Sign in to follow this  
nl

end product - how will new players know howto xxx?

I am just amazed that after playing hundreds of hours (and a break of 7 months) how many things I still don't know about this game.

Many of those things are bugs and how to handle them and those will be largely ironed out by the time the games reaches 1.0 but for example it was only yesterday when I found out there is something like a crafted suppressor and only because someone made a remark about it.

Can you imagine how much there will be to learn for someone never having played the alpha and beta and just jump into the finished product?

How do you think this will be handled by BI?

Will there be a manual of survival guide or will they just let them swim and make them find out everything themselves or through the forum?

Edited by SAK
  • Like 1

Maybe some single player tutorial zone will be added in the future where you'll learn the basics of the game.

Like Arma boot camp or something.

by the time the games reaches vanilla

Why does it have to be vanilla, not chocolate?

Seriously, though:

it can't "reach Vanilla", as it's already vanilla. A mod or an addon / expansion would be considered "not vanilla", but as it is right now, it's vanilla - just not 1.0.

• Like 5

Why does it have to be vanilla, not chocolate?

Seriously, though:

it can't "reach Vanilla", as it's already vanilla. A mod or an addon / expansion would be considered "not vanilla", but as it is right now, it's vanilla - just not 1.0.

Oh I always thought vanilla was the term used for a completed product, guess not :) Changed title.

Edited by SAK

Vanilla argument aside :P  I hope in the end they use the in game books as various "survival guides" and have information like this in them that can actually be of use to read.

• Like 5

Vanilla argument aside :P  I hope in the end they use the in game books as various "survival guides" and have information like this in them that can actually be of use to read.

That is nice idea!

Everything gets posted here on the forums and in wiki pages.

Someone with the most basic ability to google questions regarding anything in DayZ will be met with forum posts and youtube videos.

There is no need for Bohemia to add an official survival guide either in the game or online.

There will however be a single player mode which will probably be easier to learn on, especially if infected can be turned off.

• Like 1

i like your idea of a survival guide have pictures and such have it go with the lore when it comes to the art and put it in the main menu or make it something our toons can look at from the inventory. If not theres a wiki.

I expect there'll be a tutorial of some sort to teach how movement and inventory works, along with a couple of game basics like food, crafting, staying warm, etc..

It is all very straightforward, though, and there are plenty of tutorial videos out there so I don't think there really needs to be a tutorial. Game wouldn't suffer if it had one, though.

Edited by BeefBacon

I really like the idea of a very basic ingame tutorial to get you started and then the books you find with ways of crafting more "exotic" stuff. That way, as was said, the books have more meaning and maybe even end up being trade items or conversation pieces in the game. With persistence one might even become a librarian :) Can you see it? Five army tents in a row. One handling food, one handling crafting items, one about weapons, one about vehicles and one about Chernarus, navigation, general loot and sites. A trade item gives you the chance to read 1 volume, or maybe more if the item is special.

:thumbsup:

I would expect a nice, proper .pdf user manual when the game goes to 1.0.  Easy enough to add to, should changes be made.  Its not like you're printing them like the old days, as rad as that was.

How many people are not familiar with fps mechanics??  The best part of DayZ and even the Arma games is the learning curve involved.  Besides, there are tutorials all over youtube that hand hold you on how to play DayZ.

How many people are not familiar with fps mechanics??  The best part of DayZ and even the Arma games is the learning curve involved.  Besides, there are tutorials all over youtube that hand hold you on how to play DayZ.

Yes, but, a tutorial would allow for the extreme basics of the game. that would greatly appeal to the "new players" that want to try the game out, but are too nervous to dive right in. I still learn about stuff I can do in game all the time, and there's already ALOT.

There's no shame in doing a simple tutorial, and, by simple, I mean 10 to 15 minutes. AKA Food, Water, Basic Medical, Infected and Weapons.

Yes, but, a tutorial would allow for the extreme basics of the game. that would greatly appeal to the "new players" that want to try the game out, but are too nervous to dive right in. I still learn about stuff I can do in game all the time, and there's already ALOT.

There's no shame in doing a simple tutorial, and, by simple, I mean 10 to 15 minutes. AKA Food, Water, Basic Medical, Infected and Weapons.

I personally believe a game like DayZ benefits from learning mostly yourself. Or by learning by interacting with other players.

But as with any complicated game, you'll eventually be checking the wiki anyway.

​Since the game has become surprising popular, a simple tutorial or basic tooltip would be beneficial. 

No tutorial needed. If i could i whipe my mapknowledge and everything game related and start anew. The first 200h where the best...

• Like 1

Well very basics could be teached but after that it just becomes "I can do that in real life so maybe test or google if I can do that in DayZ" That suppressor thing is a good example because some people know that's possible to do and likely even try that out because they've seen some DIY Shooting Range Youtube video.

They will make a booklet like Minecraft did and put in stores for kiddies to buys so they can get more money

• Like 1

Learning the hard lessons the hard way is fun and satisfying.  You spawn with a rag and a light only.  A great reflection of the survival aspect of DayZ.  Having more than what is essential nerfs the game and experience, IMO.

I think the many available wikis are more than enough.  Once I got the controls down, the game went pretty intuitively; aside from all of the incomplete mechanics and things with no use yet.  Once the full release is ready, people can either learn by doing, or read up on the wikis.  Personally, I am the only one I know who actually reads the manuals for games, and all of my friends would reliably give me shit about it when they caught me educating myself like some cheating fanboy.  A simple keybinding map for quick reference would be useful for the first 100 hours.  I really like the idea of having crafting manuals in-game, like some kind of Poor Man's James Bond, or a mountain-man survival guide; perhaps a few different categories of books with balanced rarity would add some much-needed depth to the game world.

Forget tutorials, throw 'em in the deep end and take away the ladder!

No, there shouldn't be any "guides" or "tutorials". They need to learn for themselves, how to survive.