Sign in to follow this  
EHNR

Do not make DayZ SA Moddable.

The 5000 vehicle concrete skyscraper mods will come but it won't bother me one bit as I'll be playing or modding my own ultra hardcore experience anyway.  I'll pop into the kiddie mods to snipe the specials from their perches from time to time and in the end I'll benefit from having multiple experiences available to me for the price of one game.

• Like 1

Basically what you're saying is that you want to restrict people from playing what they want to play and force them to play what you want to play so that you have a bigger player population to entertain you...

Is that fair to the other people who have their own desires about what they want to play?

Can we even sit here and speculate about what's better when we have no clue exactly what the vanilla SA will be like, and even less of a clue what the mods will be like?

I don't know why you say things like "modding in general isn't fun". The only things I can think of that might make me think this is general buggyness or unappealing content, but buggy or unappealing content won't be popular among DayZ mods.

Finally, you keep telling players to go play the DayZ mod as if it has everything to offer that the standalone does not or should not. The standalone is aiming to have indepth vehicles and basebuilding, just like the main features of the mods. DayZ standalone is essentially trying to improve upon the original DayZ and it's mods. Saying "if you want modding then play the DayZ mod" is not fair because the DayZ mod is a different game with an older engine, worse performance, less potential, and we've already played it out.

DayZ standalone is a remake; an improvement. We want mods for the standalone just as we wanted mods for the original, and as always, the modding community will drag us kicking and screaming, and in the end, we'll thank them. Just remember that the DayZ SA vanilla is simply going to be a remake inspired heavily by modded versions of the original DayZ mod. Telling us to go play DayZ mod is like telling us to play DayZ SA Vanilla.

Are you stupid or what? seriously..

DayZ Standalone is MOSTLY PURCHASED because of it not being MODDABLE ATM, If MODDING gets IN the GAME allot of people will QUIT THE GAME, BECAUSE DAYZ MOD will just be the FUCKING SAME.

Is that a clear answer for you?

• Like 2

DayZ Standalone is MOSTLY PURCHASED because of it not being MODDABLE ATM, If MODDING gets IN the GAME allot of people will QUIT THE GAME, BECAUSE DAYZ MOD will just be the FUCKING SAME.

People are going to disagree with this by the mass, but i'd like to agree with you. Vanilla servers will be empty, experience with these kinds of things.

• Like 1

People are going to disagree with this by the mass, but i'd like to agree with you. Vanilla servers will be empty, experience with these kinds of things.

I had to be rude, because that guy keeps saying the same bullshit when i explained everything.  :blush:

• Like 1

I had to be rude, because that guy keeps saying the same bullshit when i explained everything.  :blush:

Exactly what did you explain?

The game you know as DayZ,came true through modding Arma 2 OA.

Yet,by your logic modding is obsolete and advocate in favor of keeping the game pure.

But what if i want to play DayZ on Namalsk?

I have been playing 3 years on this God forsaken map called Chernarus and i'm sick of it.

Why should we restrict people,in porting and sharing their own custom maps?

In addition,you incorrectly assume that the SA's end product,will be everyone's cup of tea!

How do you know that?

And even if you say so,what makes you think you're right and they're wrong?

A lot of you in here seem to forget why people prefered playing on Epoch,Wasteland,etc.

Maybe...it's because these mods offered more content and were overall more enoyable.

I honestly despise this purist attidute among the fanbase.

You play what you want to play none's forcing you!

Judging players by their personal preferences don't make them more or less "hardcore".

Personally,as a mod player i never played anything besides Vanilla.

But forbidding other people the tools to create their own custom content just because "it's different from the original",is just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I think modding will be great, just make sure starting kits consist of AS-50 thermals and GUID tracked cars paid for in gold bars, can't go wrong.

• Like 3

Why not allow it? Nobody will be forcing you to play any of those mods, will they? 

Well no but, if you look at the mod now most vanilla servers are empty, and those that are still online have all been modded with 100 of OP weapons and the ability to choose your spawn 3000+ vehicles, so what the author means is you kinda are forced to play the game modded (because not many vanilla servers are gonna stay the same)

Exactly what did you explain?

