st20wind

Obtain higher FPS in DayZ

Almost same, but my CPU is 2.4 and 4GB ram. Windows 8.1

Don't expect miracles when the game gets optimized then.  With that CPU and so little ram you will not notice anything.

• Like 1

Don't expect miracles when the game gets optimized then.  With that CPU and so little ram you will not notice anything.

Not expecting anything, I am content with what I have now.

• Like 1

This didn't do anything on my 980Ti and 5820k at 4.6ghz. Game still runs like complete ass (40-80 woods and 20-30 in cities). Worst optimization i have ever seen in history after PC gaming for 8 years.

Edited by grimsonfart

Worst optimization i have ever seen in history after PC gaming for 8 years.

That's because there has been any  :facepalm:

This didn't do anything on my 980Ti and 5820k at 4.6ghz. Game still runs like complete ass (40-80 woods and 20-30 in cities). Worst optimization i have ever seen in history after PC gaming for 8 years.

You've been PC gaming for 8 years, you must be old?

Seriously though my tower is almost 8 years old and I'm getting the same fps as you on exp right now, lol.

Wait for them to get the optimization in and done if it's that big a deal. 

You've been PC gaming for 8 years, you must be old?

Seriously though my tower is almost 8 years old and I'm getting the same fps as you on exp right now, lol.

Wait for them to get the optimization in and done if it's that big a deal. 

Ah, the good old "age" criticism, just because i'm not 40 years old with 20 years of gaming behind my back doesn't mean i don't have a valid reason to complain.

"it's done when it's done", duh i'm so impatient, i'm coming back in another 2 years to see if they fixed anything, no fingers crossed this time.

Ah, the good old "age" criticism, just because i'm not 40 years old with 20 years of gaming behind my back doesn't mean i don't have a valid reason to complain.

"it's done when it's done", duh i'm so impatient, i'm coming back in another 2 years to see if they fixed anything, no fingers crossed this time.

My guess the criticism isn't your age, but how you act. Without trying to bait you, you do sound like every other complainer we've had here. "Game not optimized, blah blah, they don't fix anything ever, blah blah, game will never be finished, blah blah..." That shtick got kinda old after the first 90 million times.

• Like 2

My guess the criticism isn't your age, but how you act. Without trying to bait you, you do sound like every other complainer we've had here. "Game not optimized, blah blah, they don't fix anything ever, blah blah, game will never be finished, blah blah..." That shtick got kinda old after the first 90 million times.

I understand people are getting sick of seeing it, but since it doesn't get fixed it's still a valid complaint.

I understand people are getting sick of seeing it, but since it doesn't get fixed it's still a valid complaint.

Well, no... It's kinda like going to the garage complaining that they haven't painted your car when they're still working on the bodywork, even though they told you beforehand that painting comes last.

• Like 2

It's not a valid complaint at all. Not yet.

Read this.

"Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware.[3] Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[4] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview / technology preview (TP),[5] or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta, where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release."

EDIT: teh splelingz

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2

-stuff-

I kinda hope DayZ becomes one of those perpetual beta things where they keep adding, removing and tweaking things as time progresses. Like, keep the experimental servers for all the testing, and only push to stable when it's been tried and tested properly.

That program is only useful to those who do not know how to maintain a clean computer and downloads files from every unknown source on the internet which then leads to having a crap tone of useless processes running in the background.  Those who keep their computers clean will not notice much of an improvement if any at all.

I kinda hope DayZ becomes one of those perpetual beta things where they keep adding, removing and tweaking things as time progresses. Like, keep the experimental servers for all the testing, and only push to stable when it's been tried and tested properly.

Doesnt matter what definition/theory DayZ fits. Its barely comparable to any early acces title now or in history anyway. And i feel like the devs are doing it that way u mentioned, so dont worry ;)

Well, no... It's kinda like going to the garage complaining that they haven't painted your car when they're still working on the bodywork, even though they told you beforehand that painting comes last.

Well, no, since you can drive your car without the painting, but if your engine keeps stalling it's a different story. And i don't really care about people saying it's in ALPHA or BETA, performance and playability is FUNDIMENTAL, it has been ignored ever since the start of development, which is like 2 years now? Ask people, make a poll and see what they will complain about the most. Any decent gamer should react to this in a negative way unless you are lucky or just plain don't give a crap about performance (in which case good for you, keep on enjoying this game). 

I'm talking strictly about performance and not the rest of the game which can progress in whatever speed it needs to. I think it's a great game but for me nearly unplayable and not a very enjoyable experience anymore.

Well, no, since you can drive your car without the painting, but if your engine keeps stalling it's a different story. And i don't really care about people saying it's in ALPHA or BETA, performance and playability is FUNDIMENTAL, it has been ignored ever since the start of development, which is like 2 years now? Ask people, make a poll and see what they will complain about the most. Any decent gamer should react to this in a negative way unless you are lucky or just plain don't give a crap about performance (in which case good for you, keep on enjoying this game). 

I'm talking strictly about performance and not the rest of the game which can progress in whatever speed it needs to. I think it's a great game but for me nearly unplayable and not a very enjoyable experience anymore.

