Grimey Rick

TIL that DayZ runs much smoother on Windows 10.

Let me start by saying I've run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit since it was released. I briefly tried Windows 8, realized how horrible it was, and quickly went back to Windows 7. When Windows 8.1 was released, I tried that, didn't like it (even though it was leaps and bounds better than Windows 8), and once again went back to Windows 7.

So, today, I decided to format the ol' C: drive for shits 'n' giggles. I'd heard about the Windows 10 trial that's been out for quite a while now and decided to fire it up (since apparently I already have two free upgrades to Windows 10 from my copies of Windows 7 and 8). I must say, I am quite impressed. Not only does it take less than half (I think?) amount of space to install as Windows 7, it's much more responsive, fluid, and sexy. I'm not a huge fan of all of the bells and whistles, mind, but for the most part, I like it. I also loved not having to install anything from a flash drive or disc! No chipset drivers, LAN drivers, nothing! Just straight-out-of-the-metaphorical-box goodness!

Obviously, my next move is to install Steam. Within seconds I had Steam installed (because I'm a computer hacker) and after another few minutes I had the ~9GB worth of DayZ goodness downloaded and ready to rock. I didn't edit any launch parameters or configuration files; I wanted to jump right in.

...and I was amazed...

With everything on maximum, the game was buttery-smooth from the get go. I had logged out near Berezino, and experienced virtually no lag. It was there, but much less so than on Windows 7. Thinking it might just be a fluke, I restarted the computer, launched DayZ again, and loaded back into Berezino. Same thing! I then decided to run to Elektrozavodsk to see how it handled a denser city. After fifteen or so minutes of sprinting with a drink or two along the way, I arrived. Very similar experience to Berezino -- a slight amount of lag, but much less so than Windows 7. (Keep in mind my Windows 7 install had been completely tweaked for DayZ; I even had my processor un-parked along with a plethora of other modifications.)

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm very, very impressed with Windows 10 thus far. Granted, I'm only a few hours into my experience, but it feels very solid. I'm very much looking forward to receiving my free upgrade in a few weeks. DayZ seem to run great even before tweaks, and it feels so smooth -- is that the upgraded DirectX?

Happy killing-on-sight everyone.

• Like 12

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm very, very impressed with Windows 10 thus far. Granted, I'm only a few hours into my experience, but it feels very solid. I'm very much looking forward to receiving my free upgrade in a few weeks. DayZ seem to run great even before tweaks, and it feels so smooth -- is that the upgraded DirectX?

Happy killing-on-sight everyone.

Thanks for checking this out and posting about it.  I was curious as to how Windows 10 would affect the DayZ experience.

Well thanks for getting me even more impatient for Windows 10... jerk :P

I couldn't have said it better. :D

Thanks for sharing this!!

BTW, hos was your experience with Windows 9? Was there even a Windows 9?!?  :rolleyes:

(I'm still on Win7 Ultimate x64... And still loves it!  <_< )

Is it possible that you saw such an improvement due to merely running on a freshly wiped computer?

Things always run smoother for awhile after a new install....

• Like 4

Is it possible that you saw such an improvement due to merely running on a freshly wiped computer?

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I want to believe there is a new Windows that doesn't suck after 7, but I am inclined to believe all those tweaks and the longevity of the last OS was the culprit.

This has to be a big part of it. It's totally possible that Windows 10 is more efficient in its use of resources, leaving more for the game to use. Never before now have I heard anything about Windows 10 making a noticeable difference in game performance, though.

• Like 1

This has to be a big part of it. It's totally possible that Windows 10 is more efficient in its use of resources, leaving more for the game to use. Never before now have I heard anything about Windows 10 making a noticeable difference in game performance, though.

Some guy posted a video on reddit saying 10 gave him huge improvements in dayz a while ago.

As others have stated, I feel a lot of it was down to it being a fresh install. However hearing rick mention it gives the claims a bit more credence.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 3

Some guy posted a video on reddit saying 10 gave him huge improvements in dayz a while ago.

<snipsnap>

As others have stated, I feel a lot of it was down to it being a fresh install. However hearing rick mention it gives the claims a bit more credence.

Hello there

You're giving rick credence? Crikey.  ;)

Id like to see how things run after a good few months operation.

Win10 will be my next upgrade from 7, but im going to give it another year or so to stabilize/mature.

Keep us informed, but @everyone beware the perils of early adopting.

Rgds

LoK 

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

I've seen a few videos on YouTube similar to the one @freethink posted claiming it's helped performance in DayZ. That's kind of one of the reasons I wanted to try it.

Keep in mind the computer I'm running now is under six months old. When I first threw Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it, after performing the normal "optimizations" it ran nowhere near as smooth as it is right now on Windows 10.

