Zachy/RippahZach

Resting - The fourth survival need.

(If you dont know the third survival need of DayZ, its warmth)

Ok guys, I was playing DayZ at night time (on the server) and I was wondering 'Why doesn't he get tired?' Then, a couple days later, my character became stuffed from drinking at the pump in Elektro, and this time I was thinking 'What do I do when im stuffed from water.. oh, right, thats it! I go take a leak!'. What im trying to say is that in all of the days i've played DayZ, I noticed that my character never suffers from tiredness nor does he suffer from the need to 'let go' (if you know what I mean  ;)). So, I decided to submit a suggestion to increase the immersion level of this game by adding a new basic survival need.

The survival need i've come up with is Resting. basically, Resting acts the same as Hydrating and Energizing - the negative side (like thirsty or hungry) is called 'tired', and starts at yellow, then to orange, then at red. The positive side is called 'rested' and starts at dark green, then to light green. The penalty of not sleeping could either be the good old black 'n' white effect, or nausea, then afterwards a falling of unconciousness.

-

Ok, here is the Resting process laid out simple so you can read it clearly.

- The Resting Process has three 'parts', 'rested', 'tired' and 'drowsey'.

- 'Rested' means that you wont have to sleep for a while, and has two tiers: dark green and light green.

- 'Tired' means that you'll need to sleep relatively soon, and has three tiers: yellow, orange and red.

- 'Drowsey' means that you've slept to much, and has three tiers: yellow, orange and red.

- You can sleep in either a random bed in a suburban home, or a sleeping bag.

- The beds in suburban homes are more comfortable, allowing you to reach the 'Rested' stage faster than a sleeping bag.

- Sleeping bags are portable beds, making them easier to use and are safer to use, but you dont gain rest as fast as you would in a bed.

- Sleeping bags take a 1x3 inventory space.

- Sleeping bags can come in several colors and designs.

- Black.

- Blue.

- Red.

- Green.

- Bright Yellow.

- Camo.

- Ghillies can be applied to sleeping bags.

- If you don't sleep, the penalties will kick in at the orange level of 'tired'.

- The penalty is nausea.

- If you delay your sleeping for too long and go into the red level, you will eventually fall unconcious.

- The penalty process takes twice as long as the Hydration penalty process does.

-

And thats about it! do remember that I am fully open to suggestions.

THX CYA

• Like 2

Crap forgot to mention the excretion. Yea, just so you know its a joke. I dont think DayZ needs an excretion factor just yet  ;) .

suggested resting months ago and was laughed at, though mine was just to aid healing and recovery. but with this one i think the sleeping bag would attach to bottom of backpack like smersh backpack does as that is where mine goes when im camping else takes up too much room in it

To be honest, I don't think we really need a sleep mechanic for the game, real life does this for us IMO.  We already have a sort of rest mechanic, though it is very early/placeholder.  If your running around sprinting and try to shoot your aim will be shaky at best.

To go back to my first point, the requirement to sleep is unnecessary for this game.  For the most part time is 1:1 (though there will be the option to accelerate time for private servers), so if someone plays for 24 hours without rest they're going to suffer the effects in game (and out).  Logging out should be considered as sleep in game.  Then there's the other side to consider, people aren't going to play if they need to be sleeping in game to recover, it'll be not only boring but chase away the people who have a very limited time to play the game.

Now if they were to add a sleep mechanic, I think it should be considered more of a 'buff' than a requirement.  IE interacting with a bed, tent, or sleeping bag will increase your rate of healing and decrease your thirst and hunger rates.  Logging out in this state will still allow you to heal while offline (at a HIGHLY reduced rate, but better than nothing) rather than just 'pausing' your character till you log in.  That way after your big PVP or mishap with some zombies you can drag your broken legs to a house, set up a 'camp' for the night, eat, start a fire, get warm, drink, bandage yourself and lay down before you log out, so while you're at school, or sleeping in real life you'll be slowly recovering health.  It wouldn't be much but it'd be better than logging out near dead with broken legs and arms, only to log back in and go, "Oh right...F12."  Not to say they should make it like Rust or ARK where when you log out anyone can come by and smash your head with a rock (other than the current logout timer we already have).

Some sort of rest or 'inactive' buff should also apply.  IE the 'wounded' guy can be dragged back to camp, bandage, eat, drink, stay at the camp, do some crafting/cooking for the group while the others are out hunting/scavenging.