The game you know as DayZ,came true through modding Arma 2 OA.

Yet,by your logic modding is obsolete and advocate in favor of keeping the game pure.

But what if i want to play DayZ on Namalsk?

I have been playing 3 years on this God forsaken map called Chernarus and i'm sick of it.

Why should we restrict people,in porting and sharing their own custom maps?

In addition,you incorrectly assume that the SA's end product,will be everyone's cup of tea!

How do you know that?

And even if you say so,what makes you think you're right and they're wrong?

A lot of you in here seem to forget why people prefered playing on Epoch,Wasteland,etc.

Maybe...it's because these mods offered more content and were overall more enoyable.

I honestly despise this purist attidute among the fanbase.

You play what you want to play none's forcing you!

Judging players by their personal preferences don't make them more or less "hardcore".

Personally,as a mod player i never played anything besides Vanilla.

But forbidding other people the tools to create their own custom content just because "it's different from the original",is just ridiculous. 

Then why don't you go play DAYZ MOD??????

would be idiotic to lock out modding on a game that started off as a mod itself

Then why don't you go play DAYZ MOD??????

You don't get it do you?

For starters,have you even actually played the mod?

The mod has ran it's course and It's preety outdated now.

The SA aims to overcome the mod's restrictions and become a superior version.

Going back to the mod now,would be a lost cause.

Seriously,what's the problem with people wanting to play SA with mods?

The possibilities are endless,it would be a shame if in the end they don't implement modding support.

Personally,i'd play the hell out of a "Project Zomboid" styled mod.

Contrary to alot of others,i'd like more to gameplay other that gearing up and running around while shooting everyone on sight!

Hello there

You do NOT have to be rude.

Do NOT do it again.

Modding will be part of DAYZ.

As the l33t kids say "Deal  with it"

All you have to do, just as it was in the mod, is play on non modded vanilla servers.

Yes, there will be many "Zillion car, all gunz loadout!!!111!" servers. Simply ignore them.

What *is* needed is a more refined server browser and better filters to locate the type of server one likes. *That* was the problem with the Mod and indeed Arma 3.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
commas
  • Like 5

You don't get it do you?

For starters,have you even actually played the mod?

The mod has ran it's course and It's preety outdated now.

The SA aims to overcome the mod's restrictions and become a superior version.

Going back to the mod now,would be a lost cause.

Seriously,what's the problem with people wanting to play SA with mods?

The possibilities are endless,it would be a shame if in the end they don't implement modding support.

Personally,i'd play the hell out of a "Project Zomboid" styled mod.

Contrary to alot of others,i'd like more to gameplay other that gearing up and running around while shooting everyone on sight!

Hello there

You do NOT have to be rude.

Do NOT do it again.

Modding will be part of DAYZ.

As the l33t kids say "Deal  with it"

All you have to do, just as it was in the mod, is play on non modded vanilla servers.

Yes, there will be many "Zillion car, all gunz loadout!!!111!" servers. Simply ignore them.

What *is* needed is a more refined server browser and better filters to locate the type of server one likes. *That* was the problem with the Mod and indeed Arma 3.

Rgds

LoK

Well hey buddy guess what, maybe everyone will just QUIT dayz and DayZ will get the same player base ( 500-1000 MAX ) :)

Why do you think DayZ Standalone hit 42k Players online once, because it was non moddable and there weren't loads of bugs and desync issues like right now.

Soz but it's the truth, if you can't deal with it then it's gonna be a pain for you.

Edited by EHNR

Well hey buddy guess what, maybe everyone will just QUIT dayz and DayZ will get the same player base ( 500-1000 MAX ) :)

Why do you think DayZ Standalone hit 42k Players online once, because it was non moddable and there weren't loads of bugs and desync issues like right now.

Soz but it's the truth, if you can't deal with it then it's gonna be a pain for you.

