robophant

increase Map size

In my opinion the map of chernarus in its current state is way to small given that player count might increase at some point. Even with the max count of 100 I feel it is very small.

Right now I can not see myself building up a camp, maybe getting a vehicle and live from mother nature because there is absolutely no way to hide myself or my stuff.

I don't want this game to become another clone of Rust, where everyone gets a huge base and the whole map is full of them.

Don't get me wrong here. The "former civilized" area is nearly perfect in size but I'd like to have a huge forest all around that area instead of an empty "debug" zone. It dosn't need to have any kind of building, town or even roads. Just a good mix of hills, fields and trees - with animals and zombies spawning ofc.

Maybe it could even be procedurally generated.

What do you guys think?

• Like 6

Hello there

Whilst its not practical for the Devs to "enlarge" the Chernarus map, I do like your idea of having the debug plains as an extensive infinite forest where real hermits could live off the land to a degree.

Obviously, water would be an issue (other than precipitation) due to having no sources but random animal spawns would be fun for us virtual hunters.

Interesting idea. as to practicality within DAYZ, well Im not sure, but I do like the idea.

Rgds

LoK

I feel like it would be strange to have an endless forest that never gets to anywhere... but then again the debug plains are even worse of a choice for the end of the map. I could see this being a better solution. +1.

thanks for the response

I think that having an endless forest wouldn't be such a huge issue (in terms of immersion). The real world is even bigger (orly :P) and you would need a lot of pristine pairs of shoes to go all around. Take Siberia for example - There are a some civilized areas but mostly it is full of endless forests and plains. Nobody there for miles and miles.

Why would water be a problem? Is there a technical reason?

The only problem I can see with my idea is that we would have to either be able to craft our own clothes and shoes or we would have to make a long journey back into civilized areas to loot up with necessary stuff like medics, cloth and fuel etc... But that could be a fun part of the game.

Edited by robophant

Sorry for the bump, but I kind of want clarification on this matter since I regard this as the biggest flaw in the whole survival-approach of DayZ.

If mapsize stays as limited as it is right now the game will just end up being either crowded by massive bases or (if no massive bases allowed) it will just be another shooter (but with extremely long and painful loot-up sessions before you can even start to think about fighting).

Either way it will be really frustrating.

I am not going around for hours to get fishing equipment just to get shot at the next lake. Same goes for growing plants or even maintaining a car/truck

It just doesn't make sense as it is right now.

Edited by robophant

I like the idea of having forests at the edge of the map instead of blank rolling fields.

However, you're describing a scenario where your base would be virtually invulnerable. 

Once single player mode is introduced, you'll be able to setup your base anywhere (e.g. in the middle of the NWAF airstrip) without worry of another player raiding your base.

But until then, and on multiplayer servers, I think there should always be the risk of having your entire base wiped out, forcing you to start from square one.

The current map size is a joke. In a zombie apocalypse you shouldn't run into new players every 5 minutes. The consistent implementation of more generic towns has led to less areas off the beaten path and a very limited amount of places where one can set up a base or hideout. The idea of the outside of the map spawning an everlasting amount of trees and hills is a good compromise You can set up a camp far off, but you better bring enough supplies to get back into the map or risk dying out there far from a resupply. .

all these reasons are why i look forward to the single player option.

I like the idea of having forests at the edge of the map instead of blank rolling fields.

However, you're describing a scenario where your base would be virtually invulnerable. 

Once single player mode is introduced, you'll be able to setup your base anywhere (e.g. in the middle of the NWAF airstrip) without worry of another player raiding your base.

But until then, and on multiplayer servers, I think there should always be the risk of having your entire base wiped out, forcing you to start from square one.

I don't think that the base would be invulnerable just because it's hidden somewhere far out. Of course the map doesn't have to be 'infinite' but let's say at least 10-20 times bigger than it is now.

You would still have to do supply runs into "civilization" and that's the point where you can be stalked back to your base.  Also, if far out, people might still stumble over your base by accident or they hear you shooting an animal or stuff like that.

I really like to hear the devs opinion on this matter

Edited by robophant

I don't think that the base would be invulnerable just because it's hidden somewhere far out. Of course the map doesn't have to be 'infinite' but let's say at least 10-20 times bigger than it is now.

You would still have to do supply runs into "civilization" and that's the point where you can be stalked back to your base.  Also, if far out, people might still stumble over your base by accident or they hear you shooting an animal or stuff like that.

I really like to hear the devs opinion on this matter

They could also just be planning on adding more towns on the edges of the maps (which they've done in more recent patches), so they aren't worried about having the big empty hills, as it's only temporary.

The map itself is most definitely not "too big". Chernarus+ is larger than 225km^2, which is what the mod had. The actual land area is 14km x 13km

Rather, we, the players, move too fast. Just when (non-stop) sprinting, we can cover the map, corner to corner, in about 30 minutes (I've done it) Add vehicles, and we move faster still.

Slow down the movement speed, remove unlimited sprint, and the map will seem larger.

Besides, if you want to find an area on the map where people won't find your base, you actually have to go where others do not go. EVERYONE places a camp on the borders of the map, so that is where people go to look for them. You can instead go to an area limited by Nadezhdino on the west, the Black Forest on the north, Pusta on the south, and Tulga on the east. Extremely rough, mountainous country that, in an earlier patch, I was in for 2 goddamn weeks and I never saw another soul.