The main thing is: nobody sits in front of a screen (playing a video game) and watches a blank/black screen while doing nothing. In a single player game you can simulate sleep by turning the screen black for a few seconds and fast-forward the ingame time by some hours.

How do you propose the sleeping mechanic to work?

Resting for 30 seconds to get well rested isnt realistic and standing by your computer while your character sleeps for 8 hours isnt fun.

All very good points. Im not sure, but I do like the idea of it being a 'buff' rather than a 'requirement', but I guess its up to the devs.

I think a sleeping bag would be cool to slow your metabolism maybe you could kinda rest as OP said. say you just spawned and your starving your friend has food you have none you could sleep which also gives a black screen or shows you sleeping either or and it slows your use of food and drink. maybe its a crap idea oh well. as survivors we probably wouldn't really sleep much but a few hours if we were lucky and i'm sure it would be nightmarish indeed. this resting could be tied into stamina somehow no buffs or anything but maybe it could be tied to the healthy buff which then they could add amphetamines and with those you could eliminate the need for rest for a few days then madness and disease would occur same with alcohol maybe it can give you a the ability to not be knocked out or feel shock from minor gunshots and melee.  

Personally I don't like this idea. This is one thing that should be simulated by the player going offline and sleeping in real life. And there already is a fatigue effect. Your character getting out of breath after running (this system is being overhauled eventually).

I do support the excretion idea though, it would have to be implemented correctly though.

What I think DayZ needs is a depression/entertainment mechanic, sort of like Project Zomboid. But that's another discussion for another thread, and besides, many people have expressed their distaste of the concept so I doubt it will be added.

Edited by OnionOfShame

Stupid idea. I play a game to do stuff not to sit and look at my screen whilst my character is asleep

• Like 1

I think with a game like Dayz the traditional criteria of what you do in a game to have fun or what is needed should and probably is thrown out the window.

Resting could be a good gameplay mechanic if done correctly and if it even has the slightest potential to improve the survival mechanics of the game then they should be looked into.

I think with a game like Dayz the traditional criteria of what you do in a game to have fun or what is needed should and probably is thrown out the window.

Resting could be a good gameplay mechanic if done correctly and if it even has the slightest potential to improve the survival mechanics of the game then they should be looked into.

There's challenging the traditional criteria of what you do in a game to have fun, and there are shit ideas.

Having to spend time resting in the game is in the overlap on that venn diagram. I am not going to "play" a game that involves me sitting there and waiting until my character is rested. There is precious little time in my life and I am not going to spend it doing that. When I have the free time to do some gaming, I actually want to do some gaming. I have a job, a girlfriend and a social life, if I had to spend what little time I do have gaming, waiting for my character to rest, I am most certainly going to spend that time playing a better game.

Challenging our sense of what is fun for the sake of it is not the same as a well designed or interesting mechanic.

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 1

No sleeping. No pissing. No pooping.

I'm fine with resting, though. Sitting down for a minute or two should restore your stamina.

No sleeping. No pissing. No pooping.

I'm fine with resting, though. Sitting down for a minute or two should restore your stamina.

Yes to the resting for a few minutes.  The other two, I'm still undecided on.  

i would be down for a ~5min rest at a bed, nothing too extreme though.

Resting is not a good multiplayer survival mechanic, in my opinion. It works in something like "The Long Dark" since you can just turbo through your sleep cycle. I would support something like a sleep animation/emote but we need more active mechanics (e.g. barricading) and less passive/janky/random mechanics (e.g. apple picking, fishing).

If I were to create a game of this kind and magnitude I most certainly would implement a sleeping and resting mechanic. It would basically send the character in a sleeping state upon disconnecting, while still removing it from the game world as it is right now. Disconnecting for 6 hours (not for every 6 hours of log out time) your character would regenerate a certain amount of health ranging from 0% of health regeneration upon relogging, after at least 6 hours of off time, to 50% of regeneration (if you are minus 7000 blood you would regenerate 3500. After entering the game for no matter how long and then logging off again for at least another 6 hours you would regenerate 1750 blood and so on. Therefore you wouldn't be able to regenerate to full health solely through sleeping and the process would take significantly longer the healthier you are), all depending on the state of your resting place. In a somewhat comfortable bed you will get the full bonus and logging off in the middle of nowhere will not grant you any regeneration boost at all. (In my hypothetical game there would even be a 50% damage to your health in said situation.)

Then there would be certain kind of meds, such as sleeping pills for example, as someone suggested in this thread already, to counter some of these effects, when you are forced to log off outside of a saveplace.

