Sign in to follow this  
starvingart

New weapons damage in action

Now I may have missed my second Mosin shot, or the bullet hit and went though him, but if both shots hit the target point blank shouldn't he be down?

Just looking for your input guys.

I think you hit his hands on the second shot.  This is something my friends and I have been noticing about the SA, is that the way your character holds his weapon, you're often hitting arms/hands or even their gun, for a lot less damage than torso shots.

I think you can also generally assume each layer of clothing is going to absorb the majority of a shot.  Even a shirt.

Damage in the SA is such a terrible mess.  I know they aren't trying to do balance passes yet but I really wish they'd make a preliminary one.

• Like 2

This is something my friends and I have been noticing about the SA, is that the way your character holds his weapon, you're often hitting arms/hands or even their gun, for a lot less damage than torso shots.

You make some good points Bororm and I agree, it looks like most shots would hit the targets arms, to me I would think that would cause one to drop their weapon and prehaps recoil back but it doesn't need to be That realistic. 

Just my personal experience, I emptied an entire AK clip into a guy last night while hunting server hoppers. Quite literally an entire clip on a pristine weapon. Granted, I may have missed two to four shots... but I emptied that clip into his back. After checking his inventory every single item was ruined on him, clothes and all. I wasn't even aiming at his legs and managed to ruin his pants and everything in there. The damage models are kinda wonky right now and I don't have any good input into how to fix it.

• Like 2

I've had similar experiences with 0.57 weapon damage too. Seems kinda derpy and random, at one point watching a guy soak up two torso shots from a .357 Magnum before hitting the deck with a broken leg from the third & losing consciousness and one guy with broken legs taking 5 7.62x39 rounds to put out of his misery. 

Not quite sure what they've done with weapons in this patch, but I don't particularly approve of it.

Just now while camping a chopper crash with a friend I shot this server hopper with my new AUG! Sorry if my color correction looks weird.

The reason for both videos was to show an example of the new weapons damage. Now in my tired, stuper, I forgot to mention in the second video that I had fired seven shots before the target went down, but I really shouldn't have used it in this example since at my distance one can't tell how many of my shots connected. My appologies for not being clear.  

Here's a relevant video.  Seems like some times hit detection just straight up isn't working, or you're firing phantom shots, or something.

I've noticed myself seeming to soak a lot of damage lately, I figured weapons were weaker but this makes more sense.  There's been some times where I or a friend headshots some one too and they either dont go down, or when they do go down from other shots their head gear wasn't damaged.

• Like 1

Here's a relevant video.  Seems like some times hit detection just straight up isn't working, or you're firing phantom shots, or something.

I've noticed myself seeming to soak a lot of damage lately, I figured weapons were weaker but this makes more sense.  There's been some times where I or a friend headshots some one too and they either dont go down, or when they do go down from other shots their head gear wasn't damaged.

Can any of you guys on this post tell me how you were able to upload these videos?  I've only been able to attach links to the videos I want to upload. I've dicked around with it a few times but haven't been able to finger it out. 

Thanks and sorry for not contributing to the discussion. 

One shot hit his gun and broke it (that's why he didn't shoot the magnum,) the other struck his hand.

Can any of you guys on this post tell me how you were able to upload these videos?  I've only been able to attach links to the videos I want to upload. I've dicked around with it a few times but haven't been able to finger it out. 

Thanks and sorry for not contributing to the discussion. 

Do you put videos in a post?  Just paste the link and the forum does it automatically.

One shot hit his gun and broke it (that's why he didn't shoot the magnum,) the other struck his hand.

Unless it changed this patch, hitting weapons in hands doesn't break them.  In fact, it instead does leg damage/breaks your pants oddly enough.  It would also spark if he hit the magnum, so he definitely didn't hit it as you can see blood both times.  The guy just likely didn't have ammo.

Just now while camping a chopper crash with a friend I shot this server hopper with my new AUG! Sorry if my color correction looks weird.

Did u seriously camp the heli on an empty server? Well done there :p

• Like 1

yes there is some troubles with hit detection and overall damage. can't wait to see bullet penetrating bodies. a hand will no longer protect the body, in fact damage should be even worse with bones parts of the hand projected in the body.

It probably has to do with the fact that a tshirt and jeans currently functions like a full body SAPI plate plus more armored plating for all the shit in your inventory and the extra layers of clothing as well as actual plate carriers.

In the first week or so of SA you could drop a freshie with a single 7.62x54 at <500m center mass. Now you're lucky to kill them in the first four. I've had to swap from my mosin if I run up on some geared guy at times.

I feel like mag dumping with the AK/M4/AUG is probably a desync issue but I wouldn't rule out this armor BS.

It probably has to do with the fact that a tshirt and jeans currently functions like a full body SAPI plate plus more armored plating for all the shit in your inventory and the extra layers of clothing as well as actual plate carriers.

In the first week or so of SA you could drop a freshie with a single 7.62x54 at <500m center mass. Now you're lucky to kill them in the first four. I've had to swap from my mosin if I run up on some geared guy at times.

I feel like mag dumping with the AK/M4/AUG is probably a desync issue but I wouldn't rule out this armor BS.

Heck you could drop a fresh spawn with 1-2 pistol rounds at the start of the SA.

Did u seriously camp the heli on an empty server? Well done there :P

Lol it sure looks like we did but no we were camping that server while it was fairly ful, trying to kill a sever hopper with a decent gun for my Aussie friend, it restarts into night time and minutes later that third guy joined spawning almost in the open and well, you saw the rest.

Heck you could drop a fresh spawn with 1-2 pistol rounds at the start of the SA.

I remember those days, good times.

• Like 1

Just my personal experience, I emptied an entire AK clip into a guy last night while hunting server hoppers. Quite literally an entire clip on a pristine weapon. Granted, I may have missed two to four shots... but I emptied that clip into his back. After checking his inventory every single item was ruined on him, clothes and all. I wasn't even aiming at his legs and managed to ruin his pants and everything in there. The damage models are kinda wonky right now and I don't have any good input into how to fix it.

His pant's weren't ruined by the bullets, they were ruined when he heard the first shot ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, it feels like shooting blanks sometimes. 

Edited by Ori42

Yeah, it feels like shooting blanks sometimes. 

They have medication for that, nowadays. /kidding

More seriously, they need to increase the damage for almost all weapons. An arrow to the torso is effectively a death sentence, much less a bullet or an axe

Relatedly, the medical system needs to be much more advanced.

• Like 1

I just emptied a Makarov into a guy at point blank (same range as the video) and hit him once. All shots on target to the upper torso on my end of the PC. He walked away like it didn't even happen.