anteridy

Should guns spawn loaded?

Gun spawn  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which way of gun spawn do you prefer?

• Guns should spawn loaded (with mag and ammo, aka original DayZ mod)
    • Guns, mags and ammo should spawn idependently

i think if i find a gun in a house i should find the ammo for the gun somewhere in the house as well, either next to the gun or somewhere the real owner of the gun would put the ammo

Game Theory at work ladies and gentlemen.

That's great. But, helping with rules in board games and RPG's has a limited application to a game like DayZ.

I'd rather leave the game theory to the developers of DayZ, thank you very much.

I think that all guns which require a magazine should spawn with a magazine inserted. Ammunition in that magazine, in my opinion, is not necessary, although a random chance to have some amount of ammo could be nice.

I think that this game should focus more on being realistic in this sense, you are not going to find a random weapon magazine in a random house with no gun nearby, it defies logic and brings the immersion down for me.

I don't understand people who want less firearms in the game at all, if anything, I think this would actually increase KOS mentality, as an unarmed player has almost no real defense against a competent player with a firearm, and when guns are scarce, you can bet every bandit will make sure he finds one to ruin your day.

My point overall I would say, make guns more acessible by making them spawn with one magazine(multiples could be more rare, and thus the tactical advantage of having quick reloads would have to be earned). Make civilian weapons esp. Shotguns and hunting rifles the staple for a survival minded player, but keep military grade fully automatic weapons relatively rare.

The most glaring fault I see at the moment is the cr527, that gun in real life is pretty expensive(CZ527), as are the mags (about 40-50 dollars each). The chances of a CR being separated from it's magazine would be pretty rare.

Sorry if any of this is a bit off grammar or structure wise, I wrote it on my phone and it's a bit more difficult to proofread on this small screen.

Edited by Antitorque

I really don't see the problem with weapons and ammo spawns. Randomly spawning weapons loaded, partially loaded, ammo nearby, etc makes for a simple solution. Except I think police stations should spawn with some weapons and ammo. After all, it is a police station. Since no one here has actually survived an apocalypse, insisting on specific types of spawns isn't realistic on any level. Random spawns keeps it fair because no one player has an advantage.

Another idea could be spawning ammo inside drawers and cabinets. Make the cabinets and drawers so they can be opened and closed. This makes the player look throughout the house for possible ammo.

I absolutely agree, an interesting side effect could be that players get out of their usual ruts and actually explore a bit more of the map, even with the new towns, player locations are still quite predictable.

• Like 1

That's great. But, helping with rules in board games and RPG's has a limited application to a game like DayZ.

I'd rather leave the game theory to the developers of DayZ, thank you very much.

Awesome, so you agree that their change in their game from the Mod where guns spawned with ammo to the Standalone where they don't was probably a good idea since the developers of the game changed it to be that way? I agree too! I was just explaining it to you. 

Since no one here has actually survived an apocalypse, insisting on specific types of spawns isn't realistic on any level.

Ah, I see, you still don't grasp the concept that when dealing with a game realistic isn't always the best thing and loses out to game theory.

For example it would be realistic that if you broke your leg even with a splint you wouldn't be able to walk very fast much less run for months of game time. I don't see you advocating for slower healing time for all wounds.

Awesome, so you agree that their change in their game from the Mod where guns spawned with ammo to the Standalone where they don't was probably a good idea since the developers of the game changed it to be that way? I agree too! I was just explaining it to you. 

I think weapons and ammo should spawn a variety of ways. Sometimes they should spawn with some ammo. Sometimes with a clip in a nearby house or cabinet/drawer inside the same house. Sometimes no ammo at all. But, no, I don't agree to weapons or ammo spawning only ONE way. The key factor being that the way weapons and ammo spawn should be random each time. Randomly spawning weapons and ammo in a variety of ways, keeps players on their toes and prevents any single player from acquiring an advantage. Such as server hopping. With every server spawning everything randomly, server hopping would become a waste of time. And the game would retain a built in balance. It's a simple approach that requires no game theory in practice.

I don't know if that "fits" into your game theory way of thinking. 

I think weapons and ammo should spawn a variety of ways. Sometimes they should spawn with some ammo. Sometimes with a clip in a nearby house or cabinet/drawer inside the same house. Sometimes no ammo at all. But, no, I don't agree to weapons or ammo spawning only ONE way. The key factor being that the way weapons and ammo spawn should be random each time. Randomly spawning weapons and ammo in a variety of ways, keeps players on their toes and prevents any single player from acquiring an advantage. Such as server hopping. With every server spawning everything randomly, server hopping would become a waste of time. And the game would retain a built in balance. It's a simple approach that requires no game theory in practice.

I would agree, combination of loaded/unloaded, with/without items(mags,scopes,ect) in town near by.

It's not my game theory way of thinking. I was explaining to you the why of what the developers did from my perspective. Early in the Mod guns always spawned with 2 reloads of ammo. 2 mags or enough to reload the gun multiple times. Late in the mod they made it more random and sometimes the guns didn't spawn with ammo at all. In the SA they have decided that guns don't spawn with ammo. Now the same locations have the potential to spawn the gun and/or the ammo, but you are not promised any ammo/mag for certain. Basically it already is random as to if there is ammo in that location or not for that gun, just probably more random than you want it. However, it changed from the Mod to the SA for some reason and the developers have in the past stated they liked it that way and with the CLE it looks like things might stay that way.

I want to see weapons spawning in different states. In an ideal world weapons would spawn with a random condition (except ruined), with a chance of having ammo (either chambered or in a mag/clip), with varying attachments (more for AK/M4/MP5 style weapons than winchester etc.).

I would also like to see mags/clips containing a random amount of bullets. Imagine finding a semi-kitted gun that was worn with a magazine with 12 rounds in it... has someone dropped it or is it a normal spawn?? Makes the game more interesting imo