The only people who would quit over this nonsense are people who would otherwise quit for some silly reason anyway. 

The SA has always had bugs and desync issues as well as a host of other problems, and it's still not moddable, so I don't know what you're on about here.

And drop the Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men shtick. The truth is that people will play what they enjoy most. I'm a huge Total War fan, but I almost never play the vanilla games beause I always end up downloading mods like Total Realism, Europa Barbarorum, Third Age or Stainless Steel. I've got high hopes that the finished SA will be a quality game, but if there are modders out there who can improve upon it further, then I'm all for it.

And no, that won't mean that vanilla servers are going to be populated by zeds and tumbleweeds.

• Like 1

You can make an argument about mods being detrimental to the experience, but not so many in this thread.

BI has always been about player freedom (not changing), it has drawbacks for sure, but the good outweighs the bad. Dayz wouldn't even exist if not for BI's openess. Who knows what will come out of this, great maps yes, snow maps and gameplay yes, survivor game tournaments yes, freaking dinosaurs yes, I could go on and on.

If you don't like modding and can't stomach hackers go play on the console version. I'll probably get around to buying one once it gets closer, just to play with friends, I'll even buy them the dam game if I have too.

Bi has shown strong concern for handling their public servers and keeping them up, no matter what comes of the modding scene. Chill out.

You chill , I didn't buy SA to play on a console and i don't remember reading anything about the SA being moddable down the line. I would have just stayed with the horror that is Arma2 Mod if that was the case. But i for one can't wait to see a sky full of airplanes being shot down by a russian battleship by a guy that has auto aim and a god mode script :)   WOW i can't wait for it to start.  Player freedom.. sure , genius move as you can see from Arma Dayz mod.

Edited by LoveAffair

You chill , I didn't buy SA to play on a console and i don't remember reading anything about the SA being moddable down the line. I would have just stayed with the horror that is Arma2 Mod if that was the case. But i for one can't wait to see a sky full of airplanes being shot down by a russian battleship by a guy that has auto aim and a god mode script :)   WOW i can't wait for it to start.  Player freedom.. sure , genius move as you can see from Arma Dayz mod.

You'd only see that if you made the conscious decision to enter the server named "Russian battleship turkey shoot - 100% 1337 h4x".

Your assumption that modding was never going to be allowed because it wasn't mentioned early on is a bit silly too. Modding does not detract from your experience, as playing on vanilla or modded servers is entirely the player's choice. It's just an optional addition to the game. 

Hello there

Well, hey "guy" guess what?

If only me and a handful of other people are still playing, the game will still be released. It matters not.

Thing is, that's just not going to happen.

Will we hit our "viral" times which inspired all those imitators? Most likely not.

if we lose a few players because they dont like aspect X or thing Y then we can and will quite happily cope with that.

Yes, it would be great to shift another 3 million + but that's not likely.

DAYZ is a niche game and always will be. Even if it is popular, its still aimed at a very narrow market.

Rgds

LoK

Jesus Christ troll OP is troll. Disrespecting Flimm and even taking a tone to Orlok- now I have to buy that majestix horse some flowers and a cake to help his nerves.

SA was PROMISED to have modding support before EA was on steam. Noone is forcing you to play these mods. I see the same babies on here demanding that 1pp be forced crying about mods.

You know what, lets get rid of 1pp and force 3pp on everyone as well as shutting down vanilla Standalone servers. Yeah, I bet you all are gonna bitch about that- yeah, that's how we all feel when you demand forced 1pp and no Mod support.

Edited by Owen.
  • Like 1

I feel like it is my righteous duty to take up the offense in this thread. The level of cantankerousness has so far been above equitable standards which is why I will try to make my rebuttal to the points in this thread as comprehensive and short and direct as possible. Here are the "arguments" that have appeared so far in this thread:

• DayZ SA will be the same as the mod if we allow modding
  • modding will allow hackers
  • vanilla servers will be empty
  • mods will be too militarized
  • mods will create bugs and desync issues
  • most people bought SA because there would be/is no modding

The problem with each of these points is that they are simply asserted conclusions with no evidence or explanation whatsoever; they are assumptions, and bad ones as I will demonstrate.