• Like 3

Rather, we, the players, move too fast. Just when (non-stop) sprinting, we can cover the map, corner to corner, in about 30 minutes (I've done it) Add vehicles, and we move faster still.

Slow down the movement speed, remove unlimited sprint, and the map will seem larger.

I don't think movement speed will ever be reduced. Unlimited sprinting will soon be a thing of the past, as the devs went over how the stamina system currently works recently in a SR;  we should start to see the slowing of sprinting when tired, and faster depletion of energized / hydrated statuses while sprinting. 

Same thing with vehicles. Once you have to spend a lot of time on foot before you can get a working truck (already somewhat introduced in stable with the breaking down of wheels, and more so in experimental with batteries and glow plugs), the map will seem a LOT bigger. 

I think it's a terrible idea.

Map seems big enough.  Players should have to deal with interaction, hostile or not.  In the same vein, sadly, I feel single player mode will be an unavoidable necessity for mod creators.

That's just me though.

It isn't possible for them to 'increase' the area that they can edit in without copying the whole thing over to a new template, and if they rescaled everything the map would be fucked and everything would be out of place.

As much as I would love a large forest outside of the debug plains (even though it'd be so easy to get lost in considering you would never find civilization) it isn't possible to do in any practical sense.

Besides, something as drastic as that they could just make a much larger map in a whole new setting.

The problem with allowing players to use the debug zone is that all the vehicles disappear very quickly and never see the light of day again.

• Like 3

The problem with allowing players to use the debug zone is that all the vehicles disappear very quickly and never see the light of day again.

So, correct me if I'm wrong.  Since vehicles are persistent, they won't respawn at their normal points during a server restart if I have previously driven them into the debug zone?

Making players walk slower is a piss poor way to try to make the map "feel" bigger and won't help the issue when people operate vehicles to zip to all the points of interests. They can expand the north and west boundaries by cutting off the south and east water logged boundaries and reallocating the space. Its a shame we'll never see dayz in Altis, that map can feel large and empty with 120 players and had more than enough space for base building if anyone played the first build of breaking point before they ruined it trying to earn the make arma not war contest.

• Like 2

I think it's important to visualize how we will perceive the map once we have many more infected, base building, stamina, and higher population servers.

If you're walking around and seeing manned roadblocks, fortified homes/buildings, scattered and roving hordes of infected, roving clans/players, the map WILL seem much bigger.

Many discussions we have here are often misguided because people assume 1.0 will play like the Alpha. We will have a much more reactive environment in general.

It will be fascinating to see how the play styles evolve as the map changes and I do hope we get DayZ game on entirely different maps for Asia, Africa, and the West (as hinted at a long time ago).

Making players walk slower is a piss poor way to try to make the map "feel" bigger and won't help the issue when people operate vehicles to zip to all the points of interests.

Lol, what? Maybe alpha is not for you. The crazy running speeds are for testing.

While the idea of a forest only area in no mans land sounds good, I'm not sure it would help the overall game concept, it might even damage it.

With all the concern over map size, dayz still has a high land/player ratio compared to most games even if they go to 140. Does anyone take time to think what this game will be like with infected complete?

Lol, what? Maybe alpha is not for you. The crazy running speeds are for testing.

While the idea of a forest only area in no mans land sounds good, I'm not sure it would help the overall game concept, it might even damage it.

With all the concern over map size, dayz still has a high land/player ratio compared to most games even if they go to 140. Does anyone take time to think what this game will be like with infected complete?

The "Crazy running speeds" have been standard in ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and other Bohemia games. The current settings aren't built for Alpha unless you can back that with a source. 140 on a map of this size will make player encounters too common unless you are looking for some Altis life or Team death match game. Its a survival game, you shouldn't be bumping into others every 5 minutes. Like I stated before retarding the walk speed won't address the fact that ground vehicles can cover anywhere on the map in less than 8 minutes.

There is literately nothing bad about extending the current map size.

So, correct me if I'm wrong.  Since vehicles are persistent, they won't respawn at their normal points during a server restart if I have previously driven them into the debug zone?

I think it was last patch or something when i drove my v3S to the edge of the debug zone i just fell trough the map.

If they're ever gonna increase the map then make it interesting and unique because right now the entire map is just useless wilderness and copy paste villages with same freshspawn items and a few big cities around the coast

If they're ever gonna increase the map then make it interesting and unique because right now the entire map is just useless wilderness and copy paste villages with same freshspawn items and a few big cities around the coast

Useless wilderness? I wouldn't call wilderness very useless. Unless there is gonna be bears and rabbits in the middle of Elektro.

The "Crazy running speeds" have been standard in ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and other Bohemia games. The current settings aren't built for Alpha unless you can back that with a source. 140 on a map of this size will make player encounters too common unless you are looking for some Altis life or Team death match game. Its a survival game, you shouldn't be bumping into others every 5 minutes. Like I stated before retarding the walk speed won't address the fact that ground vehicles can cover anywhere on the map in less than 8 minutes.

There is literately nothing bad about extending the current map size.

The sprint speed probably won't be reduced, but you're unlikely to be able to sprint for more than a minute or so when the stamina system is in.

Working vehicles will be rarer. I wouldn't complain if the map size was increased, especially if proper map borders were introduced in place of an endless plain of nothing.