The driver support is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows 7, too. After a fresh format of Windows 7, it took 10-15 minutes of installing chipset drivers, LAN drivers, USB 3.0 drivers, etc., before even thinking about running Windows Update. Then (even with SP1 installed via disc) you'd have to download hundreds of updates. It took several hours to get Windows 7 up to date and optimized. While not a huge deal, for someone who regularly formats like myself, it was a huge PITA.

I'll keep this thread updated with any issues I run into. Hopefully they're minimal, as Windows finally feels like it should. You can set it up exactly like Windows 7 if you want, too, so everyone wins. ;)

EDIT: Rather than multi-posting, ninja edit!

Can it be due to DirectX 12?

This is kind of what I'm thinking. I have no tangible proof/knowledge that this is the reason, but it's the biggest difference between 7 and 10.

DayZ just feels smoother. It's hard to describe. I'm not saying it plays DayZ flawlessly, as DayZ still has to be optimized on their end, but there is DEFINITELY less FPS lag.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention how much faster it loads and closes when you're trying to exit. DayZ would often hang for me upon exiting; with Windows 10, it closes ten times faster.

Edited by Grimey Rick

So DayZ runs better on Win10 than on Win7, not a surprise. The question is if it runs better than on Win8.1 (which is as well more efficient at resource usage than Win7).

• Like 1

Just a quick update:

So far, every game I've tried so far (including Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dying Light, DayZ, Arma 3, and H1Z1) feels much smoother on Windows 10 than Windows 7. I'm genuinely curious as to whether this is due to DX12 or not. Yes, it's a fresh install (although my previous Windows 7 install was less than six months old), but out of the box, Windows 10 still feels so much better. I haven't tweaked any of the games I mentioned; I just installed them, fired them up, set every setting to its highest, and started playing.

The only gripe I have so far is with Microsoft Edge. I've been trying to use it more instead of Google Chrome, and while it's a blazing-fast browser (granted I'm on a 150/50mbps connection), small things like keyboard shortcuts (for example, in this reply box, CTRL + B causes backwards text input instead of bolding text) are really hard for me to adjust to. I never realized how reliant I am on keyboard shortcuts until I installed Windows 10. :(

Hello there

You're giving rick credence? Crikey.  ;)

Id like to see how things run after a good few months operation.

Win10 will be my next upgrade from 7, but im going to give it another year or so to stabilize/mature.

Keep us informed, but @everyone beware the perils of early adopting.

Rgds

LoK 

Isn't there a limited window for Win10 before you'll have to buy it?

30 days for free I think

I dunno how that works. I've got legitimate copies of Windows 7 and 8, so that's two free upgrades to Windows 10 when it officially launches at the end of July. I know guys who've been using Windows 10 for almost a year now, and they haven't paid for it yet.

I dunno how that works. I've got legitimate copies of Windows 7 and 8, so that's two free upgrades to Windows 10 when it officially launches at the end of July. I know guys who've been using Windows 10 for almost a year now, and they haven't paid for it yet.

Silly question but I'm the "nerd" in my family that everyone gives their shitty old virused up laptops to when the go buy another box store pos. I don't have the sticker/serial for my desktop anymore could I use a scrap computer Windows serial for the upgrade?

Silly question but I'm the "nerd" in my family that everyone gives their shitty old virused up laptops to when the go buy another box store pos. I don't have the sticker/serial for my desktop anymore could I use a scrap computer Windows serial for the upgrade?

Should be able to, yup. As long as it's Windows 7 or 8.

30 days for free I think

You get Win10 free if you upgrade in the one year window when the Win10 is released. After that you need to pay for it just like for any OS.

If your computer gets changed or you need to change MB then I've no idea if you need to get Win10 again or what.

I received my free upgrade offer over a month ago.

After accepting I now have an icon in the task bar with different links and info.

In the FAQ they claim that the intention is to send this offer to every eligible client.

Offer is for one year after release (29th July) if you have accepted the upgrade offer.

Here is the FAQ (French) the English version must be out there somewhere, go get it...

http://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq

I received the upgrade offer ages ago on my desktop, but not my laptop. Is there any way that a machine can be ineligable even though it's running W7?

Desktop is W7 Professional SP1 and my laptop is W7 Home Premium SP1 (if that makes any difference at all...).

I received the upgrade offer ages ago on my desktop, but not my laptop. Is there any way that a machine can be ineligable even though it's running W7?

Desktop is W7 Professional SP1 and my laptop is W7 Home Premium SP1 (if that makes any difference at all...).

Is your laptop fully updated? The Windows 10 tray icon only became available to me after a fairly recent Windows Update.

Ok I'm convinced to get this 'free' Windows 10. Should have it 29 July. I hope it is not some Microsoft scam that you'll have to pay for later.

If you don't get the offer it's because you didn't install the optional update: KB3035583