The idea that most people bought the standalone because they knew or thought where was or would be no modding is a ridiculous assertion with absolutely no evidence, good or bad, which could point us in this direction. The only argument we have seen for this is the assumption that since DayZ SA currently has no modding, that must be the cause of it's early success. It's actually more than likely that the modding success of the mod itself is what inspired 3 mil + players to purchase the standalone. Unless someone cares to show me evidence of any kind then my opinion is just as valid as anyones on this issue, except I reckon  mine is a heck of a lot more popular!

The notion that modding will create desync or bug issues is a poor assumption based on poor evidence. Which mods become popular will be highly dependant on which ones are not buggy or create desync issues. It's entirely possible that modders will find ways to improve upon the engine and implement features with minimal server resource costs. If the mods release buggy content, nobody will play them; this is a non-issue.

The notion that there will be more hackers because of modding is also an unsubstantiated assumption. Unless someone understands the programming of the enfusion engine, I would be very skeptical that their opinion on this matter is of any value. I could make an easy argument like "arma 2 was never designed to played like DayZ was played, and the antihack infrastructure simply was not there" and point out how it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I would much rather see an actual argument for the positive claim itself. Please provide one!

The idea that vanilla servers will be empty is a self defeating argument; a genuine ouroboros. If all the vanilla servers are empty that simply means that the mods have surpassed vanilla in terms of enjoyability, and you will  all be playing the mods too, looking back on this thread as a regretful blip of ignorance. To repeat, if mods become more popular than vanilla, then that means that the entire argument of this thread, that modding should be disallowed or is of negative or no benefit, will have been wrong. Furthermore, the desire to prevent other people form playing what they want on their own servers is unfair and greedy. People who do not want to play the game the way you imagine it aren't going to play your imagined "vanilla" for very long are they?

The idea that the mods will be too militarized is an assumption regarding something that in the end won't even be an issue. Many servers will have the freedom to turn off certain weapons in the vanilla that they deem are too militaristic, and the mods are completely optional so only people who are looking for more militarization will be subjected to it by entering those servers that cater to them. I always tended to play on servers which did not have stinger missiles and black hawk helicopters, you can surely do the same.

The insidious lie that a modded SA will be exactly the same as the DayZ mod is so jampacked with falsehood that it literally fatigues me to read it; my mind recoils at the ignorance of this idea. First of all, the "DayZ mod" by definition was not one exact thing, it was a cornucopia of different mods servers and players. There is not one ultimate way to define the DayZ mod, whether it be "too militarized" or "too buggy" because the DayZ mod was a collection of many things, some of which were drastically different from one another. In the DayZ mod you had choice. You could choose what mod to play and what server to play on, and if the mod and server were any good, chances are you would have a good time. The diversity of the DayZ mods are literally what gave longevity to the game. The irony about the understanding of some people in this thread regarding this phenomenon is that the vanilla servers would have dried up either way. At least with the mods they kept playing DayZ instead of abandoning the game entirely.

Likewise the mods of the standalone are only going to give you people options in terms of deciding what kind of experience you would like to have. There will be mods for all playstyles, including whatever playstyle the people in this thread arguing for vanilla only envision. There will be mods designed to increase horror elements of the game, mods to increase difficulty. Mods to increase or decrease miltiarization, increase or decrease PvP; you name it and if it is a good idea someone will make a mod for it. In concluding here I am still utterly flabbergasted that some people think modding is somehow a bad idea. Modding created DayZ, then sustained it, then lead to the birth of a brand new infrastructure simply to continue on with where the DayZ mod left off or could not go further. The plan was always to have modding, there was never any real opposition to modding at any time in the history of DayZ. That some of you are of the mind that modding should be disallowed is both astounding and demoralizing.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 4

I bought the SA because I was under the assumption it would be DayZ, un-modded.  Now learning that they will allow modding to be a thing the game DayZ as we know it will disappear and be overrun with it's bastardized child called Epoch.  Epoch SA.... lovely.  Well the game was only $30 at release of the early access and I got my hours of enjoyment out of it at least.

