Sign in to follow this  
GeneralJefe

Yet Another Low FPS Complaint

I'm aware there are plenty of these threads, and plenty of threads explaining fixes for these issues, or explaining the lack of fixes and reasons for their absence I should say. Regardless, this game is entirely unplayable for me in it's current state, and I've no idea as to why. My specs are as follows:

• CPU: 3570K @ 4.2GHz
  • GPU: GTX 680
  • RAM: 16GB

While idle, GPU usage is between 1-5% as expected. Now, here's the best part, and you've probably seen this one before: FPS and GPU usage are both dependent on my location. In cities, GPU usage doesn't pass 25% once. It usually idles around 20% with a whopping 14-20FPS. Unplayable. Outside of some arbitrary radius of cities, GPU usage jumps back up again - somewhat. It will hit around 40% usage, and a max of around 30FPS. Still ridiculous, as that's just barely playable.

I've been monitoring CPU, GPU, and RAM usage while in game, and not a single thing is maxed at any point. CPU is around 75% usually (and no single core is working more than the others), GPU is what's described above, and RAM has plenty of room as well.

What's going on here? I know people who have similar rigs who are playing with no issues, and they've not gone through the painstaking process of testing every optimization tutorial they find online. What's up with this? My drivers are updated, Nvidia control panel configured correctly, settings configured "correctly" - as determined by multiple threads/videos. This yields an FPS improvement of nada. Any explanation for this? Or, maybe even a fix?

This has turned into something of a rant, but I suppose that's all I've got. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by GeneralJefe

I also have a 3570k (oc'd to 4.6) and a gtx 760, unfortunately with most everyone cpu is the bottleneck with this game for now until some optimizing can be done.  You WONT get a constant 60 fps but with that hardware it should surely be playable.  Your gpu usage is fluctuating so much because as the cpu gets maxed it struggles to pass instruction thru to the gpu and the usage % drops.  You can actually watch your gpu load go up as you turn object count or view distance down and lessen the load to the cpu.  Just don't set any graphic settings to low as they will typically offload from the gpu and bind your cpu up even more.  I have no problems with the game being unplayable but max fps I see in big cities is still not much over 30.

I also have a 3570k (oc'd to 4.6) and a gtx 760, unfortunately with most everyone cpu is the bottleneck with this game for now until some optimizing can be done.  You WONT get a constant 60 fps but with that hardware it should surely be playable.  Your gpu usage is fluctuating so much because as the cpu gets maxed it struggles to pass instruction thru to the gpu and the usage % drops.  You can actually watch your gpu load go up as you turn object count or view distance down and lessen the load to the cpu.  Just don't set any graphic settings to low as they will typically offload from the gpu and bind your cpu up even more.  I have no problems with the game being unplayable but max fps I see in big cities is still not much over 30.

That's the thing though, no one of my components is maxed out at any time (I've updated the OP). The game just isn't using the hardware as it should be from the looks of it. What's really aggravating is I really shouldn't be having these issues with this hardware.

Hopefully these performance issues will be improved upon soon, you are definitely not the only person having them but I'm not quite sure what is making the game absolutely unplayable for you :(  You don't have a 32 bit OS do you? (sorry I have to ask some people don't realize that it limits the amount of ram you can use) Still game should be fully playable with that hardware, I never have any dips in fps beyond 20s for sure

Edited by SaveMeJebus

Hopefully these performance issues will be improved upon soon, you are definitely not the only person having them but I'm not quite sure what is making the game absolutely unplayable for you :(  You don't have a 32 bit OS do you? (sorry I have to ask some people don't realize that it limits the amount of ram you can use) Still game should be fully playable with that hardware, I never have any dips in fps beyond 20s for sure

Heh, yeah, I'm aware x86 systems limit you to 4GB RAM. I'm running an x64 system. It's really unfortunate, hopefully I get a reply with some sort of fix, but until then, I can't really play.

Check this post:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224710-performance-issues/

Improved my fps. Some settings in the profile texts I kept a little higher than is suggested to keep some eye candy.

I've configured my settings as they have. I've yet to try the cfg settings, I'll do that later this evening.

Edited by GeneralJefe

Heh, yeah, I'm aware x86 systems limit you to 4GB RAM. I'm running an x64 system. It's really unfortunate, hopefully I get a reply with some sort of fix, but until then, I can't really play.

I've configured my settings as they have. I've yet to try the cfg settings, I'll do that later this evening.

Also check out if changing the launch options will help you.

Check below vid for instructions:

Mine are: (CPU specific!): -high -CPUCount=4 -ExThreads=3 -maxMem=8192 -NoSplash -NoPause -malloc=system

Your system should have higher fps like you said, atm you have about my FPS but my system is much weaker.

I generally get: 60 fps in open fields, 35-45 fps in wooded areas, 25-35 around towns, 17-25 in big cities.

Edited by SAK

I don't have any of those issues. Try to upgrade your pc's or buy a fresher one.

GPU: GTX 980m

CPU: i7

24gb memory

DayZ people need to up their minimum requirements and be honest about what you really need to have

in order to run this game efficiently.

Its a fake marketing scheme so people with less of a pc will think they can run it so they buy the game.

I don't have any of those issues. Try to upgrade your pc's or buy a fresher one.

GPU: GTX 980m

CPU: i7

24gb memory

DayZ people need to up their minimum requirements and be honest about what you really need to have

in order to run this game efficiently.

Its a fake marketing scheme so people with less of a pc will think they can run it so they buy the game.

You see, on the surface that makes perfect sense. However, while playing the game, I have at least:

8GB free RAM

30-40% free CPU

80% free GPU... again, 80%

I just can't believe it's my hardware that's at fault. It's horrible optimization by my understanding. At this stage, I feel they should have worked out these issues, alpha or no. Of course not entirely, but the game should at least be playable outside of uncivilized areas.

Edited by GeneralJefe

You see, on the surface that makes perfect sense. However, while playing the game, I have at least:

8GB free RAM

30-40% free CPU

80% free GPU... again, 80%

I just can't believe it's my hardware that's at fault. It's horrible optimization by my understanding. At this stage, I feel they should have worked out these issues, alpha or no. Of course not entirely, but the game should at least be playable outside of uncivilized areas.

There is nothing wrong with your hardware and you have a good system. I have a Asus G751 that I am currently using

and also a G75 I used to play on. For whatever reason it is my G75 has a hard time running this game compared to my G751

and The G75..

GTX 670m

CPU i7

So its still a very good laptop and plays ANY game on max setting. well except Dayz.

My point is Dayz needs to clean their shit up so we can all enjoy the same experiences without 

having to buy a $3k PC to play a $15 game.