And to add further incentive to look for the benefits of a home to return to once in a while and to maintain, you should only get the full amount of regeneration after properly barricading a shelter.

If someone breaks your barricade while your logged off (or simply away on adventure) you will not suffer any repercussions but to simply have to re-barricade your shelter again to get the full amount of regeneration bonus again. Barricading a shelter should not be limited to locking the door by the way. A fully barricaded house with all its resting benefts should expand to boarding up broken windows and reinforcing the door and whatnot. So there would always be houses and shelters that require less work than others and re-barricading a broken door after someone entered your shelter while you were sleeping is much more practical than setting up camp somewhere else.

Logging off in the wilds with a tent and a campfire for warmth could be quite comfortable and grant you a signifcant health boost upon relogging after at least 6 hours, but there would always be the risk of getting spotted by another survivor, for as long as the campfire is still burning. He wouldn't be able to kill your character after he found your sleeping place because your character wouldn't be in the game while you are logged off, but he would be able to loot your equipment until it vanishes with the campfire. A tent would grant the most health boost in the wilds but would be persistent throughout your entire log off time, exposing your equipment. So there is another risk/reward situation. And you wouldn't set camp automatically everytime you log off, you would be asked by the game if you want to and only after you click yes your character will automatically take shelter in whatever situation your in at the time (sleeping in bed, setting up camp, sleeping in the dirt, with vor without a campfire,...). When you are at full health you don't have the need to set up a fancy camp and risk your equipment being found while you are sleeping. You can keep "being on the move" while your logged off.

These resting effects dependant on your sleeping place could have a lot more effects on your gameplay: you could get tired from sprinting more quickly, you could be forced to carry less weight to counter said stamina effects. You could have to eat/drink more to keep/get your health status, and so on. With this mechanic there would almost be an infinite number of ways to simulate a real life survival situation. One could even implementiert a mechanic for players with longer survival time to need less sleeping or getting more health bonuses upon sleeping, making a long lasting survivor more valuable than only the sum of his (quite easy to replace) loot.

Shelter, be it only to protect you from weather conditions or to keep you more hidden than sleeping in an open field, is one of the most basic needs. (Almost) every living creature resorts to a shelter in one way or another. Combined with getting food (already covered in dayz) and reproducing (not fully implemented in dayz yet) it's all there is in life for almost every species, propably including human beings right after an apocalypse of some kind.

So yeah, i'm all in on a sleeping and resting mechanic!

If I were to create a game of this kind and magnitude...

[snip]

So yeah, i'm all in on a sleeping and resting mechanic!

So, basically the survival equivalent of WoW "rested XP"? That sounds nice as a player retention mechanic. Motivate users to come back to the game or whatever.

I've thought about this a fair bit and how to implement it. My best stab is:

1) You sleep when you log out.

2) You can set up a shelter (e.g. tarp & sleeping bag, survival shelter, tent) as part of your camp.

3) You recuperate (heal your character from wounds, broken bones and illness) in proportion to the amount of real time you spend out of the game (multiplied by time acceleration) up to a maximum (say somewhere in the 12-16 hours range for arguments sake).

4) If you rough it, you don't recuperate as well and are more susceptible to developing illness.

5) Having a lit fire nearby and a full stomach on logout could improve recuperation further.

I think this would add an additional survival element without being too complicated. If necessary you can log out a way from you home base and just take the hit to your players condition, or you could take a few minutes to throw together a temporary shelter in some nearby scrub, or you may have made space in your pack for your tarp and sleeping bag, or bivvy bag so that you just set up and log out.

The main reasons for this kind of mechanic in my mind is to increase the importance of some kind of camp (not just barrel stashes for gear). I truly think that having a camp that is valuable in multiple ways (gear storage, a place to return to to log out, a site for home made, difficult to transport kit such as meat drying racks) will add a lot to Dayz.

BTW it seems likely small, well hidden camps are probably always going to be favoured over larger bases (as per recent concept art) in this game just because it will be hard to sustain enough online presence to defend them from raiders. Concealment will always be safer that walls.

Sleeping should never be implemented, but we should be in need of resting (sitting or laying down for 30-60 seconds, maybe abit more) to regain stamina and possibly increase current maximum stamina, simulating taking a rest and gathering strenght.

Say if you run for 5 mins, you are gonna be tired in game and in need of rest, to be able to regain your lost stamina, from the running. Stuff like that needs to be in the game, but we dont need actual sleeping, it can be done in better ways.