosaur in the game.

Granted - I see no reason for anything too big on Chernarus, and the NWAF works fine for the "international airport" job, but the idea of aircraft is not fantasy.

I know you hate the idea of DayZ having any aircraft at all, but you can't seriously believe that an international airport with cargo planes is as unbelievable as having the Tyrannosaur in the game.

Granted - I see no reason for anything too big on Chernarus, and the NWAF works fine for the "international airport" job, but the idea of aircraft is not fantasy.

The idea of random survivors being able to pilot them sure is.

Except we know nothing about the background of these survivors, who are capable of feats arguably just as difficult as flying a plane.

The survivors are just a blank template to represent the player. Their limitations are decided based on what the devs feel is best for the gameplay - and aircraft apparently fit that narrative, according to them.

And either way, the idea of pilots surviving the apocalypse, or people learning how to fly afterwards, isn't some fantasy idea. It's a stretch, sure, but not impossible.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Also, there'd be so much fuel laying around to fill a cargo plane up, right?

• Like 1

Also, there'd be so much fuel laying around to fill a cargo plane up, right?

There probably would be actually. I don't think jet fuel would be of very high priority to most survivors, so most of it would still be lying around at the airfield.

And are random survivors Masters at handling military guns and repairing cars? You don't find a skill book or add points to "Rifles" in a skill tree. YOU have to know how to handle a rifle with your mouse.

In DayZ its not the character that can do something, its the player. Flying a plane requires some lessons and practice or you will crash. And if you master it as a player then your character masters it too

Edited by Sperglord

And are random survivors Masters at handling military guns and repairing cars? You don't find a skill book or add points to "Rifles" in a skill tree. YOU have to know how to handle a rifle with your mouse.

In DayZ its not the character that can do something, its the player. Flying a plane requires some lessons and practice or you will crash. And if you master it as a player then your character masters it too

Any imbecile can fire a rifle or do basic car maintenance.

Military rifles are built that way.

Flying aircraft however ahaha no way in hell.

There are still gamplay elements you need to get used to when firing a military rifle ingame:

• sway (most people who hate on sway do it because it prevents them from becoming Simo Häyhä without much trouble)
  • recoil and dexterity
  • bullet drop (somehat simplified by magic scope zeroing)
  • bullet travel time
  • free aim when hip firing, wind and weather (hopefully at some point)

Flying a plane could be somewhat similar but on a higher level: provide the controls but do not make them overly simplied. So most survivors would not be able to fly the plane anywhere but maybe the next building wall. That's fine. And if the player figures out how to fly a plane and gets her hands on one (both should be quite difficult "end game" tasks) why shouldn't she be able to use it? This also gives some value to specific players. You KoSed the pilot? Good luck trying to get some value out of this plane!

There probably would be actually. I don't think jet fuel would be of very high priority to most survivors, so most of it would still be lying around at the airfield.

And do you know how to fill an airplane up?  The full process?  I can tell you that you won't drive a cargo plane to a gas pump

And do you know how to fill an airplane up? The full process? I can tell you that you won't drive a cargo plane to a gas pump

Refueling an airplane isn't actually that complicated a process. You will need a lot of people to do it properly, but in reality it's basically like refueling a car but with more safeguards/doors to open, and everything being much bigger. We're not synthesizing the fuel ourselves here.

Keep in mind I'm not supporting this idea. I posted earlier in this thread explaining why it isn't a feasible addition for this game.