I dont mean to be rude, i feel the pain aswell, though imho its "barking on a wrong tree" or how is it said :). Its being developed on the way, every1 has been warned about it, u click on "I understand" when playing. They dont do anything wrong, they did not give us any promise or right to demand anything. Thats the reality.

U are right about performance being important and thats why devs are working hard on it, but it takes more time, than they planed - It happens.

The focus now is on the new renderer and its implementation into the engine while separating it from simulation. Simple said. 
They are aiming to at least doubling the average fps in crowded areas like city...
Many important performance updates will hapen after that i believe.
It would be nice to have the new renderer stuff going on as a christmass gift, though nobody knows atm, when it will be implemented to boost our fps a lot.

Also they are heavily working on the zeds/infected and how they are affecting server performance.

Edited by chrochtadlo
  • Like 1

For those who complain and say the game is unplayable due to performance are either a} lying, b} trying to run the game on a complete potato that doesn't remotely match the requirements or c} have so much crap running on their computer that it just bogs down their system.

Performance is not the number one priority.  Creating the game so it's whole comes first then performance and that is an actual fact.  

For those who complain and say the game is unplayable due to performance are either a} lying, b} trying to run the game on a complete potato that doesn't remotely match the requirements or c} have so much crap running on their computer that it just bogs down their system.

Performance is not the number one priority.  Creating the game so it's whole comes first then performance and that is an actual fact.  

5820k, 980Ti, fresh install of Windows 8.1 and runs like crap. Old setup with 3770k and 670 ran it better. I guess i'm just unlucky, as it wouldn't be first time very high-end system gets stomped. And i completely agree, performance is not nr.1 priority, but by now i would have expected something, not nothing compared to the mod.

And keeping the dirty work for last eh? I will be fun cleaning up everything in the end they said.... it will be easy they said.... (by the way, i do have game development insight, but only artist side not programmer. I know for a fact that cleaning up a scene afterwards is an absolutely ridiculous task).

Edited by grimsonfart

5820k, 980Ti, fresh install of Windows 8.1 and runs like crap. Old setup with 3770k and 670 ran it better. I guess i'm just unlucky, as it wouldn't be first time very high-end system gets stomped. And i completely agree, performance is not nr.1 priority, but by now i would have expected something, not nothing compared to the mod.

And keeping the dirty work for last eh? I will be fun cleaning up everything in the end they said.... it will be easy they said.... (by the way, i do have game development insight, but only artist side not programmer. I know for a fact that cleaning up a scene afterwards is an absolutely ridiculous task).

For development, you generally get all the features in first, then fix the bugs. If code a depends on code b, and you fix code b before implementing code c which will also use code b, you risk having to redo your work twice. Hence why beta is the "feature-complete" stage of development, and alpha is the "cram crap in here and see how it works"-stage. That's the reason they're giving you several warnings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

I've had the most fun i've had in awhile in DayZ SA. I'm starting to get the mod feeling back while PVPing in Elektro. I have to thank most of that for the higher performance boost by this tho. I seriously suggest anyone with sub-par FPS to try this out, if it doesn't work, just uninstall. Very simple, yet very rewarding.

• Like 1

What config changes have you made?

What config changes have you made?

Every possible really. 

scene_complexity, GPU_MaxFrames and loads others inside the .cfg a profile

startup parameters were useless and have never made any difference for me.

I have been playing since the mod back in may 2012, so i have pretty much done every possible tweak as well as browsed countless of articles.

For development, you generally get all the features in first, then fix the bugs. If code a depends on code b, and you fix code b before implementing code c which will also use code b, you risk having to redo your work twice. Hence why beta is the "feature-complete" stage of development, and alpha is the "cram crap in here and see how it works"-stage. That's the reason they're giving you several warnings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

I get that, i'm just disappointed they haven't done anything about it yet after all this time that's all. Been waiting patiently for a long time to see this problem in the spotlight, even though it's one of the major flaws and has always been since the release of the mod it always gets ignored because "It's an alpha" hurr durr, let's just ignore it until all our hats and jackets are implemented.

Edited by grimsonfart

Saay, that's a nice voice ya got there. 

I'm sick of having to turn off all my process every time I want to play, or have to restart for some reason. But my laptop benefits greatly when this is done.
Just the fact that it'll do this for me, and probably know more stuff that can be turned off, I'm defiantly going to give this a try right now.

Do you know if it can also set DayZ Standalone to always play at high priority? I usually turn Steam on low, and DayZ on high (Realtime is unstable for me sometimes). I have to race through the task menu and set it to high before the game starts, as I'm not sure how to make it run on high by default.

Saay, that's a nice voice ya got there. 

I'm sick of having to turn off all my process every time I want to play, or have to restart for some reason. But my laptop benefits greatly when this is done.

Just the fact that it'll do this for me, and probably know more stuff that can be turned off, I'm defiantly going to give this a try right now.

Do you know if it can also set DayZ Standalone to always play at high priority? I usually turn Steam on low, and DayZ on high (Realtime is unstable for me sometimes). I have to race through the task menu and set it to high before the game starts, as I'm not sure how to make it run on high by default.

No way to default it to high priority I know of but would like to know if there is as well.

You can alt+tab in and out of game to use task manager after it's started and using the startup flag -nopause seems to make tabbing in and out faster.

The OP's suggested booster will kill task manager along with other processes too BTW.  

Edited by BCBasher