Grimey Rick

TIL that DayZ runs much smoother on Windows 10.

I've got legitimate copies of Windows 7 and 8, so that's two free upgrades to Windows 10 when it officially launches at the end of July.

Really? Ive got legit win7ultimate 64, so I get a free upgrade to 10 as well?

Really? Ive got legit win7ultimate 64, so I get a free upgrade to 10 as well?

Yeah any windows 7 or 8.1 install will get an upgrade to win 10 and id say you would get win 10 pro with that install..

No fps gain at all on my end, and to be honest it has'nt changed to much from windows 8.1 other than uglier ui.

Alot of hype really, the resource management is only slightly better than 8.1 and i guess in the future we will see how good the dx12 is when people start using that api..(couple nice touches i like though, and as usual couple things i wondered why they bothered to change ...)

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 2

Sweet!  I just had a look at it.  It looks terrible. :(  Got alot of that shitty windows 8 look to it.

Edit:  omg

w104.png

Edited by klesh

I run a pretty toned down PC that I would put up against a fresh install on the same hardware anytime.  It sounds like GrimeyRick does as well.  Keeping a machine clean and free of internet debris is essential to performance.  I've been hesitant to consider the 10 upgrade, but after listening to Rick, I will be trying it, sounds good.  Thank you for the information.

I don't believe Windows 10 is what is giving you better performance. I'd bet all by beans that the better performance on the fact that you reformatted your drive BEFORE upgrading.
[Though like someone mentioned, maybe it handles resources better. Also, having reinstalled drivers could have helped too]

I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 without reformatting everything (I was impatient to try it out), and there was no notable difference playing DayZ on 10. 

Also, DX12 isn't even out yet.
:blush: 
[And again, like someone mentioned, it most likely wont help DayZ, because DayZ will be running on DX11 next before 12.

• Like 2

Dayz run's no different on Windows 10 than it does on Windows 7 ...............

Edited by kipps

I don't believe Windows 10 is what is giving you better performance. I'd bet all by beans that the better performance on the fact that you reformatted your drive BEFORE upgrading.

[Though like someone mentioned, maybe it handles resources better. Also, having reinstalled drivers could have helped too]

I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 without reformatting everything (I was impatient to try it out), and there was no notable difference playing DayZ on 10. 

Also, DX12 isn't even out yet.

:blush: 

[And again, like someone mentioned, it most likely wont help DayZ, because DayZ will be running on DX11 next before 12.

Im pretty sure DX12 was released when Win 10 was ( I could be wrong though)

My comp is showing as running on DX12 now (Albeit no games / programs use it yet though, so pretty pointless)

Im pretty sure DX12 was released when Win 10 was ( I could be wrong though)

My comp is showing as running on DX12 now (Albeit no games / programs use it yet though, so pretty pointless)

I wasn't 100% sure when I started writing that, but a quick google check confirmed it.

Where do you see that at? I'd like to check it out myself.  Nevermind, just figured out what that is all about. 

Basically, there is placeholder stuff there, but they've yet to release the actual drivers, etc. 

I see no improvement whatsoever.

If anything, since I upgraded to Windows 10, my performance has worsened. Whereas before in the countryside I could be running upwards of 80-90 fps, now it won't go above 70ish.. Running towards a small town (the one with the powerplant NE of Olsha) dropped my fps to less than 20 and I have never had that on this machine at all.. Now as far as I am aware, all my drivers are up to date. I have updated my gpu driver etc etc.. But I have literally lost maybe 50% of my performance since updating.. Of course I had fps drops on Windows 7, but they were never this severe or drastic and I don't think even in the big cities my fps ever dropped below 45-50ish.. So I have no idea what is happening because I feel everything should be running better than it is right now...

System: i7 4790K oc'd to 4.4ghz, 3gb Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X, 8gb of decent ram etc

If anything, since I upgraded to Windows 10, my performance has worsened. Whereas before in the countryside I could be running upwards of 80-90 fps, now it won't go above 70ish.. Running towards a small town (the one with the powerplant NE of Olsha) dropped my fps to less than 20 and I have never had that on this machine at all.. Now as far as I am aware, all my drivers are up to date. I have updated my gpu driver etc etc.. But I have literally lost maybe 50% of my performance since updating.. Of course I had fps drops on Windows 7, but they were never this severe or drastic and I don't think even in the big cities my fps ever dropped below 45-50ish.. So I have no idea what is happening because I feel everything should be running better than it is right now...