• Like 1

I bought the SA because I was under the assumption it would be DayZ, un-modded.  Now learning that they will allow modding to be a thing the game DayZ as we know it will disappear and be overrun with it's bastardized child called Epoch.  Epoch SA.... lovely.  Well the game was only $30 at release of the early access and I got my hours of enjoyment out of it at least.

So then don't play any of the mods. And who's to say there won't be quality mods that crank the nightmare factor of this game to 11? Not every mod is going to be Epoch. And honestly, I hope some of them are really good Epoch-style mods, so that all the players who enjoy that style of play can go there.

Diversify, maaannn...

• Like 1

So then don't play any of the mods. And who's to say there won't be quality mods that crank the nightmare factor of this game to 11? Not every mod is going to be Epoch. And honestly, I hope some of them are really good Epoch-style mods, so that all the players who enjoy that style of play can go there.

Diversify, maaannn...

Uh, have you looked at the player list for the mod?  Vanilla servers - 0 players, Epoch; handed out weapons, self blood bag, 1000 cars - Full servers.  Allowing that kind of modding to the SA is not only going to be detrimental to the game but also a slap in the face to the developers who have put in all the hard work to make DayZ SA.

• Like 1

Uh, have you looked at the player list for the mod?  Vanilla servers - 0 players, Epoch; handed out weapons, self blood bag, 1000 cars - Full servers.  Allowing that kind of modding to the SA is not only going to be detrimental to the game but also a slap in the face to the developers who have put in all the hard work to make DayZ SA.

Oh stop comparing the mod to the standalone for god's sake. They won't even compare to each other when the latter is finished. I never played, but from what I gather, the mod is still a clunky, unpolished mess, much like the standalone, but they are already two different experiences.

The mod was built off a straight PvP game, of course a big chunk of the player base from that game is going to enjoy the same thing in DayZ, which is why they still play Epoch et al. And the ones who don't, they should be playing the standalone alpha right now, along with a whole bunch of new players - like myself - who never played the mod and bought into the standalone because it promises a different kind of gameplay than the mod. I'm not looking to play Epoch, and from the general tone in the topic, I'd say I'm hardly alone in that. So let the PvP boys have their Epoch. Be glad they'll no longer be playing on your servers.

• Like 1

Oh stop comparing the mod to the standalone for god's sake. They won't even compare to each other when the latter is finished. I never played, but from what I gather, the mod is still a clunky, unpolished mess, much like the standalone, but they are already two different experiences.

The mod was built off a straight PvP game, of course a big chunk of the player base from that game is going to enjoy the same thing in DayZ, which is why they still play Epoch et al. And the ones who don't, they should be playing the standalone alpha right now, along with a whole bunch of new players - like myself - who never played the mod and bought into the standalone because it promises a different kind of gameplay than the mod. I'm not looking to play Epoch, and from the general tone in the topic, I'd say I'm hardly alone in that. So let the PvP boys have their Epoch. Be glad they'll no longer be playing on your servers.

Stop comparing the mod to the standalone you say??  You do realize that the standalone would not exist if it wasn't for Dean Hall, right?  The guy who started DayZ, the creator.  So, if you've never played the mod how can you say it's a clunky mess and two different experiences?  

Those who are enjoying Epoch, are also the ones who have been trying to change the SA into Epoch.

Anyway, it's been given the "greenlight" no pun intended, that they will allow players to mod but have also said that they will monitor them, I'll believe that when I see it.  Did the devs ever play the mod?  Did they not see what happened with letting modding like that run amok?  Yes, creating a new map is nice, btw that isn't modding, that is creating a new map, but what Epoch brought to DayZ was a disgusting dumbed down version of what the game was suppose to be about.  Yes "I" do not have to play it but I also didn't buy the standalone to play on empty servers.  I could've bought a single payer zombie game to do that.

Edited by leader.one