System: i7 4790K oc'd to 4.4ghz, 3gb Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X, 8gb of decent ram etc

Did you reset your control panel options? I have an Nvidia card, but even though I didn't choose to do a clean install on the WIndows 10 driver, I still had to reset all of my global settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe AMD has something similar?

Did you reset your control panel options? I have an Nvidia card, but even though I didn't choose to do a clean install on the WIndows 10 driver, I still had to reset all of my global settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe AMD has something similar?

I actually did the update then a clean install but I will have a look.. Windows 10 installed a Radeon driver which I removed and then clean installed Catalyst Control Center and the gpu drivers.. Just seems odd that everyone else is saying it runs better and I have had such a performance hit..

YMMV, I guess. I saw and felt a performance increase in both of my rigs. Also, not sure why people are hating on the user interface. I'll post pictures of mine later. It's super sexy.

Hello there

My GUI improved vastly once I received my first update. I assume it was a legacy/win7 driver causing everything to look terribad.

Im still not a huge fan but its perfectly tolerable.

Rgds

LoK

You can force the win10 upgrade through the control panel, you don't have to wait. Just MS trying to keep their servers from melting.

You can force the win10 upgrade through the control panel, you don't have to wait. Just MS trying to keep their servers from melting.

This is good news! The science will not be delayed as initially expected.

Alas, I have yet to find the requisite two hours of free time (combined with the motivation) to read through the EULA entire and investigate all this talk about keylogging and spyware. It seems fairly standard to collect certain kinds of data during testing, as Win10 is, but I need to verify whether there exist any insurances in the EULA as to what happens to the data after release, to whom important personal data like my name is sent to, and all that jazz. Alas, these days it is more and more difficult to trust any corporation's policies.

Not that much of an overclock considering the 4790K runs at 4.4ghz out the box on turbo mode. :|

I'm very, very impressed with Windows 10 thus far.

Same here.

Not that much of an overclock considering the 4790K runs at 4.4ghz out the box on turbo mode. :|

I knew nothing of this turbo mode, when I bought it (this in fact http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/overclocked-custom-gaming-hardware-bundle-z87oc20) I chose the mid option for it. I never feel comfortable pushing things a lot further than they should be and I don't trust myself to do it properly to be perfectly honest :) But 4.4 is enough for me... Regardless, still doesn't explain a lot!

Edit: Although I did reclaim a lot of frames using the -newui launch parameter, however, this is not ideal as currently that new ui is clunky as hell...

Edited by GaleKast

I also had a few troubles/performance drops running W10.

But on my end, I believe it's the fact that I'm running a crappy Bestbuy-brought laptop [An AMD-APU with 4 gigs ram, from 2 years ago].

It's normally relatively stable (not accounting the problems I have with DayZ, from trying to keep it at a generally/maximum of 30 FPS on .57, and having to deal with the computer pooping itself after extended use of running dayZ).

Also, I haven't updated it since I started on W10, as I've just got a new job, and have only been using the computer mostly for forums like this in my off-time, and putting on audiobooks at night to help me get to sleep.

I heard W10 is supposed to automatically update itself, but I can't attest to this, as this is the first time in several days I've actually been on for a prolonged period.

I was about to install Windows 10 yesterday, but while downloading the update came across a warning i the internet, apparently Windows 10 will make it's product key usable with only one motherboard, and since i plan to upgrade exactly that and more in about a year, i really can't use an upgrade to Windows 10 right now

i'd rather have windows 8.1 for 5 years than windows 10 for one year and after that having to re-buy it because of need to upgrade my rig -.-

-snip-

Keep in mind too that if you can buy your new mobo before the first year is up, you can still get your upgrade. 

Keep in mind too that if you can buy your new mobo before the first year is up, you can still get your upgrade. 

nvm, i'm currently a trainee in Software Development and can get 2 free Windows 8.1 pro licenses through my schools download portal, so i can upgrade to windows 10 and still have two 8.1 pro versions if i ever want to change back or upgrade my PC ^^

so installed windows 10, and besides finally having a start menu instead of a whol fullscreen page, no performance boost at all

Edited by Zombo

Hello there

Prepare your eyes for the ugliest GUI for decades. Win 10 was hit by the ugly stick tree forest The planet Endor.

rgds

LoK

You're just old and don't like change.

YMMV, I guess. I saw and felt a performance increase in both of my rigs. Also, not sure why people are hating on the user interface. I'll post pictures of mine later. It's super sexy.

Please do. Just came back from my vacation abroad and I'm ready to upgrade all of my rigs whenever I'm back at work again - that way I even get paid for doing that.

• Like 1